Master Tara Singh

Nalwa

this is from the writings of Sirdar Kapur Singh, but even though his writings are very critical, we can deduce from Master Ji's activity during this time that he wasnt keen on this mass conversion.

If he was, he woudl have invited them straightaway, and even gone to Mumbai, to get them converted.

But I am going to look into this further, and i will share anything i find here.

• 4 weeks later...

Master tara was a hindu for the mojority of his life, had a hindu upbringing, converted to Sikhi much later in lafe, obviously he was going to side with the hindus.

If it wasn't for Mastar Tara Singh, today Punjab would have been part of Pakistan. And for that, most of his family was butchered during partition. Being born into another faith has nothing to do with one's loyalty. Baba Banda Singh Bahadur was born and raised as a Hindu before he converted to Sikhi and became the leader of the Sikh Qaum and established the first Sikh Raaj. Prof Sahib Singh Jee was born a Hindu before becoming a Sikh and becoming one of the greatest Sikh scholars. Besides former Hindus, you will even find many examples of Sikhs who were former Muslims, but lived and died as Sikhs.

On the other side of the spectrum, Badal, KPS Gill, Gen Brar, Dayal etc are born and raised as Sikhs, yet we know where their loyalties lie.

No he is right. Its a mistake to trust people coming into Sikhi from other non-Sikh backgrounds, especially Hindus. They can never be trusted and should never be given any sort of leadership roles. Baba Banda Singh Bahadur and Prof Sahib Singh just happened to be a blessing, but otherwise Hindus who become Sikhs should never be trusted as they most likely always have an agenda. Only those who are born in Sikh families and raised throughout their life as Sikhs should have the right to lead the qaum.

Never expected from you Mehtab . You are from Hindu background still you think like this.

Often, converts are even more passionate for a cause than those who were born into the religion. They have gone out of their way to find this path. I doubt Master Tara Singh was a puppet. Even after independence he still fought for a punjabi speaking state and was arrested numerous times. His granddaughter is a member if the SGPC today.

However one thing Sikhs could have benefitted from was having a highly educated politically aware leader. Jinnah, Nehru and Gandhi all went to Oxford/Cambridge and were sly enough. Perhaps Tara Singh was too honest and gullible.

That's the beauty of this faith. It does not hold any importance to from where one is born. If you are born into the house of a king you are just as equal as one who is born into the beggers house. You're a king, in your own home but come to Guru sahibs home then you are all kings at the same level. To say something as ignorant as "He was a hindu for the majority of his life and he would side with the hindus" is not only disrespectful to Guru Sahib but is against Guru Sahibs teachings directly.

S4NGH we all say things that can be wrong and sometimes our intentions are not in the wrong place. I just hope you look into what you have said and understand there are many Sikhs with us today who are not of Sikh upbringing. I'm not saying come here and appologise or anything but just review what you've said in a logical manner and perhaps seek the council of Gurbani on this thought as it can be a very dangerous one.

No one should apologize for the way they think as we're living in a free world (supposedly). Moreover, its not one person's opinion, it just reflects how several (not all) people can think and feel. I am beginning to feel that if Bhagat Puran Singh jee or Swami Ram Tirath Dandi Sanyasi (later Ram Singh after he took Amrit) had lived any longer, who knows, they would be though of in a similar fashion perhaps? After all, didn't Bhagat Puran Singh jee say "Stop these mockeries and do not talk, but live. Do not be anxious to save Sikhism. Rest assured that Sikhism can take care of itself. Your only anxiety should be to save yourself". Based on popular opinion on this forum, I'd say that much would be enough to say the same things about him as some have said about Master Tara Singh.