Punjabi Language

JRoudh

Also punjabi is tonal. Its when u use the same word but meaning changes with tone. Like a-ha kaprda la de ( put up this cloth)Vs a-ha kaprda laa de ( take off this cloth). Many times I get confused and have to ask for clarification I guess cuz we don't talk tonal good enough anymore. We speak punglish a lot too like mom is paka-ing roti :)

Also punjabi is tonal. Its when u use the same word but meaning changes with tone. Like a-ha kaprda la de ( put up this cloth)Vs a-ha kaprda laa de ( take off this cloth). Many times I get confused and have to ask for clarification I guess cuz we don't talk tonal good enough anymore. We speak punglish a lot too like mom is paka-ing roti :)

I thought that's what Mum called Gulabi Punjabi...?

Yes I know what you mean and that is a very sweet mitti mitti Punjabi but I would wander if that is the way Punjabi is supposed to be. You see, as well as being a truly ancient language (900 years older than Hindi and 1900 years older than Urdu) Punjabi is truly unique in that it is the only tonal language in the whole of south Asia. In that tonal regard, it is one of a rare select group of very few languages including Finnish and some Chinese languages). I would suggest that it is supposed to be spoken in the way that South Koreans speak their language...i.e with loud emotion and pitches which give the outsider the impression that the speaker is arguing. I'm really not a fan of this whole monotone emotionless mitti style thats creeping in with the influence of Hindi and Urdu. Thats not the way Punjabi is supposed to be spoken.

LOL , mitti actually means dust , or more accurately soil , I feel what you mean is mithi (sweet is called mithi in punjabi ) The whole punjab is divided in to many areas - Th Malwa , Jalandhar Doab what we nowadays call Doaba , the Bari doab - Modern day'a Majha and area from Lahore to Multan across the border , then comes Rachan Doab the area lying between rivers Ravi & Chenab , further there is Jatch Doab - area between Chenab & Jehlum Rivers (Whole area is in Pakistan) and then comes the last - Sindh Sagar Doab - area between Jehlum & Sindu Rivers . All the zones having separated by rivers and having difference in climatic conditions too the difference in bolis ( Dialects ) is but natural .Further Punjab having been ,since prehistoric days melting pot of many races & cultures , all races coming from the western side - the ARyans , Huns, Scythian or Sakas ( Different subraces of this groups are Jats , Kambojas , and other Clans claiming to be Surya wanshis ) more recent additions being Mongols ( mugals ) plus the original dwellers , the penetrations by different races ranged eastwards as per the order of their descent , thus intermingling of Languages effected in different regions upto different degrees ( in proportion to depth of penetration of theses races) , resulting into Different dialects .

Anothert factor being the climatic conditions ( Example - people in hotter climate open thier mouth more & Cold climate restricts the movement of lips & toungue - thus pronounciation gets different - in Jullunder & Malwa area what is spoken Paisa becomes in Peha in Majha area , same way Veethi ( Lane ) in Sanskrit becomes Beehi in punjabi . Coming to Europe - in Nordic countries where climate is extremely cold L becomes silent in all words . These are the reasons for difference in Regiona Dialects . Now punjabi being spoken by punjabis in Europe & American Continent has imbibed so much of English grammer & sentence structure that in India , we take some time in understanding it . In nutshell , the language is a means of communication , a dynamic tool for expression of views and with the mobility of people speaking it , is bound to change with addition of new words , obsolence of some and we should take the changes happening in that spirit only and not to ridicule each others To expand a little bit further at present Punjabi has 15 - 20 dialects , one can find these at Wikipedia , are ahave a unique flavor , and we should respect all these dialects

LOL , mitti actually means dust , or more accurately soil , I feel what you mean is mithi (sweet is called mithi in punjabi )

Its a Punjabi word, not an English one. Therefore, how can there be a right and wrong way to spell a word that doesn't exist in English...in English ?

The whole punjab is divided in to many areas - Th Malwa , Jalandhar Doab what we nowadays call Doaba , the Bari doab - Modern day'a Majha and area from Lahore to Multan across the border , then comes Rachan Doab the area lying between rivers Ravi & Chenab , further there is Jatch Doab - area between Chenab & Jehlum Rivers

We're living in the year 2014. Therefore how things were in 1932 is no longer true. Therefore, you shouldn't trust anything said on wikipedia, let alone copy and paste any of that rubbish.

A thing called partition happened in 1947, and this 'thing' made everything we previously knew about the dialects (and where they belong) redundant. For example, there are far more people that speak in a doaba dialect in the Faisalabad district of Pakistan than there are in the Jalandhar area. There as many pahari Punjabi speakers in Delhi as there are in its natural habitat.

Remember, its now 2014, soon to be 2015. You shouldn't be throwing outdated data and facts from the 1920s at us.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, Premi5 said:

I'm bumping this thread up, because I would like opinions on what the pattern of Punjabi in the UK has been in recent years? Is it still majority from Doaba? In Canada, I understand most of the newbies are in greater number from Majha and Malwa rather than Doaba?

Bumping this thread again. 

Can anyone answer my question? 

What is the Australian and Italian diaspora like?