Tea  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How do u make your tea?

• Desi style - water, Laung lechia, tea bags or leaves, saunf, milk, sugar all in one pathila (pan)
    • Western style - tea bag (sugar) (milk) in mug with boiled kettle water
    • Black tea without milk or sugar - western style
    • Black tea with sugar - western style
    • Any sort of herbal tea?
    • Adrak (Ginger)
    • No tea
    • Alternatives or additional info. can be added by replying to the post.

apparently i heard drinking too much chai makes you dark !?!

never again drinking tea :nono: haha

you being wacist ? :ph34r: besides you get dark going out during the day not tea LOL

you being wacist ? :ph34r: besides you get dark going out during the day not tea LOL

haha oh no no your confused that's for vampires, humans are okay to go out in the day :p

haha oh no no your confused that's for vampires, humans are okay to go out in the day :p

try telling that to your average teenager :happy2:

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 1

Extracts from Wikipedia that should raise alarms (make up your own minds!):

Caffeine is a bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid and a stimulant drug. Caffeine is found in varying quantities in the seeds, leaves, and fruit of some plants, where it acts as a natural pesticide that paralyzes and kills certain insects feeding on the plants, as well as enhancing the reward memory of pollinators.

In humans, caffeine acts as a central nervous system stimulant, temporarily warding off drowsiness and restoring alertness. It is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive drug, but unlike many other psychoactive substances, it is legal and unregulated in nearly all parts of the world.

Caffeine overdose can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90).[44] This syndrome typically occurs only after ingestion of large amounts of caffeine, well over the amounts found in typical caffeinated beverages and caffeine tablets (e.g., more than 400–500 mg at a time). The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are comparable to the symptoms of overdoses of other stimulants: they may include restlessness, fidgeting, anxiety, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[56] In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, or psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[57][58]

Extreme overdose can result in death.[59][60] The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats. The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on individual sensitivity, but is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass or roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult.[61] Though achieving lethal dose of caffeine would be difficult with regular coffee, it is easier to reach high doses with caffeine pills, and the lethal dose can be lower in individuals whose ability to metabolize caffeine is impaired. Chronic liver disease is one factor that can slow the metabolism of caffeine.[62] There has been a reported death of a man who had liver cirrhosis overdosing on caffeinated mints.[63][64][65] Drugs such as fluvoxamine or levofloxacin can have a similar effect by blocking the liver enzyme responsible for the metabolism of caffeine, thus increasing the central effects and blood concentrations of caffeine five-fold.[58][59][60][66] The exact cause of death in such cases is uncertain, but may result from cardiac arrhythmia leading to cardiac arrest.

Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required.[56]

Addiction and tolerance
Main article: Caffeine addiction

With repetitive use, physical dependence or addiction may occur. Also, some effects of caffeine, particularly the autonomic effects, decrease over time, a phenomenon known as a tolerance. Tolerance develops quickly to some (but not all) effects of caffeine, especially among heavy coffee and energy drink consumers.[67] Some coffee drinkers develop tolerance to its sleep-disrupting effects, but others apparently do not.[31]

Withdrawal

Withdrawal symptoms – including headaches, irritability, inability to concentrate, drowsiness, insomnia, and pain in the stomach, upper body, and joints – may appear within 12 to 24 hours after discontinuation of caffeine intake, peak at roughly 48 hours, and usually last from 2 to 9 days.[68] Withdrawal headaches are experienced by 52% of people who stopped consuming caffeine for two days after an average of 235 mg caffeine per day prior to that.[69] In prolonged caffeine users, symptoms such as increased depression and anxiety, nausea, vomiting, physical pains and intense desire for caffeine are also reported. Peer knowledge, support and interaction may aid withdrawal.

Caffeine withdrawal is categorized as a mental disorder in the DSM-5 (the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual published by the American Psychiatric Association).[70] Previous versions of the manual included "caffeine intoxication" but not caffeine withdrawal.

Energy drinks such Redbull and the like which are high in caffeine and taurine can create respiratory system distress and when combined with alcohol as is popular amongst the pub crowd is a recipe for a heart attack or stroke so warn your nearest and dearest if they do the added step ... and those who don't as both things are pretty bad.

