Questions About Sikhism From A Non-Sikh

Guest Bram

I was born in a Christian family, but ever since I started learning about Christianity I couldn't help but disagree with a lot of Christian viewpoints. Since I did/do believe in God, but just didn't agree with Christianity, I started reading about other religions. When I came across Sikhism, I concluded: This is the right religion for me, it has the same opinions about life and God as I. Since some time I've been reading and learning as much as possible about Sikhism. I am trying to live like a Sikh should, and I am planning on taken Amrit when I feel ready for it.

However I still have some questions:

1. Is there a good way to learn Punjabi online?(I can read Gurmukhi already, so just the language)

2. Would it be okay to translate the Guru Granth Sahib into my native language(dutch)?

3. At what age should one start doing Sewa?

4. There is no Gurdwara near my home, is this going to be a big problem?

5. Today in Biology class we did a small practicum on flies, we had to count and describe them. Afterwards we were told to kill the flies by giving them an overdose of Ether(a narcotic), or our instructors would throw the anesthetic flies in oil for them to drown. I chose to kill the flies(49) by giving them an overdose of the narcotic, which I thought would be less painful than drowning. However, I don't know if I made the right choice, should I have done something else?

Thanks in Advance

1. I think pimsleur has a beginning Punjabi learning CD

2.Yes absolutely, but remember if you're translating from a translation there will be more mistakes ( like from English to dutch)

3.seva is helping out/ volunteering. You should start as soon as one us capable and has time.

4. No...but u shud visit a Gurudwara once a year.I know there is a Gurudwara in Holland where Dutch Sikhs go..u can visit on visaakhi.Also check out manvirsingh.blogspot because he goes to Holland to do camps.

5. As long as you choose the more humane method and ask for forgiveness... U shud be ok

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ

Are you from Nederlands? We have some great articles on our site that might interest you, including the Sikh code of conduct.

See here - http://www.discoversikhism.com/sikh_library/other.html

Some answers to your questions,

1. Yes, there are a few sites, you can try the Punjabi/ Gurmukhi section on our site (or try the Sikh website links we created of other Sikh sites)

2. Yes, but you need a very good understanding of Gurbani first. Existing translations in other languages including English are not entirely accurate.

3. Sewa can be done at any age, young or old.

4. If you can't visit a local Gurdwara that's ok, If you have a local Sikh community see if they can help, perhaps someone might have a Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji at home.

5. You should not kill, it would have been better to refuse the instruction. All life is very precious.

Sikhi (Punjabi term) is an amazing journey of self-discovery, we wish you well.

I was born in a Christian family, but ever since I started learning about Christianity I couldn't help but disagree with a lot of Christian viewpoints. Since I did/do believe in God, but just didn't agree with Christianity, I started reading about other religions. When I came across Sikhism, I concluded: This is the right religion for me, it has the same opinions about life and God as I. Since some time I've been reading and learning as much as possible about Sikhism. I am trying to live like a Sikh should, and I am planning on taken Amrit when I feel ready for it.

1. Is there a good way to learn Punjabi online?(I can read Gurmukhi already, so just the language)

2. Would it be okay to translate the Guru Granth Sahib into my native language(dutch)?

5. Today in Biology class we did a small practicum on flies, we had to count and describe them. Afterwards we were told to kill the flies by giving them an overdose of Ether(a narcotic), or our instructors would throw the anesthetic flies in oil for them to drown. I chose to kill the flies(49) by giving them an overdose of the narcotic, which I thought would be less painful than drowning. However, I don't know if I made the right choice, should I have done something else?

Thanks in Advance

Hello friend, try this.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UNLfJ1TsJm0OHEOslS3NOqGduHwggGg

Thanks in Advance

Bram I think you should get in touch with Theodorus Singh

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=615133711892794&set=vb.100001885119104&type=3&theater

Thank you for your answers.

I've checked out the sites you suggested, and found them to be really helpful.

As for translating the Guru Granth Sahib Ji into Dutch, I am going to wait a couple of years until I am fluent in Punjabi so that I will be able to translate directly from Punjabi into Dutch.

Many thanks or helping me out!

Brother Bram Singh, are you based in the Netherlands or Belgium?

You might contact the following people who embraced Sikhi and are native Dutch speakers, they might help or inspire you...

1. Japjeet Kaur alias Nele is a Dutch speaking Belgian who embraced Sikhi. She did street parchaar in Dutch too in Leuven, a Belgian city.

https://www.facebook.com/japjeet.kaur.nele?fref=ts

2. Theodorus Singh Snellen is another Dutch Singh

https://www.facebook.com/theodorus.snellen?fref=photo

3. There is also Harjinder Singh 'Man in Blue' who is a Dutch Sikh.

https://maninblue1947.wordpress.com/

Guest Truth

Hi

People can start doing Seva at whatever age, there are kids at the Gurdwarra who mop the floors, help make food etc.

It doesn't matter if there isn't a Gurdwarra near you. Our bodies are Gods temple, everything and everyone you see outside of yourself, come from Within yourself. If there is a quiet room in your house, sit there and you can do your meditation. Doing it from 12:30/1am onwards for at least 2.5 hrs is most effective. Relax, listen to the ringing sound(Anhad Naad/primal sound symbolic of the silence of Truth) Look up when you do it.

The trick is to take what you have learned in your early morning meditation(amrit vela samadhi) and stay grounded in it during the day. Don't let life take you, it's just an illusion, a game to discover Truth. We are born to live, so live and enjoy and embrace life, but live truthfully- be good, don't lie, don't slander or listen to slander, and apply Guru Granth Sahib teachings to your daily life.

God bless you

Satnaam