Young Teen's Best Friend Is Living With Him And His Parents

Guest FYIkiy

Guest FYIkiy

Hi guys I was talking to a 14 year old Sikh named Navjot Singh on facebookfrom Jammu whose family took in his best friend who is a non-Sikh after his parents kicked him out of their home and he told me his parents have forbade his best friend to cut his hair and have forced him to wear a patka. What do you guys think of this.

Hi guys I was talking to a 14 year old Sikh named Navjot Singh on facebookfrom Jammu whose family took in his best friend who is a non-Sikh after his parents kicked him out of their home and he told me his parents have forbade his best friend to cut his hair and have forced him to wear a patka. What do you guys think of this.

depends if his best friend has decided to go towards sikhi..

depends if his best friend has decided to go towards sikhi..

Yes, this is the central considering point.

However....when a 14 year old has been forced to leave his parents home, then he would obviously be most vulnerable.......and the last thing that anyone should be doing is forcing dharam on the poor soul, when he needs more reassurance, support, counseling and someone to bear his psychological burden.

If the parents of the household where he is staying now, insist that he has to wear patka as one of the conditions of having a roof over his head,.....then that would ONLY be fine if he has shown some previous interest to sikhi... and it is part of adapting and learning.

Otherwise,... if you are forcing regulations on a person who is vulnerable and in a very unstable physical welfare and psychological position,... then you are simply abusing your powers of control on the poor soul.

This is NOT sikhi as far as I understand.

Yes, this is the central considering point.

However....when a 14 year old has been forced to leave his parents home, then he would obviously be most vulnerable.......and the last thing that anyone should be doing is forcing dharam on the poor soul, when he needs more reassurance, support, counseling and someone to bear his psychological burden.

If the parents of the household where he is staying now, insist that he has to wear patka as one of the conditions of having a roof over his head,.....then that would ONLY be fine if he has shown some previous interest to sikhi... and it is part of adapting and learning.

Otherwise,... if you are forcing regulations on a person who is vulnerable and in a very unstable physical welfare and psychological position,... then you are simply abusing your powers of control on the poor soul.

This is NOT sikhi as far as I understand.

If the child is happy in his faith then let hm keep it , but also show the love that Sikhi can offer through making him comfortable to express his bhagti his way . If they want him not to cut hair or keep his head covered they can request and he can choose how he covers his head.

Why was he kicked out in the first place? Was he doing putte kam?

The parents have every right to say that if he is to stay in their house then he should not cut his hair, If the family do not cut their hair then what's the problem? If the family was Muslim would then they not say that he cannot bring non-halal meat or pork into the house? The guy is staying in their house and if he going to go out every month and get a hair cut or shave every day is that something that a Gursikh family would want to have in their house especially if they have young children that they are trying to raise as Gursikhs.

I bet some Sikhs are so ultra-PC then they would want the family to buy him a shaver and drive him to the barbers whenever he wants a haircut!!

The parents have every right to say that if he is to stay in their house then he should not cut his hair, If the family do not cut their hair then what's the problem? If the family was Muslim would then they not say that he cannot bring non-halal meat or pork into the house? The guy is staying in their house and if he going to go out every month and get a hair cut or shave every day is that something that a Gursikh family would want to have in their house especially if they have young children that they are trying to raise as Gursikhs.

I bet some Sikhs are so ultra-PC then they would want the family to buy him a shaver and drive him to the barbers whenever he wants a haircut!!

yes but at the same time veer ji you can't force Sikhi onto anyone , respect the individual's right to choose , ask to respect house rules but also not force patka if he agrees to cover head by his method ...he is doing what you are asking. Obviously he is in some trouble but we shouldn't jump to conclusions about it being his fault, just make sure he is not forced to change faith just to have a safe place to stay, otherwise there is no difference between us and the scummy missionary christians in J&K