How do I get my sister interested in Sikhi?

Guest NeedSomeAdvice

Guest NeedSomeAdvice

WGJKK WGJKF!

Dear Sangat Ji, I am a Punjabi guy who needs advice on getting his sister more interested in Sikhi. Our family lives in the west, and our upbringing was not very religious at all, apart from going to Gurdwara once a week. I am 20 years old and started to explore Sikhi on my own, to find out more about my past, and I fell in love with it. I am not the most practicing Sikh, but am trying to make myself better. I have started doing more sewa and am currently in the process of learning Japji Sahib. So I am making some progress.

The thing is, I want my sister to experience the same joy that I found in Sikhi, but I am having difficulty getting her to open up to it. You see, she is 17, and when I was 17, I was a lot like her. I was not religious at all and didn't want to have anything to do with it. My sister has even told me that she doesn't want to marry a religious guy, and I thought that was disappointing. But the thing is, as I matured, I grew out of that way of thinking and realized Sikhi for the beautiful path it is. So I harbor the hope that my sister will go down a similar route as me and one day accept Sikhi into her life.

But I would really like to just speed up the process, since I know there is a lot in the religion she could connect to. She has told me in the past that she likes being in the Gurdwara and listening to the kirtans, it is very peaceful to her. She does go to Gurdwara with me, so that is a positive. It's not like she's a bad girl, don't get me wrong. She has good friends, does well in school, no drugs or alcohol or partying or anything like that. I just need to find a way to make her connect. I feel like going to the Gurdwara and listenting to kirtan by itself won't do much, since even though we both find it peaceful, neither of us can fully understand it. I have thought about getting her to try Japji Sahib with me, but am not sure how she would react. I would also like to maybe introduce her to some knowledgable GurSikhs, but again, don't know if she would go through with it.

Any thoughts on how to bring a non-religious Punjabi girl back to Sikhi? It is just the two of us, we love each other a lot, and I want for her what the Guru has given to me :)

I can guarantee this will work. Don't 'force' anything, but tell her the story of the chote sahibzade, with full pyaar and emotian and that will influence her, a story on shaheeds sacrificing themselves for the love of Guru jee always works.

also, encourage her to do what she likes, for example, if she like kirtan, ask her to play it to you, you sing along, get her to sing along , listen to it more and tell her inspriing stories. Such as, hemkunt sahibs miracles and make her believe the stories, they are history not myths and tell her how different we are to hindus/muslims etc and that sikhi isnt our religion, it is our JAAN.

About marriage, thats her own opinion but try and tell her how beautifuul the singhs look, and that monas just look wimpy compared to them lol.

Guest Guest

Oh thank you!

For sure I do not want to "force" anything on my sis, I want nothing more than for her to be happy, it is just that in today's day and when there are so many problems in society, I think Sikhi would be an added bonus to anyone's life. Just the other day, I saw a Muslim girl in a hijab sharing a cigarette and making out with a guy behind our Uni, and I thought to myself, her family probably thinks she's perfect and will stay out of trouble because they make her wear the hijab (I doubt she wears it out of free will if she acts like that), and I realized that forcing someone to behave a certain way in your presence isn't going to do any good since that person can and will do whatever when you are not around.

So I don't want to make my sis have to put on this facade in front of me just for my pleasure, I would rather instill a love of Sikhi in her heart so that no matter where she is in life, she can turn to Sikhi for guidance on right and wrong. It is less important to me that she pray or meditate or this or that (although I am sure if everything else happens, she will eventually do that as well), I would rather have her accept the morality put forth by Sikhi and do her best to follow it.

So yes, very good suggestions so far, and I understand I need to set the example. If anyone has any further advice, I would love to hear it!

That explains alot about you. For sure mr johal must have had a similar past ; )

No my dear Mr. Johal was taught Gurmukhi(academically it was never my subject) in childhood so he can do paath.

Mr. Johal by the grace of the God when started doing paath, he(god) helped him to learn Gurbani vyakaran.

I do paath and just believe in him. See if it covers you book reader.

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਜਉ ਸਿਖਾ ਮਹਿ ਚੂਕ ॥
Kabeer Saachaa Sathigur Kiaa Karai Jo Sikhaa Mehi Chook ||
Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?
ਅੰਧੇ ਏਕ ਨ ਲਾਗਈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਬਜਾਈਐ ਫੂਕ ॥੧੫੮॥
Andhhae Eaek N Laagee Jio Baans Bajaaeeai Fook ||158||
The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||

No my dear Mr. Johal was taught Gurmukhi(academically it was never my subject) in childhood so he can do paath.

Mr. Johal by the grace of the God when started doing paath, he(god) helped him to learn Gurbani vyakaran.

You believe in Grace of God? I'm surprised you don't consider that to be metaphorical as well

You believe in Grace of God? I'm surprised you don't consider that to be metaphorical as well

LOL I can differentiate between metaphor and reality.

You should come into term that everything bad happens to us is because of our Karmas(deeds) not toona.

You understand Gurbani better then me I quoted shabad from gurbani.

You should understand gurbani then you should say "Sat Sat kar jano"(Jony101 ji its your quote)