Drunken thug rips Turaban off Sikh Mans Head

dholki

Drunken thug, 25, ripped Sikh man's turban off his head for a joke causing the victim to be shunned by his own community
  • Ashley Cicatello had '4-5 pints' and 4 Jagerbombs when he spotted victim

• He told friends to get the incident on YouTube before yanking turban off

• Cicatello told police he had done it because he wanted to be 'class clown'

• The victim has since relocated after being too ashamed to return to work

By Amanda Williams

PUBLISHED: 11:32, 26 February 2013 | UPDATED: 15:54, 26 February 2013

article-2284674-184CDE3B000005DC-444_306

Ashley Cicatello (pictured at North Staffordshire Justice Centre today) ripped a Sikh supermarket worker's turban off his head

A man ripped a Sikh supermarket worker's turban off his head and told friends to film the incident and put it on YouTube during a drunken joke, a court has heard.

Ashley Cicatello, 25, had spent the afternoon drinking beer and Jagerbomb shots when he spotted the victim in a Sainsbury's supermarket on December 27, last year.

Cicatello, from Dunkirk, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, told his friends: 'Get this on record. This is going on YouTube' before running up behind the victim and yanking the turban off his head.

The prank caused the victim to be ostracised from his own community, it was claimed.

Cicatello sprinted off with the turban and was chased through the store before being wrestled to the ground by security guards.

He later admitted to police that he had 'been an absolute prat' and had done it because he wanted to be the 'class clown.'

Magistrates were told the Sikh father-of-two has since transferred stores after being being too ashamed to return to work.

North Staffordshire Justice Centre heard the victim - who cannot be named for legal reasons after a judge ruled that the shame of the incident had led to him being ostracised from his community - had faced the most 'gratuitous degradation.'

Cicatello was convicted of religiously aggravated assault following a trial on Monday.

He had admitted assault but denied it was religiously motivated.

Carol Brown, chairman of the bench, said: 'Mr Cicatello caused gratuitous degradation of the victim which has resulted in an ongoing effect on the injured party.

'This was a person working in the public sector in a public place.

article-2284674-184D5A91000005DC-640_634

North Staffordshire Justice Centre heard the victim - who cannot be named for legal reasons after a judge ruled that the shame of the incident had led to him being ostracised from his community - had faced the most 'gratuitous degradation'

'It's our belief that the defendant demonstrated hostility to the person who wore the turban, and therefore we find him guilty.'

Sikh men are not permitted to cut their hair and must keep their heads covered.

Normally turbans are only removed in the most intimate of circumstances, when bathing the head, or washing the hair.

The victim told the court the incident had devastating consequences for him.

article-2284674-184C34EC000005DC-615_306

Cicatello (believed to be pictured here on a night out) then sprinted off with it and was chased through the store before being wrestled to the ground by security guards

Giving evidence he said: 'Taking a turban off a Sikh guy in public is just like hanging him in public.

'After this I was not able to face my colleagues.

'If this happened in India a man would never go to this place again, it is that disgraceful.

'My self-esteem and confidence - everything has been shattered because of this incident.'

The court heard Cicatello had gone to the store at 5pm to buy beer with three friends.

He had drunk 'four or five pints' and four Jagerbombs - a mixture of spirit Jagermeister and Red Bull.

He told the court: 'I got dared to take the turban off his head. It was nothing to do with his religion or the colour of his skin.

'It was just being stupid. I just did it because I wanted to be the class clown.'

He told magistrates he ran off with the turban because he 'panicked' when he saw the anger on the victim's face.

Nicola Bell, defending, said he was in full-time work and had not been before the courts for five years.

She said: 'He is mortified by his actions. He has given a formal apology to the injured party.'

Magistrates heard Cicatello's pals had filmed the attack on a mobile phone but the footage was deleted and never uploaded to the internet.

Sentence was adjourned to allow for reports to be prepared.

He was bailed to appear before the same court on March 18.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2284674/Dunkirk-thug-Ashley-Cicatello-rips-Sikh-mans-turban-causing-victim-shunned-community.html#ixzz2M1XD8uRJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What I don't ever understand with cases like these is WHY does the victim always come off looking so weak and helpless?!?! He had to move because he was shamed?! Are we Singhs with dastar or some pansies who cry and run when some punk tries to pull these type of stunts, the Singh should have stepped up and chased down the fool himself, and then stood his ground.

I found this quite shicking and upsetting to read.

The victim was at work in a public space ie a supermarket when the thug just attacked him.

He probably had no time to react, especially if it happened from behind. The thug then ran off, it must have happened so quickly.

i don't think we should judge the Sikh so harshly, it says he has been ostracised by his community, surely we should support him.

When something like this happens the automatic response from the aggrieved should be to inflict as much pain - as soon as is humanly possible - on the person misbehaving. There shouldn't even be time to think and give the other guy chance to breathe. Don't think, just do.

Eventually word will get out that if you touch a Sikh's turban you are playing with your life. There's got to be a watershed moment where it becomes common knowledge there's a chance you will end up seriously hurt if you touch a Sikh's turban.

This just comes to show that in the west you should be mentally and physically tyar bar tyar. Always be on alert. You should always be ready for a potential Pangaa. Keep a few Shastars with you all the time. A heavy leather belt is a good weapon, our Kirpan, Kara are also useful, also buy yourself brass knuckles they can cause real damage to your opponent with minimal amount of effort from you. Practice shadow boxing/fighting everyday with these Shartars.

Also in the west, sadly all the Singhs you see are either too skinny or overweight with unhealthy bodies. Join the gym and make yourself look formidable. Even change your walk. Walk like a Mard a real Babbar Sher, don't walk like a gay person with your shoulders tucked in because sadly that is what I see most westernized Sikhs do influenced with the western man who has been feminized and is mentally castrated.