Bhavrasamrit/ Vivek Pradipika -Books Needed

Singhstah

I got bhavrasmrit from dtf book store in bham. I have seen the other book listed on waterstones website. Try googling the books and they might be available through online booksites.

I haven't read the second book book but the first book is translation of rachna of bhai gulab singh jee who was from nirmal samparda. Nirmal samparda intepret Gurmat through lens of Vedant which is a philosophy within hinduism.

Reading spiritual books is good to increase knowledge but Gurmat is above and vakhra (seperate) from other philosophies and religions. To get better understanding of Gurmat i suggest books by Gursikhs such as bhia gurdaas jee, bhan nand lal jee, bhai randhir singh jee, bhai vir singh jee, giani udham singh jee etc.

Gurmat is very simple marag to meet god through naam simran. Over and over again gurbani stresses importance of naam simran.

Bhul chuk maaf jee.

In Sri Anand Sahib da paath on ang 919 the following line comes about the vedas and Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji tells the meaning in his audio katha.

ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ

In the vedas Naam is prime, but they don't hear it and they wander around like demons.

Sant ji explains how a pandit asked, if in the Vedas the Naam is prime, then what was the reason for Gurbani? Sant ji says learned scholars gave the pandit an answer by saying ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ can be only received in the Guru's sangat. They don't even listen to the ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ. They are going after karam khand. This means the Vedas know Naam exist, but they can't deliver it.

This is Sant ji's view on vedas and not what the secular-quasi religious fanatics fabricate. All he has been doing is propaganda and misusing Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji's name. The missionaries do the same with Sant Jarnail Singh ji name. The method of how atma becomes one with Akal Purakh is not known to the vedas or any other vedant scripture. Neither can Vedas unite anyone's atma with Akal Purakh as was just explained in Sant ji's katha. Only Guru's sangat (Gurbani) can unite the atma with Akal Purakh.

This person is thick headed. He can't understand Gurbani, yet he acts like he knows everything about it. He sits on this forum and drags Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji name into the mud. I don't call him secular-quasi religious fanatics out of hate or anything sinful. But it is the best description of this character. He wants to give the impression of being religious, but all his views are of a secular fanatic.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading Gurbani and I came across something that adds to this discussion. The Sikhs who support the Vedas as having the Naam really have rushed to conclusion. Let's listen to what Gurbani says on ang 1026.

ਦੇਹੀ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ

The Naam abides inside the body.

Now let's look at the tuk on ang 919, which speaks of the Vedas:

ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ

In the vedas Naam is prime, but they don't hear it and they wander around like demons.

Let's make this a little more clear and ask Guru Sahib what the Vedas consist of:

gauVI mhlw 1 ]

gourree mehalaa 1 ||

Gauree, First Mehla:

jnim mrY qRY gux ihqkwru ]

janam marai thrai gun hithakaar ||

One who loves the three qualities is subject to birth and death.

cwry byd kQih Awkwru ]

chaarae baedh kathhehi aakaar ||

The four Vedas speak only of the visible forms.

qIin AvsQw khih viKAwnu ]

theen avasathhaa kehehi vakhiaan ||

They describe and explain the three states of mind,

qurIAwvsQw siqgur qy hir jwnu ]1]

thureeaavasathhaa sathigur thae har jaan ||1||

but the fourth state, union with the Lord, is known only through the True Guru. ||1||

Now let's ask Guru Sahib and see what the body consist of on ang 1343:

ਏਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਹੈ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਧਾਤੁ

This body is the three gunas in reality.

Let's make it even more simpler for everyone. Listen further from ang 1276:

ਬੇਦ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਗੁ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਕਰੇ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ

Through the Vedas the world is only contemplating on the three gunas.

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜਮ ਡੰਡੁ ਸਹੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਵਾਰੋ ਵਾਰ

Without the Naam, the messenger of death makes them suffer and they are born many times.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭੇਟੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥੧॥

Meeting Satguru, one is liberated and finds the door of salvation.

What conclusion have you come to now? Do you see how the body and the Vedas are no different? They consist of the same three gunas and are held in bondage to them, even though the Naam is in both of them. The Sikhs who support the vedas as having the Naam really have to watch what they say because they are implying the Vedas can give you Naam because the Naam is in the Vedas (compatible with gurmat, etc). Such logic falls in the gutter because so does the body have the Naam inside. Then how come I am not jivan mukht or can't make others jivan mukht?

As Sant Baba Gurbachan explained in his Katha and as Gurbani explains, ONLY Satguru can give anyone mukhti. Nothing is compatible with Gurmat/Gurbani because they lack the fourth state; Dhan Dhan Satguru Nanak Dev ji.

• 2 years later...

Sadh Sangat Ji, I found some really good books on Vedant here  -  Books on Vedant  They are in Gurmukhi though, but thought would share them  with all of you who can understand Gurmukhi. Yes I agree that Gurmat is Supreme and nothing stands in  comparison to it but sometimes reading other texts enables you to better understanding of Gurmat Concepts as well and clears some doubts. So keep your minds open and when Guru blesses you, you will understand it all.