Visiting Paris Advise

BhaiSukhSingh

there are gurdwareh in Paris, simpel google search will show locations.

I have been Paris a few times, generally you may get stares as anywhere in the wolrd but nothing out of the oridnary.

Eiffel tower have metal detectors, i didnt go up the tower, my wife did and dont know how she got through, had we known about the checks she wouldnt have gone. So best not to go really. Otherwsie dont have your kirpan on show as you will draw police towards you, that way you wont get any problems.

alot of young punjabis (illegal) be selling stuff by Eiffel tower, they warned me to stay vigilant of pick pockets just before polcie spotted them and gave chase, i saw about 20 of them legging it from all corners, funny thing is they ran right past army with guns doing patrols, but as army do not get invovled in such issues illegals can literally carry on in thier face. funny old world.

so help out our fellow punjabis and drop them a few quid!

If you're taking the train from London, the station the train stops at 'Gare Du Nord' is not too far from te place you find the Sikh community and Gurdwara (between Gare Du Nord and Le Chappelle). Bearing in mind the French legacy in parts of south India (pondicherry) and Mauritus and the Seychelles etc, that area has always been home to Paris' fairly large Indian community since the 1960's (99.9% south Indian), but the Punjabis that arrived in the last decade or so also settled there (in very small numbers). Other than that, you'll meet Punjabis under the Eifel Tower (illegaly selling small statues of the Eifel Tower) or at the entrance to Disneyland (ironicaly also selling small statutes of the Eifel Tower). I saw so many all doing the same thing I'm just amazed the ones in London are not selling small statues of the Eifel Tower.

The only real hardship you'll face is finding vegetarian food. People in restaurants (including McDonalds etc) will give you weird looks like you're mad when you ask what vegetarian stuff they have. The answer is they don't have any and you're probably the first vegetarian they've ever met in their life.

There is an Indian restaurant called Gandhiji's near Lafayette, there is only much croissant and choc au pain one can eat.

We popped in there and it was packed with French people and the Manager/owner came up to us showed us to our tables and then mentioned that the head chef was from Jallandhar.

Paris is a dump and the Parisians are quite rude.

There is an Indian restaurant called Gandhiji's near Lafayette, there is only much croissant and choc au pain one can eat.

We popped in there and it was packed with French people and the Manager/owner came up to us showed us to our tables and then mentioned that the head chef was from Jallandhar.

Paris is a dump and the Parisians are quite rude.

Harsh assessment , yes some areas are a bit rough and ready but if you do a little research on frommers.com you can print off walking tours which take in the major sites and give some insight to the history of the town. I didn't bother with eiffel tower but I would deffo recommend a day or two in the lourve and taking a boat trip down the seine gives a different feel to the town. If you can try speaking a little french the people are less sniffy because they recognise you are making an effort.

I admit I do not like the feel of Paris because the energy there is very dark to me but on the superfical level it is pretty enough. I prefer Rome.

p.s. Gandhi's are quite pricey , but that's true of Paris generally

Paris is beautiful
Paris is a dump

Both true statements. Its actually boringly beautiful. Haussmann knocked down everything old in paris and replaced them with new beautiful buildings. Trouble is, he put the same beautiful buildings up all over the city and it soon becomes boringly beautiful. It has none of the mad eclectic mix that London has. Where else on earth, apart from London, do you find Norman cathedrals, art deco apartments blocks, medieval inns, edwardian houses, victorian libraries, gothic churches, roman relics and state of the art modern skyscrapers all on the same street ?

The thing about Paris is that they are getting away with an unofficial apartheid system. The city is largely black and Arab but Paris has a system whereby they deliberately house (hide) all the blacks and Arabs in purpose made suburbs (ghettos) and let them get on with life on state handouts without the chance of ever finding a job etc.

The city has the feel of New York in the 1970's and London in the 1980's...a very edgy feel, a feeling that racial tension is in the air and could explode at any time.