Caste Discrimination debate sikh channel

sat

Did Anyone watch that farce on sikh channel last night, should have been a fair debate about this law the goverment, wants to bring regarding so called caste discrimination, was mostly ravidassias having a rant.

So wheres the discrimination, are they starving or are the living on the streets, dont have jobs, or is it they dont get medical treatment are there lives in danger ?, And as usual Sikhs were under represented, i think there was only a few and they didnt say much,.

What a load of nonsense , what caste discrimination?, these so called low castes, have good jobs , businesses, nice homes, money (wealth) , have opened there own places of worship, eat well, a good life same as any one else, so what are they bleeting on about, if they were in india they would have known what caste discrimination is, even there it is less than what it was! stop this nonsense , or you will end up labeling your selves forever, the caste system is finishing anyway.

when they say it is happening at Gurdwara's that i find hard to believe, it does not say on my forehead what caste i am and i have never been asked. Not that i have allegiance to any now, i have taken khande de pahul :biggrin2:

The other point i have is people keep going on about no caste in sikhi, but the same ones who bang on about this dont want to follow what our Guru's have said, Take Amrit and keep rehat !!

Rehni Rahe Soi Sikh Mera, O Thakur Me Uska Chera

Rehat Bina Nahi Sikh Akhawe Rehat Bina Dar Chotan Khawe

Rehat Bina Sukh Kabhoon Naa Lahe, Taan Te Rehat Su Drid Kar Rahe

So stop bringing Sikhi and our Gurdwara's into it, until you become Sikhs!!. and then we wont be having this debate because our father will be Dashmesh pita / SGGS ji Maharaj :respect: . Until then maharaj say Dar chotan khawe.

If we are not careful we are gonna end up getting a reputation like the muslims in this country as always demanding this and that or worse!

We live in a descent country and should be grateful to Waheguru ji for giving us so much because we have done nothing to deserve anything!

It's all because of his grace and kindness , but still people are not satisfied, might not be so lucky next time around!

Debate was very poor from a Sikh perspective.

Dr Rai misjudged situation and some Sikhs that came across as supporting him were not convincing.

Need better Sikh representation and better managed debates.

Negative parchar about SIKHS on Sikh Channel was not good.

On a point of principle - Caste is an issue for Hindus and NOT Sikhs.

Lord Indarjit Singh has written the following today on another forum:

A DELIBERATE DISTORTION OF THE GURUS TEACHINGS

I am saddened and at a loss to understand why Dr Jasdev Singh Rai goes around trying to muddy the waters of clear Sikh teachings. I am even more saddened that some of our gurdwaras and Sikh television aid and abet him in this by giving him a platform to do so.

It has been some years since I was making real progress with Bernard Stassi the right hand man of President Chirac of France to secure an exemption from the then proposed banning of headgear in state schools. He was impressed with the sacrifice of Guru Teg Bahadhur in defending freedom of belief. He accepted my explanation that the Sikh turban was an essential part of Sikh identity and stood for a commitment to uphold freedom of belief, even for those who chose a secular path. Then Dr Rai appeared on the scene and argued that the turban was only a cultural head covering.

One can be charitable and argue that that he genuinely misunderstood the importance of a symbol of Sikh identity, but a few years later he caused further concern about his motives. It was at a function organised by the Department of Communities and Local Government for which we were asked to provide literature about the Sikh faith He declared his inability to do this because he had to get agreement of certain groups in India. On another occasion when a Sikh lady asked for non-halal food at a Basakhi function, Dr Rai advised her to be more accommodating.

On Wednesday night he was inexplicably provided a platform on Sikh TV to oppose government legislation banning discrimination on grounds of caste. He then launched into pseudo social science gibberish about ‘caste’ being an invention of the British. Has this learned doctor never read the Guru Granth Sahib written centuries before British arrival in India? Is he unaware of numerous gurbani quotations like ‘ask not a persons caste but look to the inner light within’, or the Guru reminding us that the evil of caste in Hindu society was so strong that even the shadow of a lower caste was said to pollute the food of a person of higher caste.

Sikh teachings remind us about how we should treat others and condemn caste and other forms of discrimination. The law in Britain seeks to do the same and all who call themselves Sikhs should support it. Unfortunately, some naively argue that legislation is not necessary, and caste discrimination will go away simply by talking about it. Precisely the same arguments were used again and again against legislation to prohibit discrimination against colour or national origin but it continued unabated until the passing of the 1976 Race Relations Act.

Sadly there are also some who call themselves Sikhs, who seek to preserve the remnants of caste that despite the Gurus teachings still linger in Sikh society. Jasvinder Singh Nagra, a close ally of Dr Rai, absurdly urges Sikhs to join a petition opposing the proposed law banning discrimination on grounds of caste because different jattis in Luton Gurdwara ‘get on with each other’.

We are now gearing up to the celebration of Baisakhi when Guru Gobind Singh finally freed Sikhs from the shackles of caste like distinctions. Shame on those who wish to hang on to them. To Dr Rai and his supporters I ask why? To those who accept the message of Baisakhi I say beware of those who deliberately distort Sikh teachings.

Indarjit Singh

(Lord Singh of Wimbledon)

unfortunately its these old guys who are causing the problems, they were brought up in post colonial india, have had an education and waffle on trying to use big words to impress the host community (who dont understand what they are on about), and end up doing more harm than good.

These so called low castes are more discriminatory towards the so called higher castes in britian today every other word they use is jat this jat that, and jats are saying nothing just getting on with everday life, and the garbage the other night about kids asking kids in playgrounds whats your caste, so what are these fools now gonna start taking kids to court in the future.

Basically if this legislation does come in, we can all expect to start ticking boxes on forms in the future, it will end up being like india, because now officially these people will be bringing caste in to the UK and the next thing the host population wiil know that certain ones are deemed low caste and then they may even start

discriminating against these people, what a joke, leave it alone it will be dead in a another 20-30 years, it has already changed alot !!

We should not be doing our dirty washing in public, giving the host community more info to use against us in the future, remember there policy divide and rule !! This is the labour party trying to win votes to get back in and our channels trying to get more support (money).

That does sounf far-fetched.

Thats the reason Opinderjit Kaur Takhar gave as why we should have this law, kids in this country know nothing about caste, why should they, it does not bother me what caste a person is as long as they are sensible law abiding citizens. In india yes there is discrimination and its wrong but not here. this woman is trying to build a name for herself, she reckons she is a dr of religious studies, didnt know Maharaj ji was giving out qualifications in sikhi ! Good if she wants to help dalits then go to india and take that raj rattu with her. He was the one who stood up and said to the camera we wont stand for it any longer, dont see him being persecuted in any way, these people are whipping up non existent caste tensions !! get on the first plane to india and help the dalits there they need it!!

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=22697

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/raj-rattu/29/409/312