Do You Get Peace Of Mind In The Gurdwara?

bigcat13

In some Gurdware you will find instant peace like a weight being lifted upon your shoulders upon entering and in others the mind simply wavers no matter how hard we try to concentrate. I cant quite place my finger on why, but I feel its to do with the number of years bhagti, kirtan and paat has been performed at the Gurdwara and by whom.

The old Havelock Road Gurdwara, was like Sachkhand and the feelings and experiences cannot be compared to the new building. It had the added benefit of being visited by many Sant Mahapursh before it was razed to pave way for the hotel like building that stands in its place.

I too find it annoying when people are talking, yapping away on their phones or otherwise during a vaak, ardas, kirtan and so on and always maintained committees should purchase kit that blocks phone signals within the darbar hall. In the olden days, the bajurags who were respected used to put younger members of sangat in place and kids would regularly be told off and occasionally slapped for misbehaving. Who listens these days, people have too much ego and shoot back rudely. Buildings are used as social clubs. Folk sit in the hall for 5 mins if they can stretch to that and run to the langar hall not having learnt a thing.

-Just learn to shut off from the surroundings.

-Go in and pay attention only to what you hear on the loud speaker...... whether it's kirtan, katha or the bani being read.

-Keep your eyes down and try not to look around at others and avoid direct eye contact to someone that may be distracting....better still,,try to avoid direct eye contact with anyone.

-Make it clear to yourself that the direct eye contact you will make will be after you take your shoe/socks off and walk towards the Guru Saroop in the darbar.

- once you matha tek, then go sit towards front and towards the far right of where men are sitting so that you don't smell or feel the presence of any women walking past.

- Avoid paying attention to any noise behind you and towards your left,...and keep your full dhian towards Guru saroop and main stage.

When you are looking around and taking notice of the way girls/women may be dressed... then you are simply polluting your own purity by firstly looking, judging and making conclusions about others.....................this does not do your sikhi any favours at all !

This is what I do mostly and hardly ever feel that someone has sanctified my saas from the satguru.

It will take quite bit of awareness campaign to make gurdwara environment from modern day to traditional learning-adapting gurmat- gurdwara dharam like sample one below- jawaadi taksal. So do what you can do your part for awareness campaign to gurdwara to adapt traditional style learning but also do self reflection as well... take outside distractions as test for our own sikhi -if your mind is in inner turmoil or not..take it as test and self improve yourself For eg- if outside flashy dress can easily affect our own inner mind or state of mind in sikhi then problem ultimately lies in ourselves- in our inner jevan- how feeble our inner sikhi/avastha really is. Real Gursikh/Gurmukh state of mind is so dissolved/consumed/stilled in alive shabad jot consciousness that whole world can destroy in front of them in blink of eye they will not even have small wave/ripple in inner state of mind which is absolutely dissolved in absolute unfathomable pure ocean of shabad stillness awareness bliss.

1167203_577885379019145_2972040609397876

I try and visit the gurdwara on a Sunday. Ive found that I just cannot relax and listen to the katha, keertan or path.

when walking in im smelling strong perfum that a non practising sikh girl/woman is wearing then when i look shes dressed like a slapper. Short arms, bright dress! Hair out and a see through chunni And tighest kameez. Why!!?

Then i take my shoes off and after being nuged by others as the gurdwara is full i eventually reach the divan only to see everyone stairing at me like im wearing a pair of knickers on my head! Then eventually when i sit down im cramped between people or someones talking constantly next to me. I just get so frustrated and leave. I see the singhs all in the banaa. Then look across to see the women just dressed like its a fashion show and seeking attention. Its so wrong. And its getting worse. I dont feel like going to the gurdwara anymore. I often go when theres no people as its peaceful and you aint listening to there crap.

Wanted to know are other gursikhs or sikhs finding the same when attending the gurdwara??

You should go for a change in routine.

Visit Gurdwara early on Sunday, attend morning Diwaan instead of evening.

I am sure you will find Sangat whose more into Gurbani & Seva rather than gossip n fashion.

If you are looking for peace go on weekdays when there is low attendance.

"Change Approach, Change your World"

Yeh found my answer. Im more frustrated at peoples fashion and noise. I guess im disciplined and expect desency from people which isnt possible. Yes going in the morning divan will be something i will be doing definately.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and views.

Yeh found my answer. Im more frustrated at peoples fashion and noise. I guess im disciplined and expect desency from people which isnt possible. Yes going in the morning divan will be something i will be doing definately.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and views.

You should not be frustrated at others fashion as one cannot change the way the world wishes to dress, but one can maintain themselves and thus will create awareness which will make others notice. Maybe from looking at you, they will have different view and think about changing their ways of dress.

Noise, Hanji people do talk too much in diwan sometimes, but it's different atmosphere of sangat at different Gurdwaras. Yes go at times when it is quieter.