What Is The World Coming To. Amritdharis Believe In The Caste System

Artmental

• 2 weeks later...

I agree there shouldn't be any castes, but they exist.

I don't necessarily think one caste is superior to another, but people who belong to certain castes often have certain habitats / characteristics. So when looking at marriage compatibility, there are issues which would be naive to ignore.

I agree there shouldn't be any castes, but they exist.

I don't necessarily think one caste is superior to another, but people who belong to certain castes often have certain habitats / characteristics. So when looking at marriage compatibility, there are issues which would be naive to ignore.

WJKK WJKF

I understand your point, however when parents are looking for a engagement for their children a match should be made based on the characteristics of their child, not the characteristic of their caste. The main issue which is unfortunately ignored by our naive outlook is we simply ignore gurmat,

If we all followed gurmat and blindly follow our caste, there would be more common characteristics between sikhs than differences. So it basically goes back to us believing in caste and not gurmat.

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF

I understand your point, however when parents are looking for a engagement for their children a match should be made based on the characteristics of their child, not the characteristic of their caste. The main issue which is unfortunately ignored by our naive outlook is we simply ignore gurmat,

If we all followed gurmat and blindly follow our caste, there would be more common characteristics between sikhs than differences. So it basically goes back to us believing in caste and not gurmat.

WJKK WJKF

Sure character of child is more important then caste, but unfortunately caste still plays a part in traits of both the child and his / her family.

If everyone followed gurmat and were gurmukh there would be no caste or caste traits, but this is not reality at present.

Sure character of child is more important then caste, but unfortunately caste still plays a part in traits of both the child and his / her family.

If everyone followed gurmat and were gurmukh there would be no caste or caste traits, but this is not reality at present.

WJKK WJKF

Exactly, alittle like the climate change scenario where if one person switches off the light when not in use, there is little after affect however if everyone switched off the light bulb when they don't need it, there would be a huge difference. We as sikhs need to recognise that caste is the biggest problem in sikhi today, after that we should not then do nothing and carrying on wedding our children within castes, the war on caste should be taken place on an individual basis, alongside gurmat then barriers will break down.

The reality at present is we all do parchar and preach about gurmat, but on this one topic we allow a sympathy as we still hold pride in our caste, hence why theirs differences within sikhs, "they do this, we don't do that" ideology leading to as you stated "Sure character of child is more important then caste, but unfortunately caste still plays a part in traits of both the child and his / her family". As a parent caste should not be preached to a child, gurmat and sikhi should, if we all did this then there would be no difference, but due to caste supremacy, it is preaced and differences are born at a young age. So it stems down to this point, not different characteristics of different castes, but caste supremacy.

We harbour many excuses bout anti gurmat opinions on caste. When are we just gona say its wrong, it's against Guru Nanak ji's Khalsa and we are gona change it? We are the next generation, the change is applicable in our hands if we want it. There are many differences within us, yet their is one common thing which such neutralise all these differences as we all claim Shiri Guru Granth Sahib ji Mahraj as our guru, shouldn't we then listen?

WJKK WJKF

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with a punjabi wedding is that two families get married and not just two individuals.

You find this is the reason it's best to marry someone in your own branding because of customs and rituals. You know all this but like to make a scene of the caste system.

The caste system today is different to the one in the gurus days where people judged you on the level of humanity, now it's just rehni behni. I feel it's ok to say no to a certain set of people because they live different. People have different standards and morals some care more and some don't care at all, and this is what people are looking for not that you was a farmer or someone who made dishes.

Even satguru amardass ji asked the caste of bhai jheta who later became satguru raamdass ji, satguru ramdaas ji also replied by stating his caste.

Get over it.

The problem with a punjabi wedding is that two families get married and not just two individuals.

You find this is the reason it's best to marry someone in your own branding because of customs and rituals. You know all this but like to make a scene of the caste system.

The caste system today is different to the one in the gurus days where people judged you on the level of humanity, now it's just rehni behni. I feel it's ok to say no to a certain set of people because they live different. People have different standards and morals some care more and some don't care at all, and this is what people are looking for not that you was a farmer or someone who made dishes.

Even satguru amardass ji asked the caste of bhai jheta who later became satguru raamdass ji, satguru ramdaas ji also replied by stating his caste.

Get over it.

WJKK WJKF

Dear brother,

I totally disagree with your opinion. It is not a matter of "getting over it" as it affects our Nirmal panth. The notion of marrying within your own "branding" is mannmatt, not gurmat. Gurmat teaches no caste, your customs and rituals should be based on the foundation of the khalsa and gurmat, not panjabi custom and rituals. To say you believe in caste simply means you do not believe in our guru and their shabad, rather you believe in the Brahman hierarchy of caste.

The way one's character is shaped is affected in which Region they live, agreed! But if there is one foundation to which one makes decisions of life by, meaning the Shiri Guru Granth Sahib ji, rituals, cultures and traditions mean nout.

It is simply preserving the so called caste bloodlines by marrying within castes

WJKK WJKF

I just know that caste system is not part of Sikhi and should never be given importance. It is very shameful that Sikhs prefer caste system and feel proud of their caste esp, the Sikhs who live in India are filled with haumai of their caste.

It hurts more when it comes from Amrritdharis.

I have seen many inter-caste marriages, including mine, and many inter racial marriages which are as successful as any marriage within caste.

Young Amritdharis should step up to their parents and tell them that they don't care about caste. This step might be rebellious and hard but it will be bliss for future of Sikhi. I find this is the most effective way to tackle this problem.