Simple Questions

Guest confused

Guest confused

WJKK WJKF

This might be some silly questions but i need some advice please.

If I read paath do i need to clean my mouth out first? i have been told to do this before doing paath to have a "succha" mouth. But what if im on my phone and on this forum for example and someone posts a Shabad? Do i need to find the near tap and was my mouth out?

I have ocd and need to clear my head up. I dont know if what i do is right or wrong. I want to read paath, but it takes my sometimes 25-30 mins to do Jap Ji Sahib as i keep repeating myself thinknig ive done it wrong? Shall i ignore these thoughts and carry on or do i stop and repeat myself as i think its wrong?

I want to start Jap Sahib but its the same issue i cant seem to start it. I try doing the first 50 pauris but it takes me 25-30 mins repeating myself.

I know its my bad karam that i cant recite Guruji's sweet bani properly.

Thanks for reading

WJKK WJKF

Dear sikha,

When I do my Paath I generally wash my face and hands before I start. I also get tongue tied when doing the Paath but I resay what I said and then move on and I find it helps you to memorise the mistake and correct it the next time.

I'm not an expert and I don't know much lol, but I feel that if you have the opportunity to wash your body before you start Paath, it's fine. If not, it's also fine. I once heard in katha that when one has dirty hands they wash them in water, when ones clothes become dirty they are also able to be cleaned but when ones soul is dirty and blemished, water cannot clean and remove the blemish. The cleanser is naam, wahegurus gurbani via the 10 Shri guru sahibs and the Shiri Guru Granth Sahib ji. So when you do your Paath, think that you are cleansing your whole body, your mind and your soul.

Keep strong and use sikhi to weaken your OCD tendancy, treat it as a category within the 5 vices which we must try and beat.

Dear _Confused_,

just remember, you are not the body, your true essence is the soul. the washing practices you mention, I do not how or when, but these rituals have been introduced and mixed up with our Gurmat, by the weak manmukhs, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Humans have the ability to imbibe or copy what they see or hear others do.

And the washings you say, are a part and parcel of other religions, which I do not want to mention, so that nobody feels hurt, but we know which of them are....

So, do not get confused, and do your spiritual practices, with your mind, with your soul.

Because it is the dirty mind which has to be purified, with the soap of Nam, and it is the soul which has to merge in Him.

Wahiguru´s devotion is simple and easy for anybody. He does not ask us for anything, but to give Him our heart.

And if we do so, He will fill it with His Daya Meher, with His mercy and love, not only that, but He himself will come and sit within our hearts.

So simple, no?

Dear _Confused_,

just remeber, you are not the body, your true essence is the soul. the washing practices you mention, I do not how or when, but these rituals have been introduced and mixed up with our Gurmat, by the weak manmukhs, whether consciously or unconsciously.

And the washings you say, are a part and parcel of other religions, which I do not want to mention, so that nobody feels hurt, but we know which of them are....

So, do not get confused, and do your spiritual practices, with your mind, with your soul.

Because it is the dirty mind which has to be purified, with the soap of Nam, and it is the soul which has to merge in Him.

Wahiguru´s devotion is simple and easy for anybody. He does not ask us for anything, but to give Him our heart.

And if we do so, He will fill it with His Daya Meher, with His mercy and love, not only that, but He himself will come and sit within our hearts.

So simple, no?

WJKK WJKF

Beautifully written post and I totally agree with your view.

• 2 years later...
Guest Kulwinder Singh

Dear _Confused_,

since last 4 months, I am also suffering from this same OCD_hand washing-mouth washing-repeating hymns again & again....and its really taking a toll at my life, my mental peace... with god's grace, even then somehow waheguru is making me do morning and evening nitnem and visit gurudwra sahib daily....but this ocd is ruining my life...and my issue is i don't have that much ocd in my normal life...almost all of ocd starts with paath and gurudwara sahib...once, i almost cried...as all others went straight to darbar sahib without any hand or mouth washing....and here i am, washing hands & mouth for 10 min...am getting tortured daily...5 min di ardass karan nun kayi vaar 20-25 min lag rahe ne...my normal life, my job, my family all is suffering...

Guest Kulwinder Singh

Dear _Confused_,

just remeber, you are not the body, your true essence is the soul. the washing practices you mention, I do not how or when, but these rituals have been introduced and mixed up with our Gurmat, by the weak manmukhs, whether consciously or unconsciously.

So simple, no?

Can i get your phone no or email....i want to talk with you regarding my ocd issue....your vichaar can help me as my ocd is purely religious...

Dear _Confused_,

since last 4 months, I am also suffering from this same OCD_hand washing-mouth washing-repeating hymns again & again....and its really taking a toll at my life, my mental peace... with god's grace, even then somehow waheguru is making me do morning and evening nitnem and visit gurudwra sahib daily....but this ocd is ruining my life...and my issue is i don't have that much ocd in my normal life...almost all of ocd starts with paath and gurudwara sahib...once, i almost cried...as all others went straight to darbar sahib without any hand or mouth washing....and here i am, washing hands & mouth for 10 min...am getting tortured daily...5 min di ardass karan nun kayi vaar 20-25 min lag rahe ne...my normal life, my job, my family all is suffering...

Get some counselling, and as suggested for the OP, see your doctor about this.

Bro, I think you need to get help (I mean this in the nicest way possible). Your personal issues coupled with your desire to follow the correct methods of worship, etc, will overwhelm you if you don't get a handle on the underlying problems. Don't burn yourself out, and end up dropping everything after a year or two when it becomes too much for you to handle.