• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Singh97

How can I get taller?

26 posts in this topic

My parents have been lecturing me a lot lately on my height, I don't really mind my height (I turn 16 in 3 months and I'm 5 foot 8 and male). I think they're concerned because my brother's 12 and almost my height, and I'm also the shortest in my family. Is there anything I can do?

Well it depends on your genes. Take a look at your family and you'll get an idea of how tall you could get. You should eat as much as you can and eat healthy food with lots of vitamins and minerals, wholemeal bread/pasta, fruits, milk stuff like that. Get lots of sleep, your body grows and regenerates tissue while you sleep. Do lots of exercise (running etc).

Helpful info here: http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Taller

Edited by TheFancyBanana

Do you lift weights or powerlift ???

This can stunt your growth !!

1 person likes this

Do you lift weights or powerlift ???

This can stunt your growth !!

I'm more of a runner and rugby/soccer player. I don't think sports could have stunted it.

Strength training (weights) will not stunt your growth. Your height is genetically determined and diet plays only a minor role (extremes of diet can affect height eg childhood chronic malnutrition). Humans follow a fairly distinct model of growth. Basically look at a string of men or women through different generations in a family. Most children will be a similar height or taller than their same sex parent. This is until a zenith occurs and then you see a child who grows up to be quite somewhat smaller than the same sex parent a generation later. Hence our heights across generations tend to remain modal.

Strength training (weights) will not stunt your growth.

Actually weight lifting that causes spinal compression can stunt the growth in some individuals to some extent!!!

This is not just a myth, but it has been proven !

Anyway, you don't do any powerlifting but do more cardio sports-which is real good !

I mentioned how spinal compression can affect some people and in the same way the opposite which is spinal elongation can also help.

This involves keeping and maintaining your upright posture and avoiding slouching etc..

As well as looking attentive, this has many other health benefits, in fact I can't think of any detrimental outcomes of such practice.

Yoga itself is very focused on this with breathing.

Also, look at ballerinas that started at an early age, they are usually quite tall.

If you need help with posture and upright maintenance, then kinesiologist can help by taping your back. -What happens is that as soon as you pull or curl into a position you shouldn't be, then you feel the tape pull on your skin.

I have actually tried this and it works very well.

At the end of the day, there is no magic factor that one can focus on since genetics plays a large part. But if you put that aside and would like to try and add half an inch or so, then some elongation isn't going to cause any negative outcome !!!

PS. I focused a lot on extension and posture techniques when young and I ended up being the tallest in my family at over 6'3''

Good luck!

PS. I focused a lot on extension and posture techniques when young and I ended up being the tallest in my family at over 6'3''

Thanks for the answer. How old were you when you started poster techniques?

Edited by simranpreetsingh

Thanks for the answer. How old were you when you started poster techniques?

I was about 14 or so !

But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean it will work for every one. I can't say that it was controlling posture techniques that was a single factor, but obviously it can do no harm and is good practice for your general health.

Therefore, may be it helped or maybe it didn't, but it didn't do the opposite and it can't !!

If you sit cross-legged on the floor, then watch some yoga videos where it tells you how to sit upright.

The most obvious one that we all fall as victims for, is sitting on couches all slouched or comfy cushioned chairs.

The idea is to keep your spine elongated and extended with all movement- NOTE- all movement is every movement since we use our spine for everything !!- except when sleeping!

For people that have difficulty adjusting whilst sitting, they recommend a big yoga ball. When you sit on this, you just cannot slouch because of the whole steadiness and kinetics.

Height is not just genetic, the ratio varies by ethnicity and there are both extremes.

I think nords were 90% genetics (i.e 90% of a height above average would be due to genetics) while african pygmies were only 60% genetic.

Keep in mind, they have a very different average height.

Getting enough nutrients, and also getting protein will help as it will raise testosterone levels.

-

Also, jangal da that is not true what you said about the same; many european nations experienced a 6 inch or more increase in average male height (esp.) after developing and having better food.

A perfect example for today, is south koreans who have parents who were poor and on average below 5 6 grow to be 5 10 - 6 ft. in Canada simply due to better nutrition.

3 people like this

I was about 14 or so !

But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean it will work for every one. I can't say that it was controlling posture techniques that was a single factor, but obviously it can do no harm and is good practice for your general health.

Therefore, may be it helped or maybe it didn't, but it didn't do the opposite and it can't !!

If you sit cross-legged on the floor, then watch some yoga videos where it tells you how to sit upright.

The most obvious one that we all fall as victims for, is sitting on couches all slouched or comfy cushioned chairs.

The idea is to keep your spine elongated and extended with all movement- NOTE- all movement is every movement since we use our spine for everything !!- except when sleeping!

For people that have difficulty adjusting whilst sitting, they recommend a big yoga ball. When you sit on this, you just cannot slouch because of the whole steadiness and kinetics.

I agree with you completely. I'm going to try it because it might help with height but even if it doesn't it'll be great for general health. I'm 15 right now (turning 16 in August) so I guess it's worth a try.

5 ft 8" is fine. when i saw the heading of this topic i was thinking you was going to say you were 4 ft 11" or something.

Is this topic another reason why Sikh heritage is vanishing ?

@ simranpreetsingh - Don't worry about your height if you're still around 15 or 16 years of age. I was around 5 ft 8 from the age of 12 to 15, but shot up to 6 ft 3 by the time I was 18. I stopped growing at 23 (I think) so there's a lot of time! Go all out on the milk, yogurt, etc., if you're a vegetarian. Although I haven't any empirical proof I'm sure it doesn't hurt your chances.

