SADA HAQ MOVIE BANNED AGIAN

Gurkukar

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Punjab/Amritsar/Made-mistake-by-supporting-Sadda-Haq-SGPC-backs-ban/SP-Article1-1039416.aspx

Made mistake by supporting 'Sadda Haq': SGPC backs ban

HT Correspondent
Amritsar, April 08, 2013

A day after the makers of 'Sadda Haq' approached the Akal Takht to press for lifting of the ban on the controversial Punjabi movie, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Avtar Singh Makkar finally chose to come out in support of the ban.
Backtracking from the SGPC's earlier stance, Makkar said the religious body - which is helmed by Punjab's ruling party, the Badal-led Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) -- had "committed a mistake" by endorsing the movie after the initial rejection by the Censor Board of Film Certification (CBFC).

Talking to the media here on Monday, Makkar said the Punjab government as well as the other states "were well within their rights in imposing the ban as they felt that the movie could threaten communal harmony and peace". "In Punjab, everyone knows at what cost peace has come back."

When asked about the 'clearance' given to the Kuljinder Sidhu-helmed movie by a five-member SGPC screening panel, Makkar replied, "In future we will take precautions while giving our opinion on any film dealing with controversial subjects related to the Sikh community. I acknowledge that we made a mistake by giving a letter of support for its release to the
makers."

Seeking to consolidate his argument, Makkar pointed out that 'Sadda Haq' was not an isolated example of a movie being banned by state governments even after being cleared by the censor board, and cited 'Vishwaroopam' that had been banned by the Tamil Nadu government due to alleged negative portrayal of Mulsims. That movie had been released only after massive cuts.

"State governments view matters from a different angle, in the larger interest of all," Makkar added.

Now, the appeal by the makers seeking the intervention of the Sikh clergy is not likely to be heard -- the Akal Takht jathedar as well as the jathedars of Takht Kesgarh Sahib and Takht Damdama Sahib are appointees of the SGPC.

The makers had claimed on Sunday that they had presented a memorandum to Akal Takht jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh, who he had assured to take up their appeal in the next meeting of the five Sikh High Priests.

The makers of the film now have only a handful of radicals to support them. None of the political parties of Punjab, including the Congress, has come out in their favour.

Makkar did not only backtrack but made some uncalled for remarks about the co-producer. But only a few days ago he presented siropa and other mementos and honored him, as can be seen on some of the videos posted on this very thread.

Sgpc head should be panthic not someone like Makkar who can give statements whatever you like when someone presents some cash..

There are more able people around but I guess don't won't be beneficiary to some political leaders..

What a shame for the Sikh Panth. Religious institutions are being run for political gains..

I guess somehow if we can get North American media , like Toronto Start or Vancouver sun to do a story on it , that will create some awareness

The other avenue I think which SH team has already approached is legal process - move the courts to invalidate the ban.

On an unrelated note - No panthic singh ever used a castist last name - but Mr 'Makkar' I guess is too proud of his caste to let it go ....

Picture da MOTTO bilkul SAHI HAI - REVOLUTION BEGINS 05th April.

Dhokebaaj te Shararati apne andar hi bethe han, pehle vi te hun vi, Hindu-Sikh da koi masla hi nahin ...

Hun taan DSGMC te vi Badal da Kabja hai, 5 saal tak hun DSGMC hun changa chuna laange Badal te Makkar Sahab ...

SARNA had an open alliance with Congress, was open and known to everybody, No Dhoka. Dhoka tad hunda jad jinna nun apna samjho oh peeth ch chura bhokan. Makkar Sahab nein Sikh kaum di peeth ch Zehrila Chura bhokeyan hai, Vaheguru Makkar Sahab nun Chardi Kala ch rakhe ...

Doesn't SGPC have funds that could qualify to be put in the Swiss Bank? If they're openly supporting the movie, why can't they use those funds to (a.) just buy the movie rights from the producer(s) and distributor(s), (b.) pay a fat lump sum amount to the big cinema halls across Punjab and have them screen the movie, (c.) pay for private and armed security guards outside each of these halls (I am sure scores of Singhs would volunteer for this and not take a penny).

Sorry for giving that advise and for trusting those masands a little bit.

Problem is, sadde aaguaan di neeyat hi haraamkhor aa. Nahi te kee majaal eh kutteyaan di sena di jo is tra di film nu ban karva den. Look guys, the Shiv Sena is doing their job, they're clear who/what they are and what exactly they want. Problem is Sikh leadership. The same Badals have no problem giving siropa to the families of Shaheeds, and now the same people are banning movies on those Shaheeds? This is called double-standards! An honest enemy is much better than an ally who changes colors like a chameleon. Shiv Sena is a small threat, because we know what they are made of, and so we know how to watch out. The real danger is within our own lot who choose to side with us when it benefits them, and then when times change they ask us to shut up because they see their own position in danger.

I guess even someone as stupid as myself could figure out their true colors.