Question On Sikh Religious Songs

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I have a question on Sikhism.

I like to listen and watch videos of Sikh Kirtan/songs.

But Im curious and interested to know where do these songs come from?? are they reading from the Sikh Holy book when they sing ie do these come from the Holy book? or ae they separate songs that have been made up by Sikhs.

ive also noticed the Tabla is played along with these hyms. but im confused about where these songs come from.

Guest guest

Hello, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for your reply

What is the purpose of the Shabads? And where they mostly written and compiled by Guru Nanak Ji? ie which Guru was responsible for most of the Shabads? also what is the aim of the Shabads? are they basicaly the same as Christian Hymns? ie is it just singing Gods praises or are they education aswell? ie telling us about the Sikh religion?

There are two types of religious song.

1) Kirtan or shabads which are hymns from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, Guru Gobind Singh ji, Bhai Gurdas ji and Bhai Nand lal ji Only !!

2) Dharmik geet which are Punjabi songs dedicated to Sikhism and gurus not from the Guru Granth Sahib ji, but written by other poets or song writers/musicians..

The kirtan is strictly gurbani that is from the

-all the composers of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji such as the Gurus and Bhagats,

-Guru Gobind Singh Ji from Dasam bani,

- Bhai Gurdas ji

-and Bhai Nand lal ji.

Strictly speaking, ONLY these are allowed to be sung or performed in the presence of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji or on the Gurdwara stage.

However, there is ONE exception to this, AND Only One as far as I know, and that is the Dhadi jathas that perform in the gurdwaras.

As far as I am aware and from what I think or assume, -these Dhadees are NOT allowed to sit in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib ji like other kirtan performers do, which is why they are always stood up whilst performing there inspirational songs and poetry.

I'm not too sure about these Dhadee regulations but as far as I am aware, only they are authorized to sing other material that is NOT classed as gurbani.

Strictly speaking, one is not allowed to perform the dharmik geet (2), on the gurdwara stage because it is NOT gurbani.

Therefore the songs like satguru mera, ik baba Nanak si ..etc.. are not to be sang whilst on Gurdwara stage in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji (strictly speaking!)

I enjoy both kirtan and dharmik geet by various artists.

There are some very inspirational dharmik geet out there such as 'Ucha dar babe Nanak da', 'Bole so nihal', and the newer 'Nanaki da veer' by Diljit Dosanjh...etc..etc..

I find that it is important to understand this and be able to distinguish what is Gurbani Kirtan and what are Dharmik geet that can be written by anyone !

I hope you understand my attempt at explaining this :biggrin2:

Guest Singh

LuckySingh99, Thanks for explaining.I think that was quite a good definition.

It makes more sense now when i will listen to Kirtan I will know exactly where the Shabads come from.

Im actually a punjabi born Sikh. I did not mean to come across as a gorah or anything but i think I may have come across that way lol