Thanks

ps. don't do what my chota khalsa veer did and drop the tea ....then start the coffee ... I had to smile at that one :happy2:

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 1

We in punjab have Khalsa Chah , prepared by some Singh Shopkeeper at Amritsar, same item is available y different ayurvedik pharmacies unde name desi chai, another good one I got from namdhari ppl the call it chahta, even my dad used to prepare it home by mxing some exotic herbs with saunf, dalchini , laung , mulethi etc. I also use green & white unprocessed tealeves which are very rich in anti oxidants and vwry nild in taste . For me coffee & black tea and normal cha are taboo

• Like 1

We in punjab have Khalsa Chah , prepared by some Singh Shopkeeper at Amritsar, same item is available y different ayurvedik pharmacies unde name desi chai, another good one I got from namdhari ppl the call it chahta, even my dad used to prepare it home by mxing some exotic herbs with saunf, dalchini , laung , mulethi etc. I also use green & white unprocessed tealeves which are very rich in anti oxidants and vwry nild in taste . For me coffee & black tea and normal cha are taboo

Yes my family uses chahta & Khalsa Chah , it is very good herbal substitute for tea , Now another substitute in market is herbal concoction available in India under Brandname ORGANIC . It has many combos with Tulsi ( Indian holy Basil ) as main ingredient , with lemon , ginger , green tea , honey lemon etc . I find herbal spicers from Twinnings also very useful - specially CAMOMILLE which is quite soothing with calming effect on brain , specially to be had at the end of day , before bed

• Like 1

Tea , though not defined as taboo item in any rehatnamah , I still feel is no no for us as all it has are rotten leaves of a plant ( many Sants who used to visit our house in my childhood used to say it has " Tambaku di putth" so my parents stopped taking it ) In winter i use many combos of desi chah ( chahta , saunfa , desi chah etc among many names i hear for these .

• Like 1

when did drinking tea become bujjer kurehit?

The normal tea & tealeaves before appearing out kitchens goes through 3 processes - CTC ( Cutting Tanning & Curling processes) - I personally I feel if anyone witnesses the tanning process he will never take atleast black tea or the Indian chai . In the process the tealeaves cut inti small pieces ( like we cut cattle fodder ) and mixed with some chemicals and left in pits to rot ( oxidise ) so it gets the required colour , after a few days the wet leaves are roasted on s;low fire when it gets curled and takes for of grannules ( what we get in packs) & dust normally used in teabags . Like i have explained in another post here , my parents stopped having tea when one Mahapurush during his visit to our house explained it . Bujjer kurehats have been proscribed by our great 10 th Master , and during those days tea was not used in our motherland , it was introduced in India by Brits .

Guest Jacfsing2

The normal tea & tealeaves before appearing out kitchens goes through 3 processes - CTC ( Cutting Tanning & Curling processes) - I personally I feel if anyone witnesses the tanning process he will never take atleast black tea or the Indian chai . In the process the tealeaves cut inti small pieces ( like we cut cattle fodder ) and mixed with some chemicals and left in pits to rot ( oxidise ) so it gets the required colour , after a few days the wet leaves are roasted on s;low fire when it gets curled and takes for of grannules ( what we get in packs) & dust normally used in teabags . Like i have explained in another post here , my parents stopped having tea when one Mahapurush during his visit to our house explained it . Bujjer kurehats have been proscribed by our great 10 th Master , and during those days tea was not used in our motherland , it was introduced in India by Brits .

Guru Sahib isn't just limited to India, plus he's Atarjami so he must know tea existed. There was a British doctor that helped Guru Sahib when he allowed himself to be stabbed, (because he controls all the events that happen to him).

Guru Sahib isn't just limited to India, plus he's Atarjami so he must know tea existed. There was a British doctor that helped Guru Sahib when he allowed himself to be stabbed, (because he controls all the events that happen to him).

DO YOU SAY I AM INCORRECT HISTORICALLY ? OR THE FACTS PUT IN MY POST ARE INCORRECT?

Edited by JSINGHANANDPUR

The organic tea estate we went to as a family in darjeeling did not add anything to the leaves to oxidise and left leaves to naturally breakdown they stopped fermentation by steaming leaves at different stages so I cannot say if this was unique to them but that is my experience

• Like 1

besides cha came from China the Portuguese brought it to Europe and then The Britsh brought it to India in a second wave to break Chinese monopoly of market.

It was originally used a medicinal drink not as the gorey drink it cup upon cup with sugar and milk

Edited by jkvlondon
  • Like 1

besides cha came from China the Portuguese brought it to Europe and then The Britsh brought it to India in a second wave to break Chinese monopoly of market.

It was originally used a medicinal drink not as the gorey drink it cup upon cup with sugar and milk

True. Cha was introduced to India by China, which leads me to something another fella said. He said:

apparently i heard drinking too much chai makes you...

Chai ????? :nono:

Have some Punjabi pride my friend. Cha was introduced to the whole sub-continent by the Chinese and guess what the Chinese word for tea is ?

Yes thats right, its Cha (tsa). Not 'chai'. It's Cha.

Just because them foreign people (Indians) that live in a foreign land to us (south of us in a place called Hindustan) and speak a foreign language (Hindi) have corrupted the correct word, i.e are too stupid to know the proper word, it does not mean we should join them.

Every time I hear Punjabis saying the word 'chai' I feel like punching them for their stupidity.