Sikh Pilot Alleges Emirates Denied Him A Job Because He Wears A Turban

singhbj singh

Sikh pilot alleges Emirates denied him a job because he wears a turban

New Delhi: A pilot has alleged discrimination by the Gulf-based Emirates Airlines, saying that after being shortlisted for an interview he was turned down only because he wears a turban. CNN-IBN has accessed the email exchange between the airline and the pilot. He has been a pilot for almost nine years now, flying more than 5,500 hours both nationally and internationally. But after being shortlisted for an interview with gulf-based Emirates airlines, he didn't get the job because he is a turbaned Sikh. "I got to know from my friends that there is a bias against turbaned Sikhs and I laughed that such a big company would never do that. In the subsequent mails I sent, it was a shocker for me. I was told I need not come as there is a rule being followed and they are not making any changes," he said. To clear any doubts, he emailed a photograph to Emirates. The response was quick. Barely a week before the final round, he was told that since the hat is a mandatory part of the uniform, he had been disqualified. "If they have any policy against turbaned Sikhs they should come forward and it should be mentioned that turbaned Sikhs should not apply. I applied, I got a call, was about to leave and just for my satisfaction wanted to know if there was a certain bias and to my shock got to know that there was a bias that is currently going on. It is uncalled for, unheard of. If you do fulfill the requirements, you should be taken on merit rather than on your religious belief or the way you look," the pilot said. Despite repeated attempts for an official response, Emirates chose to stay away from this controversial topic. Turbaned Sikh pilots are flying aircraft across the world. And considering the turban is an integral part of their culture, several airlines have an exception to their uniform rules. But the emails, a copy of which is available with CNN-IBN clearly indicate how the existing uniform code of Emirates ensures that an entire community is literally banned from working with one of the world's largest airlines.

Source - http://ibnlive.in.com/news/sikh-pilot-alleges-emirates-denied-him-a-job-because-he-wears-a-turban/432092-3-244.html?utm_source=ref_article

Emirates should revise their decision and offer Singh compensation and offer Him Captain Job.

or else put up a poster in every gurdwara to avoid using the airline which insults the Dastaar of Our Founding Guru Sahibans. The adverts of this racist airline in Sikh and Punjabi Newspapers should not be permitted.

Emirates should revise their decision and offer Singh compensation and offer Him Captain Job.

or else put up a poster in every gurdwara to avoid using the airline which insults the Dastaar of Our Founding Guru Sahibans. The adverts of this racist airline in Sikh and Punjabi Newspapers should not be permitted.

Very well said with practical suggestions to get this racial airlines grounded.

They gave a statement today clarifying. They said hat is mandatory part of uniform. Surprising how an airlines originating from Arabian culture can have an issue with turban.

My bro is in dubai..He works in National Airlines of america (cargo).. So far I know about Gulf countries , They don't have any problem with turban.. They have problem with his religion. and it did not happen only with him..There are also hindus and christians.. In every department ,top management adminsiteration includes Western people mostly others too but should have hard hitting qualifications... Sikhs can go into middle management and lower management easily because there is not that restriction about religious beliefs...

but all these three levels (TOP<MIDDLE<LOWER) is ruled by one arabic man...........so the main thing is that if he was muslim ..they were not gonna refuse him to wear turban..

Emirates is operated by the king(ruler of dubai) Mohammad in rashid al makhtum.. if he passes any statement in favour of that sikh guy.. The administration of western people will allow him to wear turban. The secret truth is that The king of Dubai works under the USA government if he does not ,america can start war against UAE... but I m pretty sure If obama says him anything regarding this issue he ll change his polices just in seconds.

but Their priority is also their religion.,,