Sign in to follow this  
Guest sahib

Did Any Of The Gurus Marry Outside Caste ?

Guest sahib

Did any of our gurus set an example or pioneered the move of marrying outside caste ?

and Did any of them go against their own parents wishes that were based on cultural traditions ?

Guest Sat

They married according to hukam. The Gurus were not racist, they didnt need to show that they married out of caste because they didnt believe in the snobbery and ego of castes.

The problem woth Kalyug is that people don't use their common sense of distinguishing right n good from wrong.

Some id*iot had deluded themselves and was so immersed in the darkness and filth of maya that they told me they think drinking is ok according to sikhi because gurbani has a passage that says eat, drink.

My reply was, could u imagine the Gurus sitting around sessioning?

Then they shut up, and they still drink to this day. Noone is prepared to give their head- and thats why Kalyug is so dark n heavy, The Gurus told us that there would b darkness in every home, that noone would practice truth in the Kalyug. Right now, theres only 1 person actually doing it. everyone else is obsessed eith maya attachments, relationships n most of all-Sex.

People are filled with the mental illness of jealousy of others, not being happy with what theyve got. Meditation has gone out the window and only a handful go to the gurdwarra and go into samadhI. Amritdharis and sikhs make excuses, that it takes time, that theyll do amritvela(1am onwards) naam simran when theyre ready, when the hukam coukd call for their end the next day. The world become a joke.

Bandgi of doing good deeds, killing bad thoughts and the mind, and most importantly not indulging in the insecurity and jealousy of Slander no longer seems important.

Another girl goes to the Gurdwarra regularly, sits and meditates, but still seems to think that casual sex is ok. Her mouth spits out the filth of slander every time she feels intimidated by and jealous of a pretty girl.

Slander is one of the worst crimes in truth and yet ppl keep doing it. Ive seen so called sants doing it without a single hesitation. If u do 20 yrs of continuous seva, then slander someone once, all yr bhagti was in vain and doesnt count for anything.

Sikhs need to wake up n realise that youre not a sikh if u commit any of the misdeeds above. Giving ur head means applying gyan 100% , not picking and choosing.

Good question.

I'm not too sure about the answer and am gonna have to find this one out, but I'm surprised why I have never given this any thought before ?

Guest StarStriker1

Actually guru tegh bahadur married mata gujari, who was of the Gujjar tribe/caste, so yes 1 of our gurus did marry outside of their khatri tribe!

According to my understanding and i may be wrong in this but when sargun poran guru avtars descend or transcend, they have different divine criteria like their close family- cousin and wife side etc lineage are also born in extremely highly privileged status ( well pious, piety, spiritually aware, royalty etc) all because of their link with poran guru avtars physically/biologically, spiritually etc and thats divine hakum order. Don't look at this from caste perspective but look at it from highly privileged social spiritual status perspective

Similarly, just to give you example from wordly western perspective for understanding purposes not for comparison but understanding purposes- highly privileged social status in western context would be queen king royal family members marrying another person from same privileged social status. It does not mean they are discriminating against other status while looking for match but, thats the way their worldly royal family structure is been carried out an custom/parampara in lineage .

Edited by N30S1NGH

I don't know whether Guru Sahibaan's, Bhagats, Pirs, Bhats, Sikhs... who wrote Gurbani were married out of caste.

If Gurbani says it doesn't matter then it shouldn't !

In fact Inter-caste marriages are capable of producing Synergy.

They are good for Politics, Business & Society.

Edited by singhbj singh
  • Like 1

I heard in katha by Baba Hari Singh Randhawa wale that Kavi Santokh Singh Jee, a pooran mahapursh, who wrote Gurpartap Sooraj Parkash Granth married outside of caste.

Lets try to think of it out of the box for a minute.

I've also come across another question "Why was none of the Sikh Gurus a woman?"

Back in those days, it was the so-called "high caste" people, especially males, who were calling the shots, setting norms etc. Guru Sahibaan were "physically born" in Kshatriya families, and were all males. But here is where it gets shocking. Even though they were born males, and born in Kshatriya (high caste) families, married within what we call as "same caste", they still preached the equality of genders and futility of ancestry/caste. This was a shock to Indian society and gave birth to a new revolution altogether.

Had a saint from a so-called "lower caste" preached against the caste cancer, or a female saint preached against gender inequality back in those days, they would be mocked at, and people would taunt them and say "Yeah well too bad for you, but you will obviously whine about it, hahaha!" But guess what, Guru Sahibaan shook the very foundations of that society once They (being males from "high caste" families) preached against these evils of caste cancer and gender inequality.

Lets not analyse too much into why Guru Sahibaan did what They did, lets see Their purpose and message behind it. We are not at Their level to fully comprehend the deeply spiritual reasons as to why They did what They did.

ਗੁਰਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ॥
Do those deeds which the Guru has ordained.

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਹੇ ਧਾਵਹੁ ॥
Why are you chasing after the Guru's actions?

The question is false to begin with for it presupposes that the noble Sikh Gurus gave some credence to caste system or considered its validity. Since Gurmat was founded on the principle of equality, considering caste in all social and religious matters is contrary to it. Guru Sahib considered virtues and noble deeds for marriage ties. Furthermore, almost all marriages of Gurus were decided by their parents and there is not a single shred of evidence that caste was ever considered in this matter. There is equally no evidence to suggest that any marriage proposal was rejected due to caste difference. Such questions assume and try to impose that the Guru Sahibans did not practice what they preached which is false.

There are three possibilities in choosing a life partner. First is, one gives weight to the caste to marry within his own caste in which case one goes against Gurmat. Second is to ask for caste to deliberately reject the proposal in case it is of the same caste. This is done just to show that one doesnt believe in caste. On the contrary, the act itself does not prove such a feat. Rather, it goes to show that in choosing a life partner he still gave credence to caste and did not keep noble virtues and Gursikh lifestyle as the choosing criteria. The third is to ignore caste altogether and only look at ones lifestyle, rehat, deeds, character etc. in choosing an ideal and suitable life partner. Only in the third case does one entirely act against caste system. And it is only the third case that applies to the Sikh Gurus. Whether a life partner happens to be of the same or different tribe or caste background it holds no significance for it is never the criteria to begin with.

Such questions are crafted by anti-Sikh writers as a yes or no type in a deliberate attempt to undermine the Sikh religion and downgrade the Sikh Gurus from the highest, noblest and most virtuous position they occupy among all other prophets, messangers and avtars. We need to be careful of such questions because many of them are false to begin with and cannot be a yes or no type. It is like asking a heterosexual guy if he has told his parents that he is gay. Either yes or no lands him in the gay lot which he is not to begin with. Guru Rakha

Edited by Bijla Singh
  • Like 3

Cultural traditions have been to marry daughter in caste. son is w.e various gurus married from different quoms.

6th guru married sangha jatt.

ਖਾਲਿਸਤਾਨ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਾਬਾਦ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ | |

They married according to hukam. The Gurus were not racist, they didnt need to show that they married out of caste because they didnt believe in the snobbery and ego of castes.

The problem woth Kalyug is that people don't use their common sense of distinguishing right n good from wrong.

Some id*iot had deluded themselves and was so immersed in the darkness and filth of maya that they told me they think drinking is ok according to sikhi because gurbani has a passage that says eat, drink.

My reply was, could u imagine the Gurus sitting around sessioning?

Then they shut up, and they still drink to this day. Noone is prepared to give their head- and thats why Kalyug is so dark n heavy, The Gurus told us that there would b darkness in every home, that noone would practice truth in the Kalyug. Right now, theres only 1 person actually doing it. everyone else is obsessed eith maya attachments, relationships n most of all-Sex.

People are filled with the mental illness of jealousy of others, not being happy with what theyve got. Meditation has gone out the window and only a handful go to the gurdwarra and go into samadhI. Amritdharis and sikhs make excuses, that it takes time, that theyll do amritvela(1am onwards) naam simran when theyre ready, when the hukam coukd call for their end the next day. The world become a joke.

Bandgi of doing good deeds, killing bad thoughts and the mind, and most importantly not indulging in the insecurity and jealousy of Slander no longer seems important.

Another girl goes to the Gurdwarra regularly, sits and meditates, but still seems to think that casual sex is ok. Her mouth spits out the filth of slander every time she feels intimidated by and jealous of a pretty girl.

