The 4 Ages

singhcity

Do you have any immortal Saints?

I mean besides the Gurus do you have any Saints that have reached the ultimate goal?

It's a genuine question.

Nothing can be immortal. A saint who ultimately becomes one with god does not want to live forever. The only true thing in this world is death.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the world is a very evil and corrupt place mostly and I think we need a new age to begin. I'm not a perfect Sikh, I've been recently becoming closer to God, I haven't been baptised or wear a turban but its a gradual process I suppose. God is the only being we need to be worried about, he is the one we need to become closer to and show how much we love him. Earth is a temporary place don't become attached, the true beauty is located beyond this world.

peace

• 5 years later...

As per my limited knowledge, Yug length and the related human lifespan, is only mentioned in the Purans, not in the earlier literature of Veds and Upanishids.

I have not seen the lengths of each yug and life spans of humans mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but only the moral decay of man is stressed upon.

If you take the Puran's literal numbers, then you have a massive clash with our current understanding. For example, satyug has a timeframe of over 1.7 million years with humans having a 100,000 year life span and heights of over 30 feet. This progressively decreases by a 1\4 in each yug. This in no way adds up to our current understanding. Look at all the world’s civilizations, nothing much beyond 10,000 years ago. Even hindus themselves believe that Ram was around 1200 BC while Krishna was around 3000 BC ( yes, placing Ram after Krishna).

Some sampardaic katha vachaks still preach the Puranic version of yug age, which is understandable, since this was the most used literature in their traditions. Sant Singh Maskeen ji did not follow the Puran model for yugs, they have done beautiful katha on yugs corresponding to the societal mindset of the majority. They have even explained Yug theory according to the progression of civilization using currently accepted dates by the scientific community.

I am not criticizing those brothers who hold firm to Puran based Yug theories, since those numbers have been used in our sampardas( with best intentions, since that was the “science” of the time). But a clash is inevitable, as with the rise of “missionaries”. More and more aspects will be scrutinized when current understandings don’t work with old ideas. Good to go back to our core, Gurbani, and find the solution.