Questions About Sikhi (From A Non-Sikh)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone,

As the title of the thread suggests, I am currently exploring Sikhi as well as other religious beliefs (including Buddhism and Radha Soami, though I have issues with following a human master). I come from a Christian background, but I would not describe my beliefs as being particularly Christian, as I believe in an all-pervading God who is impersonal, and I believe in systems such as reincarnation and karma. So, I have many questions about Sikhi as I am on my search, and I was hoping that you all might be able to answer some questions for me. None of these questions are meant to challenge your beliefs at all, but merely to express my own doubts and challenges that I face in my search.

1. Buddhism and Sikhism I think are largely similar, but they have a major difference that I find hard to reconcile. Buddhism (at least Theravadan and Zen) teaches that the existence of God can't be answered for sure, and the same can be said for the soul. Instead the Buddha says that we should forget such questions, and instead focus on achieving Nirvana, as these questions impede our spiritual growth. Sikhi (as far as I am aware) states that our ultimate purpose is to merge with God, and reach Sach Khand. The problem is, I can see and understand the reasoning behind both of these positions, and I have a really hard time figuring out what to believe on this issue. How can I resolve this conflict?

2. Scriptures are obviously very important to Sikhs, as the SGGSJ forms the foundation for Sikhi. My question regarding this is, why is reading the Bani repeatedly so important? Is kirtan more beneficial than to practice simran and meditation on the atman inside? I can understand reading it for understanding, and of course reading scriptures at different times in our lives, we will receive different lessons. But is inward meditation not more valuable, provided it is done with a proper spiritual understanding?

3. As I am young and come from the West (I am only 18), I have certain Western values which I find hard to reconcile with both Sikhism and Buddhism, even though I may find the religion very appealing. Specifically, I feel very strongly about gender equality, and that differences between men and women are almost entirely (if not entirely) cultural rather than biological or spiritual in nature. This means that I am a strong advocate of homosexual rights, gay marriage, and transgender rights. I realize that Sikhi has done a lot to stand up for many of these things, but at the same time, I see that homosexuals are not allowed to be married with the Anand Karaj. As a Westerner, this seems to be the same religious dogmatism that I tried to escape when I left Christianity, but maybe I am misunderstanding it.

4. Marriages. As far as I understand, Sikhs do not condone love marriages, and instead practice arranged marriages. What is the harm in a love marriage, or in dating? Again I realize I come from a Western perspective, but I fail to see how these things are harmful to your spirituality. If all of your energy is focused on finding a partner, or on sexual promiscuity, or the like, I can definitely understand it. Also, why can an inter-faith marriage not be done with the Anand Karaj? If a Sikh wants to marry a non-Sikh, isn't that their choice? And if they want to do the marriage the Sikh way, is that not displaying the proper respect to Sikhi? For a long time, I dated a Muslim girl and we planned to be married. Sadly that didn't happen, but I can't imagine missing out on someone who may be the love of my life, because I am limited to only marrying someone of my religion.

5. Again as far as I understand, Guru Nanak Ji shunned religious labels. He stated "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim." So therefore, why have his teachings started a religion? This is something I haven't been able to find much discussion about, and I am quite curious about it. Has Sikhism fallen prey to the same dogmatism that he taught against?

6. The SGGSJ was named as the last Guru for the Sikhs. Does this mean there will never be another Guru? What about when we move out of Kal Yug and into the next age, will there be another succession of Gurus?

I'm sorry for the long list of questions. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you.

Guest Anonymous

Hsingh, I have seen many of his videos and he has helped me understand many things about Sikhi. After having watched his videos I still have these questions, so that's why I am coming here to ask them.

Guest Anonymous

Hsingh, I have watched many of his videos and he is very good at explaining many things. However I still have these questions which I was not able to find satisfying answers to in his videos, so I was hoping to start a discussion here.

1. Sikhs believe we have gone through 8.4 millions lives as basically everything on earth.... We have reached this chance as being human after a long time our karmas are good that we have been able to be religious... The one reason for being sent here on earth is to love waheguru. Who is the light that sustains all. To reach nirvana I believe you have to be desire less... While in sikhi the goal is to reach sachkand. The reason Sikhs feel that going to sachkand. And siding with sikhi is better is because waheguru has sent has down and it is time we merge back with the creator for bliss.

I suggest you one start reading Guru Granth Sahib Ji translations. That will help you see what sikhi is about better... When reading please shoes and cover your head and treat it respectfully.

