Sign in to follow this  
BlazinSikh

Dumalla/dastaar Questions.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Sangat Ji, the reason I have started this topic is to allow sangat Ji to give their views/opinions/reviews on dastaar (i.e. size, material, style/type, tips & techniques). Even though I know there are many post regarding the dumalla or dastaar, I thought it would be great if we are able to have all questions/queries and answers under one post (help me especially).

Few questions for example:

What material is best for dumalla/dasaar and Why?

Length of your/common dumalla/dastar?

Experience you have gained from learning to tie your dumalla/dastaar?

Tips and techniques?

Recommended shop to purchase material (include shop contact details)?

Your first time experience from wearing a dumalla/dastaar?

And many more.......

I hope with Guru's Kirpa this benefits sangat new and old with dumalla/dastaar based question?

Malmal the really think stuff , its perfect its light weight and comfy for me its perfect as it doesn't hurt my ears. everybody has different preference though.

length of my normal dhumala is around 9-11 meters.. Due to the thinness it looks like a 6-7 meter dastar. you want your dastar praticale as possible and solid that you can train , run and fight in one. I've people in tarkhan style "topee" starched dastara getting them removed by one slap to the face...

taken years and years from taking 1.5hrs to tying it in 10mins

do a proper bhunga , for many years i did the bhunga totally wrong , its a lot more secure now and solid! you should do this as all nihangs do it by coiling your kesh into the bhunga. (

) watch the start of the video for a proper bhunga.

Darshans near Bebe Nanaki Gurdwara in Birmingham ( uk)

is very good! they have every colour and the thin malmal material.

First time felt special.. no words can describe wearing out forefathers crown

akaal

Thank You Babbar_Singhsta Ji for getting the topic rolling.

My Experience

from being a mona going towards the Guru, yesterday was my first time wearing a dumalla (a pretty huge dumalla in height) and honest to Vaheguru i was over the moon. The smile on my face could not even begin to describe the Nihaal of wearing the Guru's Bana.

I used to wear a patka over my head and i would tie it on my head like a Doo rag which i honest to Vaheguru hated just due to the fact i did not feel sikhi wearing a rumalla/patka and plus i definintly did not look like a sikh, especially the way my beard is growing i would mostly get mistaken a muslim and not just as any muslim but someone who would look like they work for ISIS.

But yesterday was a whole new experience now i know my dumalla was pretty huge and being from my part of London not a lot of people have seen a dumalla but it honestly did not matter to me one bit, i had a few looks from people astonished from my appearance, i had a few look at me with a smile and say "You look different" i have had a few employees question me about sikhi and the signifance of dumalla, i also had a couple of people somewhat make jokes behind my back. But honestly i could not even careless for Chor like me given a crown by Satguru is just something that can not be described.

Dumalla material and size.

Like i said my dumalla was pretty huge and quite puffy looking due to me stupidly using full voile and not mul mul. When i purchased the material online from http://www.sikhistore.com/ (in which i recommened) i had purchased a royal blue, full voile, in 10 meters and 5 meters, one for the bunga and one for the dumalla, however due to the material of full voile it was quite difficult for me to have a dumalla exactly the way it should be so i had to cut the bunga from 5 meters to 4.8 meters and the 10 meter dumalla to 5 meter (i think) and it came out ok but it was quite difficult to get the laars/lining to make the dumalla to look nice and neat.

I have recently purchased a mul mul material from http://www.sikhistore.com/ and hoping that, that would solve my dilema.

Tying my dumalla has taken my atleast 3 hours especially that my bunga never comes out properly. However from trying to use a full voile material i can atleast say that i was able to learn to tie a dumalla with a less chosen material. But even so my dumalla did not look neat and clean at all you could literally see the creasese and everything.

Tips & Technique

But from what i have learnt is that if the bunga does not come out properly then the dumalla will not come out as proper as you would expect it to be.

and Mul Mul is the recommened material for a dumalla.

Question?

How do you was your dumalla?

I used video, I haved watched the video numerous amount of time. But it was good.

I tie my dummala with full voile but Im gonna buy rubia. I never had a good experience with mul mul.

From my experience with full voile, I find it quite difficult. I recall a time in which tying my bunga with a full voile cloth took me a good 5 hours and by then I had completely given up to even begin my dumalla.

I am hoping to have a good time with the Mul Mul material due to it recommendation.

I can't do it!!! My dumalla is loose and looks like no effort!! :( Got any tips for the tying part of the dumalla?

Do you live in Punjab or in the west?

West man... Hard for somebody to find to teach me... Most around teach Nok Paghs...

I bet you live in uk. If you lived in Canada I could have helped you.
  • Like 1