Advice On Being Sangatless.

Guest Kaur

I live in a very, very gora area. That's not the problem. I have no sangat and there are barely any kirtan programmes. I've just moved home after living in a Sikh populated area.

There are a few Gursikhs around, but they're young, exclusive and selfish. They take what they need from others or from sangat, but as long as they have what they want feel no need to include or help others. They keep certain people out of their "naam abhyaas circle" based on how they feel about them. They're involved in petty conflicts with each other and now with me.

There's nobody else that constitutes good sangat. I travel a little further and there are plently of typical "Gursikh" young mothers who just want to gossip and pry into your business. I could get better sangat from a shovel.

I go to the Gurdwara regularly even though there's nothing on. But I miss kirtan. It just gives you the boost you need to keep going upwards. Without kirtan and sangat, I feel myself going down.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position. How to deal with being sangatless? What substitutes can you make? How can I keep myself going upwards? I don't just want to remain steady on the path, which is hard enough. Obviously I want to excel.. which is why it sucks knowing I don't have Gurmukh sangat.

Note: I've tried making cyber sangat, getting others to Skype with me for naam bani time, people really cba and it doesn't work.