I have something to say.

Guest AnonymousSingh

Guest AnonymousSingh

Um, I'm not sure how to write this... I don't know where to start so..

I am fifteen years old living in Michigan. My life has been extremely depressing ever since.. ever. I was born in Canada and moved to michigan and everything got worse. I always thought I was different with my patka and hair and all that. I went to a catholic school in elementary (haha that didnt help). Recently I've been questioning religion. I've been studying other cultures and religions for the past 15 weeks or so and have been having different thoughts about it. All I see is corruption in the world. I was never really religious in the past. I have uncut hair so I wear a patka right now. I've always held my faith high and learned more about sikhi at a young age thanks to the internet. I've been studying some crazy religions... I just can't have myself following a religion. Most of these religions claim to be right and true. Which one can be true. I've been exposed to so many religions how can I dare myself to choose?! I don't want to call myself Sikh because I don't believe in a religion. A group. I feel like this group divides me and gives me assumptions from others. When someone says they are muslim a common person thinks the person to be of the middle east with certain morals and principles. I don't want to call myself anything. I want to have the ability to have my own morals and principles. I've argued with my parents a bit trying to explain myself but our language barrier and their love for sikhi is unbreakable. What I don't understand is how my dad cuts and shaves his beard but expects me to praise the pagh and dhari. My whole family is like this.. the parents shave and dont follow the religion yet expect the kids to be good souls. My parents even sometimes offer me meat.. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND how they can do this and call themselves sikh. I know they aren't amrit but still. I hate meat but on occasion I do eat it being honest. I have a dhari and do trim.. Is it wrong that I don't feel regret anymore?

My views are kinda-of like Bhagat Singh in his last years. All I see is corruption in other religions why must I be abide to even follow one.

I cannot be religious anymore. I don't need religion anymore. I have great morals thanks to Sikhism and love this religion to death.

If God can accept where I am coming from then I praise him. If not.. Im sorry.

I don't know what to expect with anyone posting a comment below. I've been feeling really down the past year and just don't know what to do.

Can anyone else relate?

The way u have written - I must say its so cute :glomp:

People on this forum have one bad habit.... mostly are grown ups dont understand the feeling of teenagers .. come here explain few things in high level contradictory words n will make a mess out of ur situations.. hehehehheh

I am not saying i am right... but what i have seen in practical.... To follow sikhi u need to have luv for it... n sikhi is not about just keeping hair and not eating meat....

U said u explore about sikhi on internet right...

First give some time to sikhi... read more about it.. read more about the lifes of our Gurus and read about some other well known religion of this world... compare it with urs...

If u will move for all the religions then u will end up creating ur own :p

U need to think logical... dont just follow what is written in all the Granths n bibles... apply ur logic.. n think what is correct.. u r young enough to judge though.. but u urself can make urself to fall in luv with Guru...

U are at a age where u need concrete answers to ur questions.. only u urself can sort out ur query.. coz of internet everything is easy... just explore.. n think what u need..

Our parent will do 1000 mistakes in their life but will expect their children to not to do one.... so lead ur life the way u want to... The early u understand the good n bad the better u will be.... :)

WJKKWJKKF. Sikhi isn't about forcing someone to follow it. But when I hear or read something along this storyline-of adopting other religions or breaking away from Sikhi, I feel like I have just lost something most valued from me. It is a strange feeling as if it hurts me, even though I have absolutely no clue who you are but I feel like you are part of us and we are going to lose you. I am not lying that is exactly how i feel. Sikhi is a different path, no ormal religion. The most shaheedis, the most love, the easiest and the most equality that you will find no where else i can assure you of that. you are so young yet you need to make a connection with bani and gurus and great sikhs and feel part of the family, Guru Gobind Singh ji will want to see you as their own son so don't let them down. I beg you, look at the great gursikhs that died for us, just once with love and pyar. Think Bhai Taru Singh ji is your dad, your family, think of the emotional hurricanes that came and wanted to finnish off our roots and the mughals torturing us. It doesn't seem real because it is unimaginable and so extreme the amount of things we have come through. you are a petal of the flower and you belong to us, and I can prove yuo that because you are born into a sikh family. yes 'sikh' family, you would have done good karams in a past reincarnated life in order to be born Sikh, you are lucky. Don't take it for granted grow close to sikhi and believe that it is more than just a set of rules BTW 'ignornce is bliss' in the terms of other religions like muslims/hinduism etc. I am by no means biased however i can definately not encourage you to break away from your rooots where God wanted you to be. Going gainst skhi-for you- will be giong against gods will. take it easy, keep yoursef occupied, learn more and then come on this forum to thank my wonderful inspiring post :)

Anonymous Singh, that is someone's personal opinion and we respect it, however, Gurbani repeatedly states to follow Guru Sahib's Hukam and live life His way under His Will. It also says that logic or cleverness will not be approved in Dargah, only true and innocent love out of unconditional and selfless surrender is approved there.

Just yesterday an American friend of mine said "God doesn't need to be on your side, you need to be on His side".

U cant always force people to follow ...... "Guru".... u cant specify other religion to be worthless... Gurbani states to follow Guru Sahib's Hukam but not all human mind states the same.. Just because u r following a religion does not mean other will also follow it....

This is the main drawback of people who are Gursikhs... they make other people understand few aspects of sikhi... which make others to follow also... but at a certain time the words get vanish from mind.. n all the external factors starts affecting....then the time comes when people breakout...

only luv for sikhi will make u sikh life tym.... :) If a person following his/her own will ... will be a true follower... this comes from within....

If a person wants to be sikh from heart.. from his own will.. no one in this world can divert his mind.. but if a person is not satisfied internally.. anyone can convert them... n those person make us look bad..

Remember "A person who cant respect other religions will never respect his own".... Said by Guru Tegh Bahadur g.....

I have not ridiculed any faith or forced anyone to do anything, nor am I asking anyone to follow what I follow, so please don't make presumptions. Gursikhs don't have any problems, but yes those who have a problem with the message of Gurbani do have a problem. If you cannot help Anonymous Singh, kindly don't bother posting in this thread.

Thanks

Recently I've been questioning religion. I've been studying other cultures and religions for the past 15 weeks or so and have been having different thoughts about it.

Its always a good idea to have a fair bit of knowledge about one's own culture/history/religion/philosophy before researching others. I am NOT saying its a requirement, its alright if you don't, just saying that at times it might just help you not get confused or start questioning or doubting your own faith without an apparent reason (I am not saying your reasons are irrelevant).

All I see is corruption in the world.

You're right veer, there is so much of it all around us and it comes with a package of additional hypocrisy, so much so that we can't really blame anyone for questioning or doubting so many of the pristine jewels of Sikhi we're blessed with.

I've been studying some crazy religions... I just can't have myself following a religion. Most of these religions claim to be right and true. Which one can be true. I've been exposed to so many religions how can I dare myself to choose?!

Veer, this is just my personal opinion, but the word religion has more than one definition. Sikhi is a Panth, its more than a religion. I personally like to call it a developmental and progressive journey of the soul towards Vaheguru. You know why we grow hair? Because the keyword here is "GROWTH". We grow towards Vaheguru, we develop and progress through various stages and phases of spirituality before we get there. Sikhi is a journey, Vaheguru is the destination. Whatever you see as religion is actually the much needed package that you carry throughout this journey. So I'd say, don't worry too much about it, and also don't trash it either. Just know that its something you need on this path and make sure to enjoy it as you travel. Again, just my opinion. I'd strongly suggest you to recite more Gurbani and try to understand the meanings of what Guru Sahib says in there.

I don't want to call myself Sikh because I don't believe in a religion. A group. I feel like this group divides me and gives me assumptions from others. I don't want to call myself anything.

Veer, how do you define Sikh? Gurbani defines Sikh in many ways. You think you're not different? You ARE different veer! And you know why? And do you know how? You're not different in the sense that you're higher or lower than anyone. You're different because your appearance is of someone who has been chosen and appointed to serve humanity. And it doesn't divide you from people, in fact it is the easiest way to connect you with them because they know instantly the moment they see you that this guy can help me out, he won't cheat me. You carry a massive responsibility on your shoulders Veer, the responsibility to bring glory to your Sikh appearance. Of course you belong to a group. You belong to a group that is always ready to put itself in the line of fire when any other group is suffering. You are from a group that doesn't put down any group. You are blessed! If others make assumptions about you, either they are uninformed about Sikhi, or they are unfortunate enough to make those assumptions. Don't stress about such people, rather take on the responsibility to actually educate them about what you stand for. Its a matter of time that those who you saw divided will unite with you, and those who make assumptions will respect you for who and what you are.

I want to have the ability to have my own morals and principles.

Veer, are we perfect? Are we free from mistakes? Have we reached a level when we can invent our own morals and principles? If yes, then more power to you. If no, then why take the risk of following something that could change tomorrow and hurt you? Why not follow something that is infallible? You know what makes Gurbani priceless compared to all the other modern day philosophies by all these so-called modern day thinkers? I can't comprehend all the reasons, but the major reason I can fathom is that Gurbani was uttered, recited, practiced and preached at the cost of life. The Guru Sahibaan and Shaheeds did not waiver, rather sacrificed their lives. Guru Sahib refused to change even a single word, i.e. refused to change "mittee Musalmaan ki" to "mittee bey-imaan ki" and then attained Shaheedi. This is just one reason why Gurbani is priceless. Can you or me say the same about our own self-manufactured morals and principles which we might as well modify as soon as next week?

I've argued with my parents a bit trying to explain myself but our language barrier and their love for sikhi is unbreakable. What I don't understand is how my dad cuts and shaves his beard but expects me to praise the pagh and dhari. My whole family is like this.. the parents shave and dont follow the religion yet expect the kids to be good souls. My parents even sometimes offer me meat.. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND how they can do this and call themselves sikh. I know they aren't amrit but still. I hate meat but on occasion I do eat it being honest.

Relax Veer, don't judge them. They are your parents, love, honor, respect and serve them as a good son. None of us are perfectly following the path of Sikhi, they are the same. I know it seems hypocritical when someone shaves and asks you to be a good Sikh, maybe that is the "corruption" you were referring to? Relax, it happens. People, including parents and friends, do advise to do stuff they don't do at all themselves. Its human nature for the most part. I am glad that you realize what is right and what is not, and would urge you to listen to your soul, no, not your mind, your soul. Listen to your soul and follow Guru Sahib's Hukam.

I have a dhari and do trim.. Is it wrong that I don't feel regret anymore?

Veer, the fact that you're asking means deep down you do feel that there is something not right about trimming. Isn't it? Do we ever question ourselves "I took a shower, did I do something wrong?", or "I brushed my teeth, have I made a mistake?". But since you're questioning the trimming part, it means deep down your consciousness already realizes that its something you shouldn't do. I am not talking about those who shave and trim and don't care, I am talking about you here.

My views are kinda-of like Bhagat Singh in his last years.

Veer, don't fall for the Bollywood theory on Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh. He had hair 6 inches long and was refused the opportunity to become Amritdhari which he wished for. He changed after he spoke to Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh jee. Sardar Bhagat Singh was NOT cleanshaven when he became a martyr.

All I see is corruption in other religions why must I be abide to even follow one. I cannot be religious anymore. I don't need religion anymore. I have great morals thanks to Sikhism and love this religion to death.

Veer, question to you, with all due respect, but aren't you contradicting yourself over here? You don't like religion and you love Sikhi (which you call a religion) to death? So let me try to understand, you love the philosophy and history of Sikhi, but not the concept of religion as per whatever definition you've come across? Am I right?

If God can accept where I am coming from then I praise him. If not.. Im sorry.

Veer, Guru Sahib accepts everyone anyways. He even loves the worst sinners. The question is, do you want to accept His grace in your life?

Trust me Veer, we're not asking you to live your life the way we live ours. At the end of the day, its your own personal relationship with Guru Sahib, it has its own flavor, its own fragrance, its own color and its own shades. No one can and no one should interfere in it. But since you've posted here, we can only make mere attempts to share our thoughts with you. By no means am I trying to lecture, so please forgive me if anything I said was offensive or you didn't like it.

bhul chuk maaf

- Mehtab Singh

Why don't all the confused religion questioners all get together and form their own dera ?? :wow:

Running your own dera will be the answer to all your religion doubts, since you can pick and choose what you want and don't want !

It has many many financial benefits as well, and you will never have to worry about having an income ever again ! :biggrin2:

:omg: HANG-ON........ HAS SOMEONE ALREADY USED THIS GREAT IDEA ??? :stupidme:

The whole time I was reading your post, one thing was coming to my mind again and again. Have you experienced Naam Ras? If Gurbani was reallyyyy nothing then Naam Ras or Veraag is soo unexplainable. Naam Ras is a very different satisfaction + true love + truthfulness + real + (SO MUCH MORE) you feel after doing Naam Simran. Veraag is when you unknowingly start crying while reciting Gurbani or Naam Simran. When a person starts doing Naam Simran and path alot, with Guru ji's Kirpa you get to experience these. Try to make sence of what this is? This cannot be conditioning of mind or a learned behaviour because I have seen people hearing Mool Mantar, or Waheguru for the very first time in their lives and they experience this! Then...it certainly means perhaps there is something more powerful in Gurbani then?

When somebody experiences these, then they never want to leave Guru ji. They just try to be good Sikhs more and more. I cannot explain HOW the feeling of it is because.... there is no such thing in the world which I can compare it too! All I would say is, I cannot tell you the taste of strawberry if you havent ever tasted. I can say its sweet... but that is pretty much it.

I would suggest you to try this. Veerji, you want the true answer right? :) Why don't you try to do Naam Simran and paath everyday. (Please don't get me wrong. I have no intention to make you a sikh or anything, just trying to suggest )