• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• There is a Sikh girl named Amaya. I would not say that her parents belong to the religious group.  People in our community tend to believe that Sikhi gives you options to choose. Well, God has given all the free will to choose between religion and maya and between specifically which religion you would want to follow. However, God is also the one who makes people forget about him and he is the one who reminds people about his existence too.  Tudh aap vishoreya aap milaya.  We as Sikhs need to understand that God is still in control. Who are we to judge people.  A good example is if you met Jagraj Singh before he was a devoted Sikh, would you have the same to say about him 10 years later? You never know who God is going to choose to become a devoted and blessed Gursikh next.  Apne karam ki ghat mae kya jaanu, says bhagat Ji.  Judging others is wrong. Looking at so and so and criticizing them is wrong. We are supposed to look at our own selves. If we keep looking at others, then we are neglecting ourselves - it is ourselves that we need to improve.  Hum nahi change bura nahi koi. Realise that everybody is at a different level - however we will all get there in the end.
    • http://www.sikhmatrimonials.com/Sikhnet/discussion.nsf/ca32680024ff68b487256a08007e86d8/950014563418440f87256fc00033d318!OpenDocument
      During my visits to the Harimandir Sahib in late 1990s when I was studying at Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, I often came across a very familiar scene – Inside the sanctum sanctorum, sitting opposite to the ‘kirtaniyes’, a man in his 30s, in a sense of extreme gush, mesmerized and actuated by the euphoria of the keertan, physically detached from the World around him, his eyes closed with tears flowing down his cheeks and drenching his black flowing beard.

Something conspicuously different from what others were doing- hurling their way towards the sanctum sanctorum, making their own space to bow down and offer their respects, very cautious of the positioning of the cameras, telecasting live images around the world. 

Wow! I used to say every time I saw him. I thought, this is what one needs in order to attain a humane connection with that place and the environment. But I also realized that this was something inveterate, which would only come with time, filled with love for the Guru and Gurbani…

hau reh na ska bin dekhe preetma mai neer vahe vahe chale jeeo. 
      I cannot survive without seeing my Beloved. My eyes are welling up with tears. 
      (M4; Pg 94; SGGS)

But I was also a bit puzzled. Why this melancholy? It is said, ‘’how but through a broken heart can Lord enter’’. Was it the environment, the shabad or something else? It was all-in-one I guess. Sitting with crossed legs, closed eyes, listening to the ‘dhur ki baani’ written by our Gurus – this reaction is inevitable if we really concentrate on the shabad, its meaning and environment.

Also, is melancholy a reflection of the Sikhs’ perception of ‘man neevan’ which they utter daily in their prayer, ‘man neevan; mat uchee’? (humble mind and exalted wisdom). It’s such a unique combination of the ‘man’ (mind) being humble but at the same time the spirits being high.     
    • You're not alone in wondering why people do this. As far as my observations, people who name thier daughters maya don't have a clue what maya is or the concept of maya. These people tend to be Sikh in name only. They do it purely to be modern while keeping an 'indian flavour' to thier childs name.
    • Guest Kaur 2
      VJKK VJKF This question has been eating at me for quite a long time now. I thought that maya what something that distracts us from Vaheguru so why do people call their daughters maya? Do you think it comes from Bollywood? Just a thought. VJKK VJKF  
    • Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh !! Sangat Ji, Just came across this interesting read while downloading Kirtan from Sikhnet. Thought i should share.. https://www.sikhnet.com/news/why-do-sikhs-celebrate-bandi-chhor-divas-so-much Source: http://americanbornconfusedsikh.blogspot.ca/2017/10/why-do-sikhs-celebrate-bandi-chor-divas.html   P.S  - I do not affiliate or follow 3HO or any related sikh organisations   Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh !!