Question On Diet

Guest Jas

First of all let me say that I don't want this to turn into an argument about meat vs vegetarian, I just want to ask a question.

I turned vegetarian two months ago as I have become a lot more interested in Sikhi and used to be nastik. Anyway my family and group of friends all eat meat daily and have started to make fun of me and call me a "vashnu". When I asked them what it means they didn't explain and just kept calling it to me.

People keep saying to me to eat meat and saying you're young you need to eat meat and eggs to grow.

I have three questions.

1. What is a vashnu and why do they call me this.

2. Will stopping meat affect my growth and health?

3. Do eggs count as meat. What is argument behind this.

Thank you to Sikh Sangat for providing a website where confused youth can ask for help.

First of all let me say that I don't want this to turn into an argument about meat vs vegetarian, I just want to ask a question.

I turned vegetarian two months ago as I have become a lot more interested in Sikhi and used to be nastik. Anyway my family and group of friends all eat meat daily and have started to make fun of me and call me a "vashnu". When I asked them what it means they didn't explain and just kept calling it to me.

People keep saying to me to eat meat and saying you're young you need to eat meat and eggs to grow.

I have three questions.

1. What is a vashnu and why do they call me this.

2. Will stopping meat affect my growth and health?

3. Do eggs count as meat. What is argument behind this.

Thank you to Sikh Sangat for providing a website where confused youth can ask for help.

Dont you think your 2nd question should be asked to your family doctor or a GP?

1. Apart from Hindu caste, Vashno also means vegetarian in punjabi. e.g. some people say "ansi vashno vyaah karna", means totally vegetarian wedding.

2. I don't think eating no meat can effect the growth. Our Guru sahiban, singh shaehehs, mahapurkhs, gursikh, sikh-sangat never eat meat. It's just you have to take special care of your veg-diet, takiing all the required nutrients and vitamins that body needs.

3. Egg is not allowed because it is further to give birth to a chicken, and by not giving that opportunity, its like killing it. It's like an abortion. Apart from this, eggs has many side-effects, google it. Hope this makes sense.

2. I don't think eating no meat can effect the growth. Our Guru sahiban, singh shaehehs, mahapurkhs, gursikh, sikh-sangat never eat meat. It's just you have to take special care of your veg-diet, takiing all the required nutrients and vitamins that body needs.

Re 2nd point. I have a similar 'thought' on veg-diet. Question is that what if the Doctor says vegetarian diet effects his growth hormone, will he reconsider consumption of non-vegetarian diet or not? Let him first clear this with his doc.

As a sikh (especially amritdhari) vegetarian diet is preferred by most sampardas.

WJKK WJKF

I was in the exact same situation as you when I quit meat when I was 9 years old. My family ate meat and looked down at me, but don't worry there's nothing wrong with your decision.

1) A vashnu is a hindu sect that doesn't eat meat. They're calling you this to make fun of you because a lot of punjabi's like making fun of Hindu's. But don't give in, these are just uneducated jokes.

2) I was short and fat when I was 9. After giving up meat I lost weight and my height grew a crazy amount. I'm 16 and 5'10, I might be able to hit 6 feet. (This is crazy good for me because my parents are both short and being tall doesn't run in my family). Just keep eating a good amount of butter, milk, bourn vita, and anything else healthy that has protein like daal and you'll be fine. (People will tell you that you need meat protein to grow, but that's not true. Punjabi sabji's, daal, and milk are extremely good). If you can workout that's also good, it'll help a lot.

3) And yes, eggs are meat. From my understanding they're unborn chicken fetus's. I learned this not too long ago and I'm quitting eating eggs. I live in Canada and it's tough staying away from a lot of pastries. But eventually your desire to eat things like these dies out.

You're on the right path, don't let anyone convince you that meat is good. Meat has it's pros but the negative effects of meat on the body outweigh the positive. When you're an adult and have good health, you'll be so happy you gave up meat.

• 1 month later...

A balanced diet is neither vegan nor meat - Balanced means which fulfils all body requirements for carbs (energy ) Proteins (needed for reconstruction) Fats ( body insulation & functioning of Many glands , vitamins & micronutrients required for digestion , assimilation and smooth functioning of Nervous System

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Apart from Hindu caste, Vashno also means vegetarian in punjabi. e.g. some people say "ansi vashno vyaah karna", means totally vegetarian wedding.

3. Egg is not allowed because it is further to give birth to a chicken, and by not giving that opportunity, its like killing it. It's like an abortion. Apart from this, eggs has many side-effects, google it. Hope this makes sense.

All our gurus ate meat and so did singhs unless explicitly mentioned otherwise like Sant Jarnail Singh and sant orders (which do not have large numbers, irrelevant to their work and influence; not trying to dishonor them) Certainly all purataan singhs did, and almost all do today; stop lying. Not going to argue, Guru Sahib's forst order after amrit sanchar was to go hunt and eat your kills; be free of the halal only tyranny of Aurangzeb (he had ordered only halal, any who ate it were considered muslim. Then if they broke Islamic 'laws' they would be killed. Way around no compulsion in religion bs, and an indirect method of death. Especially as more warriors tended to eat meat, rather than genuine 'hindus').

To Op, it's personal choice go research it. Won't say more as you asked for no debate, which usually just means Sikhs telling Vaishnavites the truth about meat in sikhi; and, them replying with lies like the above quoted.

ਖਾਲਿਸਤਾਨ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਾਬਾਦ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹਿ | |