How can I get taller?

Singh97

My parents have been lecturing me a lot lately on my height, I don't really mind my height (I turn 16 in 3 months and I'm 5 foot 8 and male). I think they're concerned because my brother's 12 and almost my height, and I'm also the shortest in my family. Is there anything I can do?

Well it depends on your genes. Take a look at your family and you'll get an idea of how tall you could get. You should eat as much as you can and eat healthy food with lots of vitamins and minerals, wholemeal bread/pasta, fruits, milk stuff like that. Get lots of sleep, your body grows and regenerates tissue while you sleep. Do lots of exercise (running etc).

Helpful info here: http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Taller

Strength training (weights) will not stunt your growth. Your height is genetically determined and diet plays only a minor role (extremes of diet can affect height eg childhood chronic malnutrition). Humans follow a fairly distinct model of growth. Basically look at a string of men or women through different generations in a family. Most children will be a similar height or taller than their same sex parent. This is until a zenith occurs and then you see a child who grows up to be quite somewhat smaller than the same sex parent a generation later. Hence our heights across generations tend to remain modal.

Strength training (weights) will not stunt your growth.

Actually weight lifting that causes spinal compression can stunt the growth in some individuals to some extent!!!

This is not just a myth, but it has been proven !

Anyway, you don't do any powerlifting but do more cardio sports-which is real good !

I mentioned how spinal compression can affect some people and in the same way the opposite which is spinal elongation can also help.

This involves keeping and maintaining your upright posture and avoiding slouching etc..

As well as looking attentive, this has many other health benefits, in fact I can't think of any detrimental outcomes of such practice.

Yoga itself is very focused on this with breathing.

Also, look at ballerinas that started at an early age, they are usually quite tall.

If you need help with posture and upright maintenance, then kinesiologist can help by taping your back. -What happens is that as soon as you pull or curl into a position you shouldn't be, then you feel the tape pull on your skin.

I have actually tried this and it works very well.

At the end of the day, there is no magic factor that one can focus on since genetics plays a large part. But if you put that aside and would like to try and add half an inch or so, then some elongation isn't going to cause any negative outcome !!!

PS. I focused a lot on extension and posture techniques when young and I ended up being the tallest in my family at over 6'3''

Good luck!

Thanks for the answer. How old were you when you started poster techniques?

I was about 14 or so !

But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean it will work for every one. I can't say that it was controlling posture techniques that was a single factor, but obviously it can do no harm and is good practice for your general health.

Therefore, may be it helped or maybe it didn't, but it didn't do the opposite and it can't !!

If you sit cross-legged on the floor, then watch some yoga videos where it tells you how to sit upright.

The most obvious one that we all fall as victims for, is sitting on couches all slouched or comfy cushioned chairs.

The idea is to keep your spine elongated and extended with all movement- NOTE- all movement is every movement since we use our spine for everything !!- except when sleeping!

For people that have difficulty adjusting whilst sitting, they recommend a big yoga ball. When you sit on this, you just cannot slouch because of the whole steadiness and kinetics.

I was about 14 or so !

But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean it will work for every one. I can't say that it was controlling posture techniques that was a single factor, but obviously it can do no harm and is good practice for your general health.

Therefore, may be it helped or maybe it didn't, but it didn't do the opposite and it can't !!

If you sit cross-legged on the floor, then watch some yoga videos where it tells you how to sit upright.

The most obvious one that we all fall as victims for, is sitting on couches all slouched or comfy cushioned chairs.

The idea is to keep your spine elongated and extended with all movement- NOTE- all movement is every movement since we use our spine for everything !!- except when sleeping!

For people that have difficulty adjusting whilst sitting, they recommend a big yoga ball. When you sit on this, you just cannot slouch because of the whole steadiness and kinetics.

I agree with you completely. I'm going to try it because it might help with height but even if it doesn't it'll be great for general health. I'm 15 right now (turning 16 in August) so I guess it's worth a try.