Sign in to follow this  

TheFancyBanana    741

I can read and write Gurmukhi well, but I have some trouble with understanding certain paths. Do we have to do our path in the original Punjabi? Wouldn't it be better for people who can't read/understand gurbani to read it in a language they understand. So when they do Japji Sahib, they could read it in English. I mean the whole point of doing path is to understand and take on board the message gurbani gives.

tuhintuhin    621

Rab nu jidan marji yaad karo pyaar te shardha naal, oh usnu milda hai. God looks for love, innocence and faith, doesn't go after words.

But as far as literal reading is concerned. English translations are not bad, something is better than nothing.

But as Gurbani is wrtten in poetry form, the "raag" can be sung only in gurmukhi and one needs to know gurbani to understand katha and keertan. To add further, to read other sacred texts and books.

You can certainly ask someone to explain you, but if one knows by oneself, he/she doesn't have to wait for somebody else to explain.

Also Gurbani is uttered by Guru sahib ji, may be beacuse Guru ji thought it to be the best medium.

Plus we don't really give that much respect to english translations as we do to actual Gurbani.

But I personally think, being born in a Sikh family, one should learn Gurmukhi. Or may be at least do the santheya, so gurbani path can be done correctly.

But at the end it all depends on person's will to learn and explore, but should keep in mind that if we are born in a sikh family, there's a reason behind it.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by tuhintuhin
  • Like 3

luckysingh99    1,146

I can read and write Gurmukhi well, but I have some trouble with understanding certain paths. Do we have to do our path in the original Punjabi? Wouldn't it be better for people who can't read/understand gurbani to read it in a language they understand. So when they do Japji Sahib, they could read it in English. I mean the whole point of doing path is to understand and take on board the message gurbani gives.

Isn't this what we should do anyway ??

I've been doing this for some time and don't know any other way. My Punjabi is a complete 2nd language as I am a 3rd generation Brit and I think I've done pretty well with my mixed and matched methods because I don't know anyone from my era and background that can even speak Punjabi fluently let alone try to read it !