Slander is one of the worst crimes in truth and yet ppl keep doing it. Ive seen so called sants doing it without a single hesitation. If u do 20 yrs of continuous seva, then slander someone once, all yr bhagti was in vain and doesnt count for anything.

Sikhs need to wake up n realise that youre not a sikh if u commit any of the misdeeds above. Giving ur head means applying gyan 100% , not picking and choosing.

Good post, nice summary of Kaljug ! Patshash states: Doondam Doondam Dith, Nanak Jag Taoleh Ka Dhaul.

(Searching and researching the world i have seen that everyone is lost in the deep fog [of maya]).

Edited by singh598

Remember though, Sikhs traditionally did not and still don't marry outside their jaat.

This is verified in Prem Sumarag Granth, and I won't say anything more due to fanatic bhasurias everywhere.

Sikhs traditionally have been socially divided, politically and religiously united. Don't listen to bsp and ambedkar who only want handouts.

It's Kal yug, and your blood; you want to dishonor it go ahead. For boys it didn't matyer because they traditionally married multiple times so tribal restrictions didn't make sense.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ | |

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• Inter-religious marriages are not allowed in sikhi dharam.
    • Ranjit Singh made them his own. He trusted them as their kin. Many Dogras are still Sikhs, so they are our own. Punjabi =/=Sikh
    • christians have had the reformation, but it is middle eastern evil. jesus said i have not come here to change the evil book of torah, it is the book of my father .it is more evil than islam
    • Main v nai apne aap nu pasand kardi, par ki kara, karna penda, kio ke koi kise nu nai karda 😂 Kira paji, 🤧 here’s a tissue. Don’t return it back thanks 😋😂
    • Why bring in beloved Sachay Patshah, and shamelessly blame Him for our misfortunes? That also, when our present condition, it is due to our own karmas from our past. Does not the Bani say: Aapay beejeh, aapay khaae. So Guest Jee, wher does Wahiguru comes in this picture of our destiny? He is not like us unfaithful and disrespectful human beings, He is our Mata Pita, our Sajjan, our Bhaee, our Meet. Just look at the situation from a higher perspective, He is so Dayalu, that in spite of any of your karam, He has still blessed you with the highest life form, the one of a human being, so that we learn something from Gurbani, do His bhakti that much, that we become one with Him? So tell me, in which way has He forsaken you? He has extended His arm to pull you out from this Bhavsagar, and you are blaming Him? Aren´t you a bit arrogant and unjust with Him, though it maybe out of pain? But even then, our distress should not take us away from Him, rather make us cling harder on His Lotus Feet. Other thing is, we maybe not aware of our stock of karmas, and thus their reactions on us in the form of destiny, but nevertheless, we should never ever blame Him. Following are some beautiful inspirational Sat Bachans from the Bani, I hope they give you some comfort: ਜੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਤ ਤੁਝਹਿ ਅਰਾਧੀ ਦੁਖਿ ਭੀ ਤੁਝੈ ਧਿਆਈ ॥੨॥
      Je sukẖ ḏėh ṯa ṯujẖėh arāḏẖī ḏukẖ bẖī ṯujẖai ḏẖi▫ā▫ī. ||2||
      If You will bless me with happiness, then I will worship and adore You. Even in pain, I will meditate on You. ||2||

ਜੇ ਭੁਖ ਦੇਹਿ ਤ ਇਤ ਹੀ ਰਾਜਾ ਦੁਖ ਵਿਚਿ ਸੂਖ ਮਨਾਈ ॥੩॥
      Je bẖukẖ ḏėh ṯa iṯ hī rājā ḏukẖ vicẖ sūkẖ manā▫ī. ||3||
      Even if You give me hunger, I will still feel satisfied; I am joyful, even in the midst of sorrow. ||3||

ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਕਾਟਿ ਕਾਟਿ ਸਭੁ ਅਰਪੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਅਗਨੀ ਆਪੁ ਜਲਾਈ ॥੪॥
      Ŧan man kāt kāt sabẖ arpī vicẖ agnī āp jalā▫ī. ||4||
      I would cut my mind and body apart into pieces, and offer them all to You; I would burn myself in fire. ||4||   Let us learn to love Him, strictly under all circumstances as seen above, for that is the right attitude to be had as a sikh. Stay blessed. Sat Sree Akal.