I Watched Nanak Shah Fakir..my Thoughts

I havent seen the film and having seen the inaccuracies in trailers and the depiction of guru ji and family i have no intention to.

concerns about the film that ive witnessed or heard in various reviews:

historical characters such as bibi nanaki and bhai mardana are not being presented as gursikhs (did bibi nanaki used to pluck her eye-brows?).

Aarti scene was wrong in many aspects i.e. whats with bollywood type scene with swaying and dancing,never heard that version before? The arti shabad sung by guru ji wasnt just a continuation of the arti inside the temple but this time under stars and sky. Again whats with the fairy tale like ik onkar appearing in the sky.. made the whole event look fairytale like and not a matter of fact event as described in janamsakhis.

naam khumari episode actually happened with babur and not daulat khan...

The film was obviously not researched properly, and the producers didn't do himself favours by saying it was okayed by scholars and gursikhs when it obviously wasnt. The "sikh" politicians and industry insiders don't qualify!

What really riled me is sikkas arrogance and naivety in calling their 'gursikh' brothers and sisters an extremist minority because they had issue with a issue close to their hearts, this has made me question his motives for repeating the antisikh propaganda of the terrorist indian govt and media. And then to try win cheap points by claiming sikhs are behaving like guru nanaks story is their personal property.

The chaar sahibzaade producers reportedly had over 90 meeting's with sgpc or their reccomended gursikhs (im not endorsing chaar sahibzaade), and this guy came back to them with the completed article.. issues due to his lack of consultation and rhetoric since releasing were inevitable.

The saakhia must stay original and only the historically accepted narrative can be put out in the public domain... then the issue of depiction must be treaded carefully with advice from the relevant sources not a producers own imagination!

Sat Sri Akal ji,

I haven't seen the movie myself. The analysis here is based information obtained from a few acquaintances who saw the movie in Haryana.

The first visual in the movie after the initial production slides, is a note of thanks to the Indian PM Modi and Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray. It clearly shows they were in loop in making of this movie. Shiv sena (along with like-minded anti-sikh RSS) is purely against sikhi, and became the reason of shaheedi of a sikh youth in gurdaspur a few years ago. Do I need to say anything more? Would you support a movie backed by someone responsible for shaheedi of our innocent sikh brother?

And see how selfless Sikka is portaying himself today after taking back the movie. What was the purpose of releasing it if he had to take it back after 3 days of release. "Oh, I respect the Akal Takhat Sahib". Where was respect a few days ago? This can only be possible if he has some cruel motives/anti-sikh political backing behind him.

So the chain of command was: RSS want something to put sikhi down, plans a movie with someone in garb of sikhi-> orders BJP-> orders so called "Panth Ratan" Badal->asks so called "Jathedar" to keep mum-> Hence movie out.

Note: I am not against/aligned to any party, for they change after 5 years. I am with the Akal Purakh who is forever in Raj.

Synopsis: Whatever thing in which RSS is involved should be gauged with extra caution. RSS is involved in this movie (indirectly), so be vigilant. It is a start of their plan, god knows what else they have in store.

Bhul chuk maaf krni,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Many accept this trend of showing Guru Maharaj in movies thinking it will make Sikhs more devout and even go to the extent of saying far fetched things like this movie will convert all the Hindus to Sikhi. Let us take two examples in front of us. one Christianity and the other Islam.

Christians make all sorts of movies about Jesus. Allow Jesus cartoons. They even allow comedians like Sarah Silverman making offensive jokes about Jesus. Now let's look at Muslims, they do not allow movies or cartoons to be made on Prophet Mohammad. When one compares the two religious communities, the Muslims are clearly the more devout people to their religion than the Christians who allow everything to be done with Jesus. Most Christians in reality are agnostics while most Muslims on average are more observant of their religion, Islam.

So clearly this argument that displaying Gurus in movies and Drama Serials will make Sikhs more devout and some how even convert millions of Hindus to Sikhi is a baseless one.

I think the underlying problem is that we tend to equate Sikhi with other religions. Sikhi is sampooran sach, for which Guru Nanak Dev Ji founded a revolutionary way of thought- Sikhi. Bhagat Namdev ji explains it as follows on Ang 874:

Hindhoo Annhaa Thurakoo Kaanaa ||

The Hindu is sightless; the Muslim has only one eye.