Also you should try simran.... There you will realize the bliss.

http://searchgurbani.com/guru_granth_sahib/ang_by_ang

Guest Anonymous

1. Sikhs believe we have gone through 8.4 millions lives as basically everything on earth.... We have reached this chance as being human after a long time our karmas are good that we have been able to be religious... The one reason for being sent here on earth is to love waheguru. Who is the light that sustains all. To reach nirvana I believe you have to be desire less... While in sikhi the goal is to reach sachkand. The reason Sikhs feel that going to sachkand. And siding with sikhi is better is because waheguru has sent has down and it is time we merge back with the creator for bliss.

I suggest you one start reading Guru Granth Sahib Ji translations. That will help you see what sikhi is about better... When reading please shoes and cover your head and treat it respectfully.

Also you should try simran.... There you will realize the bliss.

http://searchgurbani.com/guru_granth_sahib/ang_by_ang

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post my last message twice. I forgot I had posted it. What is the difference between Nirvana and Sach Khand? The two seem to be described in much the same way, and while I realize that such an experience cannot be described by our very limited minds, are the depictions not very similar? Could onenesss with Waheguru be described as indistinguishable from Nirvana, Sach Khand, from that very experience of egolessness? Pardon if I am misunderstanding, I am just attempting to grasp a very difficult concept to describe.

I will start reading. Unfortunately I am not near a Gurdwara, so I can't attend and read there (though I did visit a few when I was in the UK and it was a very peaceful experience). I have downloaded it on my phone. Should I observe the same protocol when I read it on my phone, or on my computer?

1. Yes Buddhism(B) and Sikhism (S) are very similar. We both believe in meditation n transcending this human experience. To get to God though one has to clean themselves and get rid of karma n desires n lust/anger/greed/pride/attachment and then one reaches Nirvana beyond this is realizing our true self then becoming one with God. So we believe in S that B only takes u half way. But it helps u accomplish the hardest part getting rid of all the stuff I mentioned above so B in that respect is similar to S. But beyond we think there is more.

2. To merge with God u need love. And to love God u need to know God n be 'clean' of karmic debt n desires. Gurbani does all this. Try reading it: it leads one to God, it cleans u, it allows u to fall in love with God, it let's u know God. Its not instructions to God it is the path to God as basicsofsikhi always says. It is not supposed to replace meditation but complement it n increase the yields n benefits.

3. In B one is encouraged to be a monk n give up the world including marriage so nothing hinders meditation n getting rid of desires. But in S one has to stay in world n do all things: defense, marriage,earn a living,etc But we Sikhs should only do them minimally as well to avoid getting stuck in desires. There fore only marriage between a man n woman is allowed for children and a homosexual marriage main foundation will be lust/love which is desire filled.Sikhs should mentally live as monks while leading householder lives so too much attachment to ppl/objects is not good.

4. That's why love marriages are not as prevalent because some ppl are trying to minimize lust/attachment in their lives. When one is in love they are obsessed with their lover n might not put the creator/meditation first. But love marriages are on the rise among Sikhs as well. In India and especially the west.nobody is banning/forbidding or against love marriages in Sikhi. Its just they are not the best in terms of divorce rates, spiritually.interfaith marriages are seen as a mockery when done in Gurudwara.because during Anand Karaj both parties are promising that their only Guru n path is SGGS n Sikhi and it will be the center of their lives. If u do not agree to this then by all means have an interfaith marriage but not an Anand Karaj please.

5. Yes our soul is not confined to a label. Yet while we are on earth we should live a certain way n our Gurus told us how to. Some may call this a religion. And having a certain religious label will not help unless they have the deeds as well. And yes many Sikhs seem to have forgotten that n believe being a Sunday Sikh or being a Sikh in name

is enough.

6. Who knows? But I don't think so cuz SGGS is perfect complete Guru. But in some sources some Avatars have been predicted such as Nihklank Avatar when kalyug is at its deepest darkest...

Hello everyone,

1. Buddhism and Sikhism I think are largely similar, but they have a major difference that I find hard to reconcile. Buddhism (at least Theravadan and Zen) teaches that the existence of God can't be answered for sure, and the same can be said for the soul. Instead the Buddha says that we should forget such questions, and instead focus on achieving Nirvana, as these questions impede our spiritual growth. Sikhi (as far as I am aware) states that our ultimate purpose is to merge with God, and reach Sach Khand. The problem is, I can see and understand the reasoning behind both of these positions, and I have a really hard time figuring out what to believe on this issue. How can I resolve this conflict?

