Daal Or Sabji?

believer

WJKK WJKF Sadh Sangat Ji,

whenever i go to the gurdwara and eat langar i have to choose between daal or sabji. I absolute hate daal (not of the gurdwara, but in general) and i always take the sabji, especially if its something with paneer, then ill go crazy. Also if there is daal made at home I eat something else. So somebody told me that daal is healthier than any sabji, and now im in a dilemma. Please tell me that mattar paneer is better for health then daal. :'(

I have the same taste in food as you lol... but unfortunately we put a lot of salt and oil in sabji's like matar panner so daal is healthier. My mom makes matar paneer and other sabji's with less salt and oil than the gurdwara but in most punjabi house holds, sabji's are very fatty and unhealthy.

Daal is the healthier than mattar paneer though mattar panner is my favourite...When i go to the guruduwar i usual take the daal most of the time..I like eating simple food more than rich food like mattar paneer even though it is delicious at the guruduwara...

Both are good. Daal is very good, that's why our ancestors until now ate just daal with roti. The most healthy food, that's why they were strong built.

Legumes and Nutrition Legumes provide a range of essential nutrients including protein, low glycemic (GI) carbohydrates, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins. They are: An economical dietary source of good quality protein and are higher in protein than most other plant foods. Legumes have about twice the protein content of cereal grains. Generally low in fat, virtually free of saturated fats and contain no cholesterol. Soybeans and peanuts are the exception, with significant levels of mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, including alpha-linolenic acid. Rich in energy-giving carbohydrates, with a low GI rating for blood glucose control. A good source of B-group vitamins (especially folate), iron, zinc, calcium and magnesium. Low in sodium sodium content of canned legumes can be reduced by up to 41% if the product is drained and rinsed. Abundant in fibre, including both insoluble and soluble fibre, plus resistant starch for colonic health benefits. Rich in phytonutrients (e.g. isoflavones, lignans, protease inhibitors). Soy beans are particularly high in phytoestrogens, with research over the last 20 years linking soy foods and/or phytoestrogens to a reduced risk of certain cancers including breast and prostate cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis and problems associated with menopause Gluten free as such, legumes are suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Legumes contain relatively low quantities of the essential amino acid methionine (which is found in higher amounts in grains). Grains, on the other hand, contain relatively low quantities of the essential amino acid lysine, which legumes contain. This is why some vegetarian cultures in order to get a good balance of amino acids needed for growth and repair combine their diet of legumes with cereal grains. Common examples of such combinations are dhal with rice in India, beans with corn tortillas in Mexico, tofu with rice in Asia and peanut butter with bread in the US and Australia.

Daal AND sabji. I have it all and can't remember there ever having been something in langar I didn't like (with the exception of the onion achar that people keep having these days - it's the most pointless achar ever). Honestly I think our Sikh diet (sabjis and daals) is the greatest, strength-building healthiest diet in the world as long as you combine it with our traditional hard work ethic (or....if you can't work on the farm, regular exercise at the gym). Without the hard physical work however.....it's an unhealthy killer

Daal, anytime over sabzi. Mahan di daal slow cooked, so its thick and with makhni ontop - luxury!

Its called daal makhani if I am not wrong.. :)

I like all daals including Choleyaan di daal, mahaan di daal, masari sabat, moongi, moth etc..

Daals are protein-rich and the outer skin contain vitamin B1,2,3 etc...