Are You A Panjabi Or A Sikh First? Time To Decide

SSG19

indeed Punjabi culture is beautiful if we don't put two or three aspects such as Hindu/brahmin influence and Western culture...Because when we put them in punjabi culture,,The punjabi culture turns up into Poison ..

Which is why we are Sikhs first. Lets not forget there were Hindus, Muslims, and perhaps even Buddhists and Jains in Punjab before 1469. Lol, we can't just tell them "You guys are not Punjabis because you are not Sikhs". In fact , if you go by religion, perhaps Muslims (Pakistani Punjabi ones) are a majority of the Punjabi speaking population in the subcontinent. My point is no one has the copyright for Punjabiyat or for being called more Punjabi than someone else of another religion.

So once again, we are Sikhs first, that is a choice we make (not exactly a choice but a blessing I'd say). Being an Indian or Punjabi is not something you choose to be born into.

Thats again just my opinion, and I can be wrong.

how come you guys don't know? Punjabi Culture was glorious long before the Muslims came. Gorakh Nath and all those people.. very rich Indian history and if we go. a tad bit back we got buddhists. remember there were 2 great Buddhist invaders of Punjab, Tsang and Fa Hien. infact 30 or so letters The Gurmukhi script come from the Buddhist Siddham script. Not to mention Maharaja Ranjeet Singh, richest man of the world during his time, he and his associates were sometimes dressed head to toe in jewels something the foreigners never seen, nowadays celebrities make the news if the wear all diamond shoes but Runjit Singh was much ahead of his times, he also had the.strongest army of the world (only lost to british after death using dirty unwarlike tactics, eg Sher Singh assianation and faking wars). Educate yourselfs learn AND read Punjabi too the fullest

I am Sikh and Punjabi. They are two different things - but also intertwined. Waheguru chose Sikhi to be cradled in the land of Punjab. Punjab is special. One is my Dharam and the other my Dharti. The question of choice is unfair as the human form comes as individual entities made up of complex influences which others will see or judge you by. Denying your humanity by claiming it is one entity is unfortunate. Only the atma can claim to be a pure entity of dharam and only Waheguru can see that.

Sikh mainly

But also proud to say Canadian because it's the Country I'm born in and raised in. I can speak Punjabi but whether the culture stays with me or not makes no difference. The only thing that matters is the history of our Guru's and shaheeds that happened in India.

Time to make up your minds folks- who are you? Sikh or Panjabi?

Both. Religion Sikh, culture Panjabi. Both help form my identity on this earth.

And who do you think you are asking us to choose?

. Time to bash cast-name users in our sangat no place for such thing.

Or to accept that people want to use their cast names and look at other bigger issues in the panth.

Both. Religion Sikh, culture Panjabi. Both help form my identity on this earth.

And who do you think you are asking us to choose?

Or to accept that people want to use their cast names and look at other bigger issues in the panth.

caste names just bring more divisions within the panth especially when it comes to marriage. We need to understand how there is no caste in Sikhi ever since Khalsa Panth was established. Caste is a big issue today in our panth and of course other issues as well we need to work on.

Sikh and punjabi, do u even understand bulle shahs poetry or even know who he was? And y are u dividing others from punjabi culture, do u even know wat punjabi culture is? Agree with jeevancymro, and chatanga, why even ask to choose. One can be what they want without force. I quite like lakhwinder wadalis song, especially th latest song, not as it has man and woman in the video, but the depth it has been sung in, can be interpreted as singing to God. Everybody has their own way of singing Gods praises, I cannot choose one or the other, that isolating yourself from the world. If u don't like something don't listen to it or practise it.

Bulle Shah gal tha mukdi, je main nu dil tho gwaiyeh

No need to be proud of culture identity. So why do sikhs eat punjabi food for gurdwara langar , wear punjabi clothes for prayer. We seem to have a few sikh taliban types who are trying to make sikhi into a none inclusive faith. Sikhi is open to all punjabi british, indian ,even liverpool and man utd supporters Stop punjabi and jatt bashing. Jatt is a tribe not a caste. It was the tribe of my forefathers when they entered india 1500 years ago from central asia.If people object to us calling our self jatt punjabi sikhs, we dont care we will carry on regardless