Buddhism lacks the true teacher (Guru). Buddha was not a Guru himself, but a seeker. He tried many forms of "religious" practices from Hinduism, but he could not find peace of mind. Buddhism was constructed out of trial and error and to this day they are still in trial and error. Once Buddha found something remotely that gave him peace he stopped going further and call this experience nirvana. Buddhism cannot give the answer of whether God existed because they never received the answer from God. This goes back to Buddha not being the true teacher and being just a seeker. Seekers in the past have met God like Bhagat Kabir ji, Bhagat Ravidas ji, Bhagat Namdev ji. All these seekers were given the grace of the True Guru once they were chosen by God. These seekers also went through trial and error, but they showed more faith and contentment than Buddha to reach the highest state, Sachkhand. Buddha had faith in his ways, which became his biggest block. Bhagat Kabir ji like Buddha started with faith, but Bhagat Kabir ji kept his faith in the highest and most perfect reality (call it God, Sachkhand, etc). Hinduism says a seeker needs a teacher, Buddha abandoned this path and also abandoned to search for the true Guru. Sikhi kills the I am so and so and Buddha indulged in it to the point of losing the end game. He became his own teacher. There is only one teacher and we follow the teacher (God, Guru).

2. Scriptures are obviously very important to Sikhs, as the SGGSJ forms the foundation for Sikhi. My question regarding this is, why is reading the Bani repeatedly so important? Is kirtan more beneficial than to practice simran and meditation on the atman inside? I can understand reading it for understanding, and of course reading scriptures at different times in our lives, we will receive different lessons. But is inward meditation not more valuable, provided it is done with a proper spiritual understanding?

What inward meditation can you do without the true teacher? My (your) mind is limited and does not know what meditation is truly. We are all the frog stuck in the well. Only with the true teacher can we come out of the well and see for the first time what the world (all of creation is). I can give you a complex math problem and you can work hard at it and ask many people. Without my lesson plan you will surely fail the math problem. Many have tried their way to what they believe is the highest state/being/place. But they did not reach the highest, most perfect, and exalted state/place/being. Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji) is the only true teacher, which can solve this complex math problem for a human being and take them to the highest state/place/being. Reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the only true air in our lungs. Without it's teachings we are the walking dead. I can speak of my experience of spiritual wisdom, but it is only babbling. Only when I read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji am I speaking of spiritual wisdom and meditating on the true words of God. Kirtan, simran, and reading Gurbani are equally valuable in the same way. None have lesser or more power to take us closer to God. The human is drawn more to one (say kirtan) and thinks, this one over the other two is more powerful, but we need to remember we cannot judge something with our limited minds, which is unlimited and infinity. To another human simran is more powerful and the other two do not give them that same spiritual experience. We are engrossed in maya and cannot feel the same experience in all three. All three are in Gurbani, so why discriminate between them? We are lacking in something, not Kirtan, simran or reading Gurbani.

First of all i would remind you that all religions are the way to meet god.All says the truth,it is the human mind which makes a religion rot by modifying its true values day by day.

1. For them the existance of god cannot be sure because they have not seen god.Buddha was a saint,he believed in the energy in our body which continouosly flow with the energy outside of our body.But there are limits to his knowledge as he was not totally enlighted.

For example÷ When Guru Nanak dev ji was on his journey a quazi said that, u says there are many of many heavens and hells but in quran it is written that there are only 7 heavens and 7 hells .

Although both were correct but Guru Nanak dev ji was talking about the whole universe in which there are many galaxies and each galaxy have 7 heavens and 7 hells.

2.Bani is the words of Guru so we call them "Gurbani".Without a guru no one had or will achieve god because guru is the only medium which gives us enlightment.Kirtan,naam simran ,katha all are forms of reciting Gurbani because all are composed of the words form Gurbani.For more understanding on this i recommend you any biography on life of a mahapurush for example "se kinehiya" which can also be found as english version on google.

3.Homosexuality can be seen as a result of our past life karams.Due to our bad habits and bad sexual life.More can also be explained by the means of Guru sakhis and biographies of mahapurushs.

4.Basically 90% of love marriages are the direct result of lust and immaturity etc.Chatting,watching movies and many more things as two teenagers in a relationship makes a huge impact on our spirituality too.Love marriage can be done but only the compatablity sholud be seen in the relation.

