Why Do People Get Mad When A Sikh Girl Marries A Non Sikh In The Gurdwara

deepsinghmangat

reading some of the threads here I haven't seen the same response for a Sikh male who marries a non Sikh

if both people are raised in a Sikh house but one decides to become an atheist while the other says they are Sikhs but cut their hair drink and attend a gurdwara once a year

would people still get angry and try stopping a wedding between an atheist raised in a Sikh house an another Sikh raised in a Sikh house that doesn't follow sikhi??

@mangat

If they hold the name Singh and Kaur respectively there would be no problem.

Why an atheist would want to get married in a house of God is a question maybe you could answer?

Why a non sikh would want to get married in a Gurdwara is also curious, can you help us out here? Aren't civil ceremonies conducted outside Gurdwara sufficient?

It is not up to us to decide how good Sikh one person is in comparison to another. It is important that we are on the path and recognise and steer away from falsehood.

Why does this topic intrigue you?

First of all I don't see any connection of your post with the question above you askin us..

Another thing your last name tells you must be mangat which means beggar and u must be a beggar of Brahmins and not a follower of our beloved ten Gurus.

Third thing,the day when you come to know the difference btw the sikhism and the other religions on this earth...from that day you will not need to ask this question....Thanks

I found your response very offensive, no need for personal attacks.

Think you guys are missing the point of the question. Being born into a Sikh family does not make you a Sikh; many born under the label may call themselves atheists or adopt views that fly in the face of Sikhi. Still, when it comes to the Anand Karaj - which many non-Sikhs or unbelievers may choose to take part in for traditional reasons or to appease family - no Sikh protests or bats an eyelid. I think this is just as anti-Gurmat as those weddings which some have crashed.

I have many family members who do not care for Sikhi, yet of course they all had an Anand Karaj - just as they visit the Gurdwara, for social or cultural reasons. Isn't that messed up? No? Because they were "born into Sikhi," their beliefs and behaviours are not a problem?

Also, OP, no - women get more stick for marrying outside of religion than men do. This is how men exert power over women.

Disclaimer: before anyone decides to jump down my throat, I do not even agree with non Gursikhs (Sikhs actually on the path) having Anand Karaj. Just hate the double standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible that non sikhs (whether they are from a sikh household or not) who marry a Sikh are showing respect for their partners beliefs by doing the Anand Karaj? Perhaps an atheist for example feels that their lack of belief should not be a barrier to their believing partners wishes.

Some of the responses on here are downright rude, the OP asked a reasonable question and should expect a considered and reasonable response from members. I don't think there is anything wrong with challenging another persons views but personal insults to someone who is seeking advice and guidance is not the way to help anyone.

Question

Is it possible that non sikhs (whether they are from a sikh household or not) who marry a Sikh are showing respect for their partners beliefs by doing the Anand Karaj? Perhaps an atheist for example feels that their lack of belief should not be a barrier to their believing partners wishes.

Answer

Anand Karaj is a promise that you and your future partner make with Guru Granth Sahibji.

If you know, you are not going to keep the promise, then why are you making it?