Pakistan’S First Sikh Parliamentarian Since Partition Takes Oath

In a historic milestone for the long persecuted Sikh community in Pakistan, a Sikh representative took oath as member of the Punjab Provincial Assembly, for the first time since the Partition.

Nominated on a seat reserved for minorities by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Sardar Ramesh Singh Arora became the first Sikh Member of Provincial Assembly (MPA) in Punjab Province, in its first session, The Express Tribune reported.

“As the first Sikh to have taken oath as a Parliamentarian in the Punjab Assembly since 1947, I am absolutely delighted to be part of this August house. The position certainly comes with a lot of responsibility. I will not only be representing my own community but all the minorities in the Province,” the report quoted him as saying.

Arora said minorities in Pakistan would benefit from the PML-N’s drive to eliminate load shedding and to revive an economy mired in debt. He said his nomination to the Assembly came with great responsibility and that he would work for the rehabilitation of historical and religious sites of the Sikhs.

PML-N is headed by incoming Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Sharif’s brother Shahbaz will become Punjab’s Chief Minister for the third timewhen he takes oath on June 6.

https://www.niticentral.com/2013/06/02/pakistan%E2%80%99s-first-sikh-parliamentarian-since-partition-takes-oath-84810.html