Inter-faith marriages can be done if the another partner agrees to be a part of sikh family(i.e get baptised).If your partner belongs to other religion how can you both live together and be faithful to your own religion.

5.Surely he said that "there is no hindu,no muslim " because all the world was on a religion war that time saying that there religion is more superior.He has also stated that "a hindu should be true hindu and a muslim sholuld be true muslim"(they must deeply learn thier religion values and reasons).This type of knowledge cannot be gained just by reading internet blogs and sites.You must study a religion scripture very deeply(In Gurbani there are many correct explanations,teachings to 1 line ).For more information why Guru Gobind Singh ji made a religion,get the explanation of "Dasam Granth" from a well known sikh site.

6.There is almost 4 lakh years to happen it.....lol.

No one knows what will happen.Try getting a very high avastha,open your third eye and see it yourself.

Guest Anonymous

3. In B one is encouraged to be a monk n give up the world including marriage so nothing hinders meditation n getting rid of desires. But in S one has to stay in world n do all things: defense, marriage,earn a living,etc But we Sikhs should only do them minimally as well to avoid getting stuck in desires. There fore only marriage between a man n woman is allowed for children and a homosexual marriage main foundation will be lust/love which is desire filled.Sikhs should mentally live as monks while leading householder lives so too much attachment to ppl/objects is not good.

4. That's why love marriages are not as prevalent because some ppl are trying to minimize lust/attachment in their lives. When one is in love they are obsessed with their lover n might not put the creator/meditation first. But love marriages are on the rise among Sikhs as well. In India and especially the west.nobody is banning/forbidding or against love marriages in Sikhi. Its just they are not the best in terms of divorce rates, spiritually.interfaith marriages are seen as a mockery when done in Gurudwara.because during Anand Karaj both parties are promising that their only Guru n path is SGGS n Sikhi and it will be the center of their lives. If u do not agree to this then by all means have an interfaith marriage but not an Anand Karaj please.

5. Yes our soul is not confined to a label. Yet while we are on earth we should live a certain way n our Gurus told us how to. Some may call this a religion. And having a certain religious label will not help unless they have the deeds as well. And yes many Sikhs seem to have forgotten that n believe being a Sunday Sikh or being a Sikh in name

is enough.

3. So if the goal is to get rid of desires and ego and such, would a monastic life not be more effective at doing so?

4. That makes sense. As a westerner it is hard for me to accept arranged marriages, since love is so ingrained in my cultural values and is very important to me. Love marriages are acceptable then, but not encouraged? What about a marriage in which there is more mature love and the couple grows together spiritually? Is this easier to achieve in a love marriage or an arranged marriage? I don't think I could live in a loveless marriage, but perhaps I am misunderstanding arranged marriages. Pardon me, it is simply something I've never considered before.

5. This makes a lot of sense. Just as Christians have a very strong sense of morals and principles, many have forgotten them and I would say most Christians nowadays just go to Church on Sunday and consider that their moral responsibility. There is no spiritual striving, and no growth.

Buddhism lacks the true teacher (Guru). Buddha was not a Guru himself, but a seeker. He tried many forms of "religious" practices from Hinduism, but he could not find peace of mind. Buddhism was constructed out of trial and error and to this day they are still in trial and error. Once Buddha found something remotely that gave him peace he stopped going further and call this experience nirvana. Buddhism cannot give the answer of whether God existed because they never received the answer from God. This goes back to Buddha not being the true teacher and being just a seeker. Seekers in the past have met God like Bhagat Kabir ji, Bhagat Ravidas ji, Bhagat Namdev ji. All these seekers were given the grace of the True Guru once they were chosen by God. These seekers also went through trial and error, but they showed more faith and contentment than Buddha to reach the highest state, Sachkhand. Buddha had faith in his ways, which became his biggest block. Bhagat Kabir ji like Buddha started with faith, but Bhagat Kabir ji kept his faith in the highest and most perfect reality (call it God, Sachkhand, etc). Hinduism says a seeker needs a teacher, Buddha abandoned this path and also abandoned to search for the true Guru. Sikhi kills the I am so and so and Buddha indulged in it to the point of losing the end game. He became his own teacher. There is only one teacher and we follow the teacher (God, Guru).

