Go Golak Go!

Drummer

dear all

i am curious to know who and when did this all started. when was the first golak kept in front of SGGS ji? what was the need? and why do we need it in this day and age? do other religions have golaks? which ones dont have golaks and why? your intellectual thoughts are most welcome.

is this true that "maya" corrupts the mind and the soul - but why do we throw maya right in front of SGGS ji?

Go Golak Go!

dear all

i am curious to know who and when did this all started. when was the first golak kept in front of SGGS ji? what was the need? and why do we need it in this day and age? do other religions have golaks? which ones dont have golaks and why? your intellectual thoughts are most welcome.

is this true that "maya" corrupts the mind and the soul - but why do we throw maya right in front of SGGS ji?

Go Golak Go!

I remember some preacher saying that monetary offering was introduced during Guru Ramdas Sahib ji's time.

Probably during construction of Sri Harmandar Sahib Amritsar.

According to Gurmat "maya is gujraan" meaning a mode of buying basic necessities.

It is ok to earn maya as a matter of need but a Gursikh must avoid being greedy.

Shunning maya is of no relevance as per Gurbani -

ਕਬੀਰ ਮਾਇਆ ਤਜੀ ਤ ਕਿਆ ਭਇਆ ਜਉ ਮਾਨੁ ਤਜਿਆ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਇ ॥

Kabeer Maaeiaa Thajee Th Kiaa Bhaeiaa Jo Maan Thajiaa Nehee Jaae ||

कबीर माइआ तजी त किआ भइआ जउ मानु तजिआ नही जाइ ॥

Kabeer, what good is it to give up Maya, if the mortal does not give up his pride?

1 ਸਲੋਕ (ਭ. ਕਬੀਰ) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੩੭੨ ਪੰ. ੧੬

Salok Bhagat Kabir Page:1372 Line: 16

ਮਾਨ ਮੁਨੀ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਗਲੇ ਮਾਨੁ ਸਭੈ ਕਉ ਖਾਇ ॥੧੫੬॥

Maan Munee Munivar Galae Maan Sabhai Ko Khaae ||156||

मान मुनी मुनिवर गले मानु सभै कउ खाइ ॥१५६॥

Even the silent sages and seers are destroyed by pride; pride eats up everything. ||156||

2 ਸਲੋਕ (ਭ. ਕਬੀਰ) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੩੭੨ ਪੰ. ੧੭

Salok Bhagat Kabir Page:1372 Line: 17

Source - http://searchgurbani.com/scriptures/ggs_shabad/5124/line/1

Golak is required so that Sikhs can give Dasvand (one-tenth of his income) to Guru Darbar.

It is supposed to be a Gupt Seva not something to show or brag about in public.

thanks for your views......er.......can the dasvandh be kept in a golak at home and then poor/ needy helped with your own hands? or is it the same thing to put money in the golak and pass your job to a third party.

You can do that, gud idea. Then at least u won't have any doubts of where it's going. When we put money in the golak we should not think what's the point as it maybe misused. We are putting it with respect of offering in front of Maharaj ji so we don't go empty handed. Obviously God doesn't expect nothing from us, so even a little amount is ok, don't have to be loads, as long as we give from our heart.

Giving to charity is great if u can do urself. End of day everything is God given, so it should be used wisely.

The gurdwara also having running costs, and have to also rely on sangat donations, how else will they run.

If u feel it's being misused, the choice is urs as to where to give it, it's all seva. Once it goes from ur side it's no longer for u to worry about as it's gone from ur decision making process. So decide beforehand, so u don't have doubts after.

Sorry don't know the history, if somebody could educate me too.

Please forgive if anything wrong I said Sangatji, just my thinking.

Those that understand know what I mean, goodbye ji.

Oh just something been brought up by elders, if one can make an offering then y not?

Like when we go to somebody's house so we take gifts or sweets, same kind of thing.

We go to visit the King of Kings, Maharaj ji so donate wat we wish.

Nobody forces as own personal choice. But all is theirs anyways, that's my thinking.