Clothes

Guest kimkaur

Guest kimkaur

Is this common between us that when a singni wears western clothes the singhniyaa in bana look down upon you. This always happens to me. What is the problem if you are covered up and not displaying any flesh then that is fine in my opinion. Why isn't this fully accepted-after all we live in thee western world and our religion in sikh. We say and preach that culture and religion are different so why am I targeted as my clothes do not influence or affect my rehat. So it is wrong to wear skinny jeans but guys can wear shorts. They can wear sleeveless vests with kirpans underneath and round dastaara but girls cannot wear anything buit traditional suits...It does not have any equality or fair-ness does it.

I dont really look down upon girls who are wearing western, decent clothes. I respect if I see a Singhni wearing decent clothes at Collage, malls or anywhere. I respect her because I just feels she knows she is Guru Ji's daughter and acting like one. Even though there is nothing wrong with wearing decent western clothes, I still love to wear bana! They are your true clothes afterall! :)

No, there is no harm in you wearing something that isn't disrespectful to yourself.

I think the women looking down on you are the ones that really need to take time out and evaluate themselves and their Sikhi!

How do you know they're looking down at you? Have they explicitly said to you that the way you were dressed was inappropriate? Or was it just a look? Because every single bana wearing Singhni I have met has no problem with jeans/dresses at all so I find this really hard to believe. As long as your clothes don't stick to your body, it's all gravy. Wear what you want.

Western clothing is fine. I personally think the appropriate rule of thumb should be if you feel comfortable wearing this clothing in the gurudwara then it should be ok outside.

But then again you see people wearing extremely form fitting clothing in the gurudwara now a days so who knows. One suggestion is to not look at yourself in comparison to others (i.e. why can't I wear it if they wear it). Do whatever keeps your mind at ease and allows you to progress spiritually.