Can somebody please explain to me what this means in the Sukhmani Sahib?

I have a question. Basically I started reading an edition of
the ‘Sukhmani Sahib’. I believe it’s the 2002 edition that was edited by an
Indian author named Harbans Singh Doabia. It contains the original Gurumukhi
script and roman textures and also features an English translation. I was
reading the ‘preface’ which is at the beginning of the book and gives a slight
introduction; however I came across a piece of text which I found quite
intriguing.

This is the text quoted “The Sukhmani Sahib does confer peace and all Divine Gifts on the
sincere devotee by his constant worship, remembrance and repetition of the name
etc. This name is ‘Waheguru’ as ordained by the Satgurus. Sincere prayers and
following the ways shown in the sacred Gurbani will enable the sincere devotee
to come in contact with the ‘WORD’ (which is unbounded and cannot be written in
back and white and which possesses all the virtues and powers of God).”

That was the text I didn’t quite understand. It also went on
to say “It is submitted that the ‘Shabad or Word’ has been described in various
ways by the Gurbani. For instance it is mentioned as ‘Naunidh Naam’ (Ambrosial
Divine Name, see Astpadi 23-i). We have to discover and see the divine within
us, as ordered by the Satgurus. This subject will be dealt with in some details
somewhere else.

My question is what is this ‘WORD’ referring to? Or even
more what is this ‘WORD’? I was thinking maybe it was referring to the name
‘Waheguru’ at first but that’s not possible since it already mentioned
‘Waheguru’ several times. Is this ‘WORD’ actually mentioned somewhere or does
the individual just come to the realisation of it? What intrigued me the most
perhaps was when it mentioned “possess all the virtues and powers of God”. At
this point I was thinking maybe it’s not referring to a word but maybe a being,
a ritual, God itself, another name of God.

Anyone who is educated in this topic and knows a lot, please
answer this question for me and give a good explanation. I would love reading
the answer behind this.

The 'WORD" being discussed above is the shabad Guru. !!!

The 'WORD" of gurbani itslef is the GURU.

This is why the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the GURU.

THe shabad or WORD is the WORD of GOD that was written by the Gurus and bhagats.

GOD himself gave this WORD via these contributers.

deendi

So when you read a tuk of a shabad or any gurbani then all of his is infact the WORD that is uttered by GOD himself.

GURU can mean teacher,master,prophet...etc... but in the case of Shabad Guru or 'bani guru, gur hai bani', then GURU means=GOD.

NOTE- i have noticed that in bani when GURU is written with 2 matras ie. ਗੁਰੂ then it refers to Akaal Purakh. Because GUR(U) is written as ਗੁਰੂ, or ਗੁਰੁ or ਗੁਰ, depending on what the reference and context is.

When asked about God at Orange County, California, sympathetically he replied, You cant say its reality. You certainly cant say its a fiction because something exists. That something needs to be experimented. Nothing can be said about God. You can study about God but nothing has been known because all you know is from the outside, what we would call external. Until you enter from within, the internal cant be known. By studying about God, you will miss the whole concept and the consequence to that is that you are left with knowledge only. To know is to enter the kingdom, to become one with eternity. Knowledge is from the outside and has nothing what so ever to do with God. Because God is happening.

Nothing is hidden from God because God is the inside of everything. The inside knows all. You can hide something from others, but you cant hide it from yourself. And it is there that God is hidden.

He went on to say Why have we invented so many names for God? There must be a certain reason, because God cannot be named, a name can easily be changed, but God remains the same. So why has God been addressed? Because there are moments when you would like to scream out your inner feelings to God in sheer joy. Some name is needed. Muslim Sufis invented ninety-nine names of God that are so beautiful, but why not a hundred? Ninety-nine looks a bit incomplete. There is a certain reason the hundredth name is kept silent and that is the true name of God, which of course cant be uttered. That is why Guru Nanak said Satnam. Your name is thee truth. But in reality you cant utter it because it will lose its beauty. It remains un-uttered at the deepest core of the heart. What is Gods true name? Nobody knows that all the names are mans creation. The true name of God is the existence that surrounds you.

How can one call Him by all His names? The wise give him names according to His manifestations Jap Sahib, Guru Gobind Singh Ji He goes on saying. those kind (the irreligious) of people havent known anything of spiritual experience. Theyve never felt any presence of God. The only way to receive God is to drop all your searching and seeking. The real question is recognition, not search, and the only way to know God is to live God.

:)

I believe the Word being referred to in this context is the Anhad Shabad, Anhad Naad, Shej Dhun, Anhad Toor as it is called in Gurbani which manifests itself the more simran you do, and the deeper you go within, as your mind becomes still and silent. It cannot be written down because it a collection of internally heard very subtle sounds.

Here is simple quotes from SGGS on Ang 656 of Bhagat Kabir ji & Bhagat Naam Dev Ji's bani that I came across which is applicable.

Bhagat Kabir Ji:

Why not chant the Lord's Name in your heart, when you are still young?
hi
radhai raam kee n japehi savaeraa ||3||9||

O Saints, my windy mind has now become peaceful and still.
sa(n)thahu man pavanai sukh baniaa ||

It seems that I have learned something of the science of Yoga. ||Pause||

kishh jog paraapath ganiaa || rehaao ||

The Guru has shown me the hole,

gur dhikhalaaee moree||

through which the deer carefully enters.
jith mirag parrath hai choree||

I have now closed off the doors,

moo(n)dh leeeae dharavaajae||

and the unstruck celestial sound current resounds. ||1||
baajeealae anehadh baajae ||1||

The pitcher of my heart-lotus is filled with water;

ku(n)bh kamal jal bhariaa ||

I have spilled out the water, and set it upright.

jal maettiaa oobhaa kariaa ||

Says Kabeer, the Lord's humble servant, this I know.

kahu kabeer jan jaaniaa ||

Bhagat Naam Dev JI:

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

When I see Him, I sing His Praises.

jab daykhaa tab gaavaa.

Then I, his humble servant, become patient.

ta-o jan Dheeraj paavaa.

Meeting the Divine True Guru, I merge into the sound current of the Naad. ||1||Pause||

naad samaa-ilo ray satgur bhaytilay dayvaa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Where the dazzling white light is seen,

jah jhil mil kaar disantaa.

there the unstruck sound current of the Shabad resounds.

tah anhad sabad bajantaa.

One`s light merges in the Light;

jotee jot samaanee.

by Guru`s Grace, I know this.

mai gur parsaadee jaanee.

The jewels are in the treasure chamber of the heart-lotus.

ratan kamal kothree.

They sparkle and glitter like lightning.

chamkaar beejul tahee.

The Lord is near at hand, not far away.

nayrai naahee door.

He is totally permeating and pervading in my soul.
nij aatmai rahi-aa bharpoor.

Where the light of the undying sun shines,

jah anhat soor uj-yaaraa.

the light of burning lamps seems insignificant.

tah deepak jalai chhanchhaaraa.

By Guru`s Grace, I know this.

gur parsaadee jaani-aa.

Servant Naam Dayv is absorbed in the Celestial Lord.

jan naamaa sahj samaani-aa.