Dhuhaan Thae Giaanee Siaanaa ||

The enlightened one is wiser than both of them.

Hindhoo Poojai Dhaehuraa Musalamaan Maseeth ||

The Hindu worships at the temple, the Muslim at the mosque.

Naamae Soee Saeviaa Jeh Dhaehuraa N Maseeth ||4||3||7||

Naam Dev serves that Akal Purakh, who is not limited to either the temple or the mosque. ||4||3||7||

You can easily mock some partial truth, but sampooran (complete) truth Sikhi, should be respected.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Film has been withdrawn:

http://sikhsiyasat.net/2015/04/21/breaking-news-harinder-sikka-withdraws-nanak-shah-fakir-movie/

Even if they edit and re-release the film I doubt cinemas here will be willing to show it again. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us who did want to watch it!

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/04/21/hundreds-evacuated-from-wolverhampton-cinema-after-film-protest/

Lol chill out! Im sure it'll be online soon enough

I just saw the trailer for Arti in the film on youtube, was very beautiful and moving if there was more films like this we would have the gurdwara over-run with people wanting to get in - can't understand why the film has been banned without more discussion - we are our own worst enemies. its why a lot of the gurdwara don't make it a priorty to pass sikhi to the next generation, they want to protect sikhi but end up putting up barriers - e.g not allowing English to be spoken in the darbar. we should be sharing the message of Guru Nanak Dev ji with everyone using all means necessary not being so precious about it. I know the Guru's shoud not be depicted, but this can be respected in the films. In the clips I saw, they were from behind and focused more on reactions of others to Guruji.

Sat Sri Akal ji,

I haven't seen the movie myself. The analysis here is based information obtained from a few acquaintances who saw the movie in Haryana.

The first visual in the movie after the initial production slides, is a note of thanks to the Indian PM Modi and Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray. It clearly shows they were in loop in making of this movie. Shiv sena (along with like-minded anti-sikh RSS) is purely against sikhi, and became the reason of shaheedi of a sikh youth in gurdaspur a few years ago. Do I need to say anything more? Would you support a movie backed by someone responsible for shaheedi of our innocent sikh brother?

And see how selfless Sikka is portaying himself today after taking back the movie. What was the purpose of releasing it if he had to take it back after 3 days of release. "Oh, I respect the Akal Takhat Sahib". Where was respect a few days ago? This can only be possible if he has some cruel motives/anti-sikh political backing behind him.

So the chain of command was: RSS want something to put sikhi down, plans a movie with someone in garb of sikhi-> orders BJP-> orders so called "Panth Ratan" Badal->asks so called "Jathedar" to keep mum-> Hence movie out.

Note: I am not against/aligned to any party, for they change after 5 years. I am with the Akal Purakh who is forever in Raj.

Synopsis: Whatever thing in which RSS is involved should be gauged with extra caution. RSS is involved in this movie (indirectly), so be vigilant. It is a start of their plan, god knows what else they have in store.

Bhul chuk maaf krni,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

wow. It's amazing that you came up with such an elaborate conclusion without even watching the movie. I ask you this...if this movie is pro Hindu and anti Sikhi, then why are they showing scenes where Guru Ji teachs the Hindus about not worshipping statues? why did the movie show Guru Ji refusing to wear the janaoo? why did the movie show Guru Ji telling people to stop practising rituals? Get your facts straight.

Everyone always jumps on the "RSS paranoia" bandwagon. We are becoming the biggest conspiracy theorists out there! I thought the movie was excellent. there was no "agenda" that I've seen. The movie made Sikhi look great! It's this "herd mentality" that is holding us back. Our youth are getting into drugs and alcohol and our biggest concern is to try to shut down things that are actually positive. We have stopped using our logic and good sense, and just become like robots. "this is beadbi"..."this is wrong". Keep complaining while we are losing our youth because we can't get past our stone age thinking. Then we wonder why Sikhs are so misunderstood, and people don't know anything about Sikhi. this movie was a very humbling experience