Tulwar Martial Arts

Gatka doesn't compliment indo Persian weaponary or tulwars. If you actually study puratan shastars and take note of the weight, length, cutting direction of the blade, weapon usage I.e: skirmish, close quarter combat, melee, limb hacking.

You will realise gatka uses these weapons in completely the wrong way, they have no concept of the correct usage of shastar.

For bladed weapons in general look to eskrima, silat, etc..Filipino arts. These are not tailored to the tulwar or indo Persian weaponry.

The other alternative is to learn shastar vidiya from Niddar Singh, who is generally a controversial character but is greatly knowedgable on indo Persian weaponary and its usage. Watch some of his YouTube videos if your skeptical.

I'm in Ontario Canada so niddar is out of the question. Never liked gatka... I am leaning a bit more towards Filipino martial arts cause of practicality but what would be good for a tulwar or other indo persian weapons? Would i be able to use FMA techniques with a tulwar or indo Persian weapons? Or would it be awkward?

FMA isn't designed for tulwara/long bladed weapons its more for shorter bladed weapons... The Filipino warriors killed off a lot of the samurai warriors that came to rage war with them... the katanas were of no use in dense jungle land... its easier to use a smaller machete like weapon in jungle area for close combat. Dont get me wrong it would be a good foundation fma for foot work, ranges, disarms,trapping,basic grappling/boxing and misalignments. if you wanted to learn how to use tulvaara then try find a art that uses long swords such as Niten Ichi-ryū ( a Japanese form that uses double katanas)...

You could even do JKD. i'd recommend drop in to each class and see what works for you. not every art suits everybody's needs...