2 people like this

Height is not just genetic, the ratio varies by ethnicity and there are both extremes.

Also, jangal da that is not true what you said about the same; many european nations experienced a 6 inch or more increase in average male height (esp.) after developing and having better food.

A perfect example for today, is south koreans who have parents who were poor and on average below 5 6 grow to be 5 10 - 6 ft. in Canada simply due to better nutrition.

You are correct in terms of a better standard of living in the last century has boosted the heights of some people - specifically the Dutch who ethnically are amongst the tallest in the Western world now. However this is by virtue of their genetic potential that has been optomised with good nutrition, less childhood disease exposure and less childhood stress.

I had a feeling that you would give a quote that proves the contrary and there are many of these out there !!

However, let me just explain what I am specifically talking about.-

It's not bicep curls or chest pressing but just one thing in particular which is Overhead Powerlifting !

This overhead lifting causes spinal compression when too much weight is lifted, but how is a power lifter going to improve if they don't attempt weights that they can just about manage ??

---This is where the problem arises. Now the studies and data all show that if overhead lifting is done properly in full form then there is no problem.-this I agree with !

But when you start upping your weights then you will come to a point of ''max', at this stage you won't be in proper form and there will be damage done to the spinal growth plates.

NOTE- it has nothing to due with affecting growth hormone or other pituitary inbalances

We have had many young teens that only focused on lifting overhead weights and power lifting for competitions and it is these kinds that help spread the myths of weight lifting stunting growth.

Maybe my comment came across a little incorrect in terms of weight lifting in general as I did have this particular movement in mind when stating.

Edited by luckysingh99

Strength training (weights) will not stunt your growth. Your height is genetically determined and diet plays only a minor role (extremes of diet can affect height eg childhood chronic malnutrition). Humans follow a fairly distinct model of growth. Basically look at a string of men or women through different generations in a family. Most children will be a similar height or taller than their same sex parent. This is until a zenith occurs and then you see a child who grows up to be quite somewhat smaller than the same sex parent a generation later. Hence our heights across generations tend to remain modal.

Not fully true , Average Dutch man was measured at 5-4.5 inches tall in 1830 s, now they are on an average 6 feet 1 inches tall. Japanese are on average much taller than there grand parents.of second world war.There are plenty of countries in world where people are much taller what they were in 80-90 years ago.

I had a feeling that you would give a quote that proves the contrary and there are many of these

I agree with your points. Maxing out weights is not for kids, nor are exercises where axial compressive forces could damage the spine. I would not let my kids do that.

1 person likes this

I'm vegetarian, does that affect anything?

I wouldn't think so. Like I said I'm vege and not eating meat, eggs, etc., hasn't stunted my growth.

As long as vegetarian doesn't mean killing the chips and pizza, because that isn't going to help anyone! Get some fresh fruit and veg into your diet, as well as the aforementioned milk and yogurt if you're not suffering from any dairy allergies. Some consistent exercise might be beneficial. I've always found the more svelte somebody is the taller they look; the more rounder they are the closer to the ground they appear, lol.

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry too much about height. It's a shame your parents have raised this issue, and you've been made to feel inadequate. Don't worry about it. There's no lack of short girls in the Sikh quom so you aren't going to be left on the shelf when it comes to marriage!

Edited by VanHelsingh
2 people like this

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry too much about height. It's a shame your parents have raised this issue, and you've been made to feel inadequate. Don't worry about it. There's no lack of short girls in the Sikh quom so you aren't going to be left on the shelf when it comes to marriage!

lol marriage was what they were concerned about, for the past few weeks all they've been saying is " tainu rishta nahi labna". I feel fine at this height, but they want me to be at least 6 feet.

Edited by simranpreetsingh
2 people like this

lol marriage was what they were concerned about, for the past few weeks all they've been saying is " tainu rishta nahi labna". I feel fine at this height, but they want me to be at least 6 feet.

I sensed a disturbance in the force, lol.

Honestly, I know they're your parents but they really shouldn't be forcing you to GROW a few inches. :biggrin2: You will get a rishta no matter what. It's just scare-mongering. Like you said they're probably freaked out about your younger brother going through a growth spurt.

1 person likes this

Wow, are all Punjabi parents the same?

The sad thing is parents of white kids would never make their offspring feel low about something as superficial as height. It's all about empowering the child to be confident in their own skin. Our lot can accumulate huge houses and cars, but the mindset is still stuck in 1950s Panjab.

Edited by VanHelsingh
1 person likes this

The sad thing is parents of white kids would never make their offspring feel low about something as superficial as height. It's all about empowering the child to be confident in their own skin. Our lot can accumulate huge houses and cars, but the mindset is still stuck in 1950s Panjab.

I agree completely lol

welcome friends

in the past if you asked me about growing taller for a human body i will tell you it's a genetic but now i have a lot of information about this subject .

so to grow taller today you have a lot of to do

Firstly you need to avoid growth-stunting factors .

Now let us discuss about the growth-stunting factors.

1 - Drink alcohol

1- The caffeine

secondly sleeping is one best way that will make you taller so just follow these steps for your dream and get your perfect tall .

you should eat the right food that you can find it in our blog

This step is one of important steps as i told the right food the : right body so you need to eat grow taller food you can find it in our blog these foods will give you

- calcium , carbohydrates and calories ,500 mg of niacin , vitamin D,protein,zinc,