Sign in to follow this  
Singh559

Historic Painting: Nihang Resting Listening To Music.

Does anyone know which painting I'm talking about? I've been trying to find it for some reason. Would appreciate if anyone could post it here.

I'm having a very weird case of Deja Vu. Sitting in langar hall and then Google looking for the same painting and this thread was first thing I found with my google search lol. Has been almost 3 years on dot and still haven't found it.

Anyone? The Singh is resting under a tree and appears to be listening to classical music.

Any chance you can take a photo of it and maybe use a reverse image search app, if it's possible?

Not sure if it can be done though. Or ask the Gurdwara about it.

Edited by simran345

Last time I saw it was years aGo on the internet.

Just randomly remembered it sitting at GW lol

Does anyone know which painting I'm talking about? I've been trying to find it for some reason. Would appreciate if anyone could post it here.

No, I don't know which painting you are referring to. Besides, how do you know he was listening to classical music? Did the painting have a date and signature of the artist at the bottom? Can you describe the style, ambience, colours, mood, light, movement and general impression of this famous work of art a bit more? Was this painting trying to communicate a message of some kind to its viewers? What kind of feelings, if any, did the painting evoke within you? Was the Nihang Singh old, young, slim or fat? Did he look mysterious or enigmatic in any way? Did he appear charismatic in his countenance? Was it a very leafy, tall, fruit-bearing tree or was it just an ordinary tree? Did the tree look august in its appearance, as though it had been standing there for years and years? Was he sitting with a radio next to him with headphones on which made you think he was listening to classical music? Can you remember the make of the radio and the headphones so we can ascertain the exact date of this famous work? Let's assume for one minute that he was in fact listening to classical music, then the question arises, who was he listening to? Was he listening to Bach, Chopin, Vivaldi or just Mozart? Did the painting give you any hint as to the time of the day or not? Was this Nihang Singh sitting alone, did he have company or was he surrounded by many people but all strangers? Did he have a far away look in his eyes, as though he is day-dreaming? Were you able to see any birds' nests anywhere on the branches of this tree? If so,, what kind of birds were flying around, can you remember? Does the painting depict clear blue sky, sky with rainbow, sky with small grey clouds or just plain boring sky painted in one brush stroke with the sun missing altogether? I am totally puzzled as to which painting you are referring to? I wonder if it really exists?

Edited by pavitarsk

company painting of akalis on the march illustrating the saffronisation of our nation ....we wore basanti - yellow

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/454736

Beautiful painting when a Sikh looks at it. When I look at it I see racist features being portrayed by the artist, but knowing what our Sikh history is my imagination can easily make out what this painting really is depicting.

(Also still not the pic lol :()

I think i'll never find it

Beautiful painting when a Sikh looks at it. When I look at it I see racist features being portrayed by the artist, but knowing what our Sikh history is my imagination can easily make out what this painting really is depicting.

(Also still not the pic lol :()

I think i'll never find it

was it a colour painting or ink pen drawing? because I saw an ink study featured on a nihang site but couldn't make out detail of background fully:

(near Akali Phula Singh description)

http://www.<banned site filter activated>/movements/Nihangs/Nihangs.htm

No, I don't know which painting you are referring to. Besides, how do you know he was listening to classical music? Did the painting have a date and signature of the artist at the bottom? Can you describe the style, ambience, colours, mood, light, movement and general impression of this famous work of art a bit more? Was this painting trying to communicate a message of some kind to its viewers? What kind of feelings, if any, did the painting evoke within you? Was the Nihang Singh old, young, slim or fat? Did he look mysterious or enigmatic in any way? Did he appear charismatic in his countenance? Was it a very leafy, tall, fruit-bearing tree or was it just an ordinary tree? Did the tree look august in its appearance, as though it had been standing there for years and years? Was he sitting with a radio next to him with headphones on which made you think he was listening to classical music? Can you remember the make of the radio and the headphones so we can ascertain the exact date of this famous work? Let's assume for one minute that he was in fact listening to classical music, then the question arises, who was he listening to? Was he listening to Bach, Chopin, Vivaldi or just Mozart? Did the painting give you any hint as to the time of the day or not? Was this Nihang Singh sitting alone, did he have company or was he surrounded by many people but all strangers? Did he have a far away look in his eyes, as though he is day-dreaming? Were you able to see any birds' nests anywhere on the branches of this tree? If so,, what kind of birds were flying around, can you remember? Does the painting depict clear blue sky, sky with rainbow, sky with small grey clouds or just plain boring sky painted in one brush stroke with the sun missing altogether? I am totally puzzled as to which painting you are referring to? I wonder if it really exists?

!!

was it a colour painting or ink pen drawing? because I saw an ink study featured on a nihang site but couldn't make out detail of background fully:

(near Akali Phula Singh description)

http://www.<banned site filter activated>/movements/Nihangs/Nihangs.htm

I honestly probably have a skewed view of it right now, but can only remember that it was a Nihang Singh sitting with a company of people who were all listening to music under a tree and if my memory serves correctly there was a building in the background.

I think the art style and the type of ink they used was similar to this:

painting1.jpg