Sikh Couple Kicked Out Of Movie Theater For Wearing Kirpan

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

I know this Gursikh couple who went to watch movie at AMC theatre in Emeryville, CA. While the Singh was waiting in line, he was racially profiled and pulled out by the security guards. He was the only one who was searched as he was wearing a Dumalla. His kirpan was not visible at that point. He was searched and his turban was patted down. They saw the kirpan and asked him to leave the theater. When he tried to give them reasonable explanation, the security personal did not listen and said ," I know about Sikhs". They had to leave and their evening was ruined :-(

Now they have started this petition, please sign it

https://www.change.org/petitions/amc-bay-street-16-theaters-in-emeryville-stop-banning-sikhs?utm_campaign=share_button_mobile&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

United Sikhs traceable petition

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50846/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=11324

Thank you

A true sikh can never go to theatre to watch movies.

Veerji, they did not go to theater to watch a dirty movie or something... there are many other genres like animated movies or action movies... They were having a day out after such a long time.. They are American born Amritdhari Sikhs who follow strict AKJ rehit..

This is terrible. :angry2:

But what is the legal situation in America regarding kirpans ? Did AMC behave unethically or illegally ? Did they simply go against the their own ethics published in their corporate policy or did they break a right enshrined in law ?

My natural reaction is to suggest Singh and Kaur start legal action against AMC, but I realise discrimination law in America is very different to the UK. In America it is a long and costly process, not unlike 3rd world countries. In Europe of course such action is completely free, as it is considered for the social good.

Given the Chinese company's recent losses regarding disability discrimination I suggest Singh and Kaur and indeed all of us, remind the very Jewish orientated board of AMC of the very first anti-Jewish Law that Germany passed in 1933. That Law banned Jews from attending movie theatres......in other words gave cinemas the right to refuse entry to Jews simply for being a Jew. Trust me, there are many points of ours that AMC will either not understand or simply ignore....but this one will hit home hard.