ZP Poll: Akal Takht chief’s daughter-in-law in fray

Pehlvan

..........starting to reap the benefits of giving the biggest traitor of Sikhs in recent history the 'fakkhar-e-kaum' award and also for staying silent over the inaction over Jaspal Singh's shaheedi. A blatant conflict of interest.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2013/20130506/punjab.htm#8

ZP POLL
ZP Poll: Akal Takht chief’s daughter-in-law in fray
Archit Watts
Tribune News Service

Muktsar, May 5
pb14.jpgThe daughter-in-law of Akal Takht chief, Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh, will contest the Zila Parishad poll on the SAD ticket from Harike Kalan in Muktsar district.

Lakhvir Kaur, 35, wife of the Jathedar’s elder son, Manjinder Singh Bittu, will file her nomination papers at the Sub-Divisinal Magistrate’s (SDM) office here tomorrow.

Talking to The Tribune, Manjinder Singh, sarpanch of Chak Baja Marar village and chief of SAD’s Muktsar circle (rural), said the Harike Kalan zone, comprising 26 villages, was reserved for women.

The Congress has yet to decide on a candidate against Lakhvir Kaur. Sources in the Congress said the party was planning to field somebody from a high-profile family to give her a tough fight.

Lakhvir Kaur said: “I belong to a simple family of Balochkera village in Lambi. My father retired as Inspector with Punjab Roadways. Though politics is not in my blood, I have strong desire to serve the people. I have learnt the basics of politics from mr husband.”

Lakhvir Kaur said she would address a gathering at a private resort near the District Administrative Complex tomorrow and thereafter file her papers.

The SAD has fielded Malout legislator Harpreet Singh’s wife Avneet Kaur from Malout village zone.

Gurcharan Singh, chairman, Market Committee, Malout, Basant Singh Kang and a large number of Akali leaders offered a siropa to Avneet Kaur and announced her candidature today.

State Congress spokesperson Sukhpal Singh Khaira today asked the Akal Takht chief, Giani Gurbachan Singh, to step down as his daughter-in-law Lakhvir Kaur was contesting zila parishad elections on the SAD symbol from Muktsar’s Harike Kalan zone. “The Jathedar has clearly associated himself with the SAD. By doing so, he has compromised his position as the Pope of the Sikhs,” he said.

He said with his son Manjinder Singh Bittu appointed SAD’s Muktsar circle (rural) president, “the Jathedar has ceased to be a neutral and impartial figure. To uphold the dignity and sanctity of his seat, he must quit immediately,” Khaira said.

Patiala: The SAD-BJP alliance on Monday announced the first list of candidates for the Zila Parishad elections. Of the total 21 seats, 10 are in the general category, five reserved for women, two for SC (women) and four for SC candidates.The alliance announced candidates for 17 seats.

Rural Development and Panchayats Minister Surjit Singh Rakhra said for the two Rajpura seats (allotted to the BJP) and the Samana and Shutrana seats, candidates would be announced shortly.

He was never made Jathedar by the Khalsa Panth, he was hand picked by Badal because he knew he would stay quiet on Panthic issues and faithfully serve the interests of Badal Dal.

His silence has been deafening and now we are seeing exactly why....his son and daughter in law have got positions in SAD while the Panthic issues are standing still.

Next time he comes abroad, instead of giving him a siropa for selling out his nation, he needs to be questioned firmly.