What inward meditation can you do without the true teacher? My (your) mind is limited and does not know what meditation is truly. We are all the frog stuck in the well. Only with the true teacher can we come out of the well and see for the first time what the world (all of creation is). I can give you a complex math problem and you can work hard at it and ask many people. Without my lesson plan you will surely fail the math problem. Many have tried their way to what they believe is the highest state/being/place. But they did not reach the highest, most perfect, and exalted state/place/being. Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji) is the only true teacher, which can solve this complex math problem for a human being and take them to the highest state/place/being. Reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the only true air in our lungs. Without it's teachings we are the walking dead. I can speak of my experience of spiritual wisdom, but it is only babbling. Only when I read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji am I speaking of spiritual wisdom and meditating on the true words of God. Kirtan, simran, and reading Gurbani are equally valuable in the same way. None have lesser or more power to take us closer to God. The human is drawn more to one (say kirtan) and thinks, this one over the other two is more powerful, but we need to remember we cannot judge something with our limited minds, which is unlimited and infinity. To another human simran is more powerful and the other two do not give them that same spiritual experience. We are engrossed in maya and cannot feel the same experience in all three. All three are in Gurbani, so why discriminate between them? We are lacking in something, not Kirtan, simran or reading Gurbani.

How can you know that God is the true teacher? How can you know that God exists? I ask these questions not as an attack, but because I would like to hear your answers and the answers of other Sikhs.

This is a very good point. Thank you for making this clear to me.

1. For them the existance of god cannot be sure because they have not seen god.Buddha was a saint,he believed in the energy in our body which continouosly flow with the energy outside of our body.But there are limits to his knowledge as he was not totally enlighted.

For example÷ When Guru Nanak dev ji was on his journey a quazi said that, u says there are many of many heavens and hells but in quran it is written that there are only 7 heavens and 7 hells .

Although both were correct but Guru Nanak dev ji was talking about the whole universe in which there are many galaxies and each galaxy have 7 heavens and 7 hells.

2.Bani is the words of Guru so we call them "Gurbani".Without a guru no one had or will achieve god because guru is the only medium which gives us enlightment.Kirtan,naam simran ,katha all are forms of reciting Gurbani because all are composed of the words form Gurbani.For more understanding on this i recommend you any biography on life of a mahapurush for example "se kinehiya" which can also be found as english version on google.

3.Homosexuality can be seen as a result of our past life karams.Due to our bad habits and bad sexual life.More can also be explained by the means of Guru sakhis and biographies of mahapurushs.

4.Basically 90% of love marriages are the direct result of lust and immaturity etc.Chatting,watching movies and many more things as two teenagers in a relationship makes a huge impact on our spirituality too.Love marriage can be done but only the compatablity sholud be seen in the relation.

Inter-faith marriages can be done if the another partner agrees to be a part of sikh family(i.e get baptised).If your partner belongs to other religion how can you both live together and be faithful to your own religion.

5.Surely he said that "there is no hindu,no muslim " because all the world was on a religion war that time saying that there religion is more superior.He has also stated that "a hindu should be true hindu and a muslim sholuld be true muslim"(they must deeply learn thier religion values and reasons).This type of knowledge cannot be gained just by reading internet blogs and sites.You must study a religion scripture very deeply(In Gurbani there are many correct explanations,teachings to 1 line ).For more information why Guru Gobind Singh ji made a religion,get the explanation of "Dasam Granth" from a well known sikh site.

6.There is almost 4 lakh years to happen it.....lol.

No one knows what will happen.Try getting a very high avastha,open your third eye and see it yourself.

1. How do you know that the Buddha was not totally enlightened?

2. I will give it a look, thank you for the recommendation.

3. So homosexuality is a punishment? Why is this the case, and why would being homosexual be any lesser than being heterosexual? This doesn't seem to be in the spirit of tolerance that initially drew me to Sikhi.

4. This is definitely true, at least for young people. The western world has a very high divorce rate, and that's for a reason. However, what about older couples, or couples with more mature love for each other? I guess that would be the other 10%.

I don't see different religions as a barrier. Of course, being of the same religion can greatly help your spiritual growth if you are both on the same path, however if you are married to someone who is of the same religion but you are not as compatible as you thought, it can hinder your growth. I would argue that it is not impossible for both to live together. My parents have an interfaith marriage (or, what some would consider to be one. They come from two very very different sects of Christianity).

5. That is a good message. We should not look at religious labels as barriers, and realize we are all humans and of the same source, but we should also adhere to our religion and be true to our faith. However I still don't feel like my question was answered. Why did Sikhi, in particular, become a religion? Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you stated and if I am then I apologize.

Thank you all for the answers. They are very interesting to me, and have given me things to think about. Last night I read the Japji Sahib and tonight I will read more.