Behaviour During Akhand Patt

skaur8888

Dear SikhSangat ji

I just came back from gurdwara, during the akhand patt for Vaisakhi, karah parsad was distributed in the middle of Japji Sahib, soon as this happened people began talking and the noise levels were such that the volume on the speakers had to be increased. As the darbar hall has an open staircase from the lower level, all you could hear was the racket coming from downstairs including children screaming and running around. There was an announcement made for quiet but didn't make much difference. I has so hurt and ashamed at this, what will become of our beautiful sikhi if people don't know how to respect our Guru ji. Seems as if people are just their for the social side of it - talking and wearing nice clothes. How can we educate people if they don't listen to the giani?

Viaguruji ka khalsa, viagurji ka fateh

I had exactly the same problem! Thing is, it was the committee members having a good loud chat whilst the akhand path was in its final stage... i ended up walking out. Just cannot concentrate or hear anything. I guess downside to sangat is that 'some people' just dont know when to zip it shut and pray or listen. Sad times however i know exactly what your saying.

i think signage in panjabi would be good and chobehdaars like in india are needed to control and silence or guide sangat.

Dear SikhSangat ji

I just came back from gurdwara, during the akhand patt for Vaisakhi, karah parsad was distributed in the middle of Japji Sahib, soon as this happened people began talking and the noise levels were such that the volume on the speakers had to be increased. As the darbar hall has an open staircase from the lower level, all you could hear was the racket coming from downstairs including children screaming and running around. There was an announcement made for quiet but didn't make much difference. I has so hurt and ashamed at this, what will become of our beautiful sikhi if people don't know how to respect our Guru ji. Seems as if people are just their for the social side of it - talking and wearing nice clothes. How can we educate people if they don't listen to the giani?

Viaguruji ka khalsa, viagurji ka fateh

Guru sahib is watching ,he is the one who looks after all and his sikhi.So try to focus on your own goal,means your avastha.People will automatically get inspire when he wants.

thank you, its good to know people care about this. Yes I think you're right that the key is to educate sangat through discussions and leaflets, and have other sangat guide them in how to show respect will help. Its also something I need to work on and not let what others do distract me - I notice that there are others in the sangat that don't seem affected and wish I could be the same. It inspires me when I see people absorbed in the paat/kirtan so I should try and be this way myself.

It was a lot better yesterday evening and today but announcements still had to be made for quiet,older bibian were staring at or telling those chatting to be quiet which seemed to work wonders.

It's very sad when the gentlemen performing kirtan on stage have to raise their voice to be heard, play the harmonium with more force, and strike the tabla harder in order to drown out the chatter of the sangat, even though they've got powerful microphones in front of them. That's an indictment on the sangat and incredibly embarrassing.

Id have sevadaar ushers standing up by the entrance and kindly asking people to take there conversations elsewhere. Sit in the divan and listen or get out! Its one way traffic. kids running about like its a game from to daddy across the hall, men chatting and wpmen gassing. Its supposed tp be a spiritual experience being in the sangat.

kids running about like its a game from to daddy across the hall

With that one sentence you've demonstrated quite clearly that you have no kids of your own and know nothing about children in general.

As for your point, rather than blaming the children for behaving the way they are supposed to, i.e like children, maybe you should be looking at this islamic type policy we've invented in the west for families to sit apart from one another (men on one side and women on another). Our Sikh tradition in Punjab is for families to sit together as one united unit. This seperation we've created in the west is the reason for much of the problem. You put a bunch of Punjabi women together on one side and you're asking for trouble in terms of nattering / gossiping.

With that one sentence you've demonstrated quite clearly that you have no kids of your own and know nothing about children in general.

As for your point, rather than blaming the children for behaving the way they are supposed to, i.e like children, maybe you should be looking at this islamic type policy we've invented in the west for families to sit apart from one another (men on one side and women on another). Our Sikh tradition in Punjab is for families to sit together as one united unit. This seperation we've created in the west is the reason for much of the problem. You put a bunch of Punjabi women together on one side and you're asking for trouble in terms of nattering / gossiping.

Not just in the west but also in India genders are seated in different areas ive never seen mixed gender seating in india