Shabad For Falling Asleep

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I've been having trouble sleeping for about the last month. I have a bit of stress going on in my life (just the basic stuff everyone has- job security, money, etc.) and I had a family-friend who was like an older brother to me pass away last month (I lost my older brother when I was in grade 12 and my family friend was my older brother figure ever since). I don't really feel tired throughout the day but I can't stay asleep throughout most of the night and my mind isn't really stressing about things (maybe it's subconscious??). Is there any shabad that you would recommend me doing right before or as I am trying to sleep??

Guest GuptSewa

Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh

Khalsa Ji,

Firstly let me extend my sincere condolences for your loss.

As SikhSeeker has stated, the best thing to read before going to sleep is Kirtan Sohila. I would recommend reading it in Gurmukhi, or listening to it, then read it in English and contemplate the meanings and what Guru Ji is saying.

Following this, I would recommend Jaaping Naam, 'Vaheguroo' or 'Mool Mantar' while in bed.

There are also many other relaxation techniques you could do in addition to this, relaxing muscle tension by concentrating on that part of the body, from the feet, to legs, arms, face etc and also not to consume foods too late or containing sugar 3 hours before bed.

All the best.

Focus on everything is folding back to Ikongkar or Ongkar or oan - beej(seed-unborn nature) roop- sun smadhi-non transcendental state- pure empty void, nothing else to concentrate on, its good for trying to get to sleep and another way to control your thoughts in the meditation.

A good days work equal good days sleep. Read Taksal Maryada and do everyhing init. Wake up in the.morning.and recite.waheguru gurmanter 5 times and. then do ardas that you will never be scared of Subh Karm and do them as fast as possible and do smart things as fast as possible... this will teach u to listen to the Gurus inner voice.

Have you tried counselling... Becuase sometimes when we are affected with stress and such things one of the many things that get impaired is our sleep patterns. Maybe you havent fully dealt with your loss which is therefore causing a negative effect on you body. And also any form of shabad could be beneficial even ardass :)

Fateh

Dear _Guest_,

Really giving a second thought to your question, which is deep by itself, though with another aspect or connotation, but the fact is if you want to have a good sleep, you must do some sort of physical work or exercise, to the extent you get physically exhausted.

But to think, that by reading or pondering on some Shabad, I will get a good sleep ... I personally do not think that is a right attitude or perspective.

Beware, because any Shabad from the Bani, if it strikes your mind, then you will even get less sleep, or you will not need it at all.

Just think, the Shabad, which sustains the whole creation with its energy ...will it not give you that support, that anchor, that energy, that you will be lighter and stronger in all ways, whether physical, whether mental or spiritually healed.

Means when one´s soul, drinks the Amrit of that Nam, that Shabad, within, one turns from agyanta to gurmukhta, from a sleepy state to "jagrata", of a Brahamgyani, you will feel just fresh at all times, otherwise, how do we explain, that mahapurukhs are so fresh at all times...what is their secret?

By attaching ourselves to Nam or Shabad, and getting merged into it, one elevates one´s consciousness above the borders of the law of karmas, which may come and go, but will not affect one´s inner peace, and bliss.

Outwardly we may look, we are suffering, but the fact is, the soul attached to Shabad within, by His grace, is above the effects of all karmas and does not get affected by them in any way.

So, read the Bani, and try to act upon the base of Gurmat, by attaching yourself at all times to that only reality, which is Nam or Shabad.

The following words of Sachay Patshah in Raag Sorath, are very soothing for the soul, and they confirm, that what has been humbly advised above:

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ

Jan Naanak Naam Dhhiaaeiaa

जन नानक नामु धिआइआ

Servant Nanak meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord,

ਤਾ ਸਗਲੇ ਦੂਖ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ

Thaa Sagalae Dhookh Mittaaeiaa

ता सगले दूख मिटाइआ

And all his sorrows depart.

The bhakti of Nam is such pure and high, that it not only mitigates one´s sorrows, by washing our sins, but at the same time, it fills us with His virtues, such as, His Consciousness, His bliss .... to the extent that we become one with Him, without any distinction.

What else do we need?

Why do we fail to understand the Bani?

What is the reason, that we do not follow Gurmat, but our own manipulations, our maanmat with ceremonies, rites, rituals, etc...

As per Gurmat, if we take any ang from the Bani, it only stresses on Nam and its bhakti, on Shabad, the essence of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

May God bless you.

Waheguru Jee.