How to tackle jaath-paath discrimination in Matrimonials?

UKLondonSikh

I had Sangat TV on this morning. Got home around 7.40pm today and switched on the TV and lo and behold there was a Matrimonials programme in which, on a nationwide Sikhi channel, jaath-paath of individuals was being mentioned. I was utterly disgusted and I wanted to alert the forum members about this.

Both Sikh Channel and Sangat TV have done a great deal to push forward the agenda of Sikhi in the UK. But when the pioneer of Sikh Channel is pushing jaath-paath divisions to hundreds of thousands of youngsters via Sikh Channel's "sister" station dedicated to music and Sangat TV have stooped so low so as to cave in to pressure for mentioning biraderi, something has got to be done, in terms of peaceful, polite protest against this madness.

Fair enough it is ok, in my opinion, that applicants can be mentioned as Amritdhari, Kesdhari or Sehajdhari but anything further is a disgrace. And I believe we the UK Sangat should make it clear to the two channels we will withold support to them until they eliminate all forms of normalising this cancer that exists within the community 314 years after Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj initiated the Khalsa Panth.

Logically, it is madness for the UK Sikh Sangat to spend out £150,000 a month supporting two stations when we need only one saanjha station operating at £75,000 per month ... with the other almost £1million a year thereby saved being better deployed to assist the gareeb and uneducated and unhealthy in Punjab and elsewhere.

I think we need a massive parchaar campaign to educate parents and youngsters involved in this cancerous jaath-paath discrimination mess about what actually occurred at Vasakhi 1699. We need to make it clear to people that if they regard themselves as anything other than Sikh that they should advertise and broadcast themselves as Hindu's and Muslims. Not Sikh. If people feel superiority in being Jatt, Tharkhan, Chamar, Khatri etc, etc or wish to enforce caste apartheid at Matrimonial level them let's make it clear to them that they should advertise and parade their identity as Muslim Jatts, Hindu Tharkhans, Hindu Chamars and never dare to hyphenate their biraderi identity to which they are so loyal with the suffix "Sikh". All sections of the community fought within the Ramgarhia Misl with over 90% of the Gursikh warriors being of an ancestry different to what Bhai Lalo Ji did yet the term Ramgarhia has been falsely misappropriated and taken away from the wider Panth. Similarly, only true Sikhs are true Ravidassia's yet these Dera Ballan Congress pimps dare to try appropriate that term away from us as Sikhs. It's common knowledge that the vast 80% majority of Jatts are proud of being Muslims and Hindu's and those 80% of Jatts in Pakistan and Haryana/Delhi look at 1947 and 1984 with a sense of pride as to how they dealt with innocent Sikhs ... yet some of their brethren in East Punab who claim to be Sikh are now looking for Backward Caste status in Punjab instead of looking to tackle the root of the problem - lack of ekta and discrimination within the Panth. We also need to make it more extensively known that Mata Gujri Ji, the wife of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Maharaj and Mother of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj, was of Gujjar descent - thereby proving that our Guru's did not marry according to the Hindu and Muslim caste rules that surrounded them, as each and every one of our Guru's flatly rejected any biraderi appelation ascribed them by the Mughals and other anti-Sikh scribes working for the Muslim Empire.

How do we tackle this in 2013? Suggestions from everyone on the forum welcome.

First and foremost let's email Sikh Channel and Sangat TV to air our concerns. Let's write to our various local Gurdwara committees promoting biraderi on their matrimonial listings. The painting of the Sahibzade being moved for health and safety reasons caused a great commotion. But the biggest (saanjha) Gurdwara in the country referencing biraderi identity in their matrimonial listings hasn't been tackled as the bigger issue of the two facing the Qaum. And day by day more of our community's youngsters are getting brainwashed into this cancerous anti-Sikh ideology of jaath-paath via Sikh Channel's secular "sister" music station.

By all means let's debate smaller ideological issues (which are important in there own right at a smaller level) with pyaar and satkaar but we need to be a solid united front for the real matters that fundamentally matter.

Logically, it is madness for the UK Sikh Sangat to spend out £150,000 a month supporting two stations when we need only one saanjha station operating at £75,000 per month ... with the other almost £1million a year thereby saved being better deployed to assist the gareeb and uneducated and unhealthy in Punjab and elsewhere.

Gurdwara Committee donkeys now running the media

Gurdwara Committee donkeys now running the media

I wouldn't quite go so far as to say that Paji but I totally agree with you that divisive TV politics at the expense of ekta is unforgivable. Imagine how many gareeb even £1million could assist via education and healthcare. If the Muslims have 20 stations funded by the Saudi's let them. We need to think and act smart with our smaller resources.

Muslims+Hindu's+Christians spend multi-millions on their places of worship and we somehow feel the need to copy of them. When Guru Sahib made it clear that we need simple Gurdwaray (without Gold on them) with the emphasis of golak funds being spent for upliftment of the oppressed and with a strong united saanjha Sangat

Let the next generation, young educated professional sikhs run the channel, until then you got Rehras at 6pm on sky 840, 847, and 822. Sangats money to play Rehras Sahib on TV all at the sime time WOW very clever. Though i can understand Sikh Channel to be run by budeh i would have thought sangat tv to be better, both channels are hosting presenters who have no knmowledge of Sikhism. Just recently Harjap Bhangal was interviewed on Sangat TV.......He and the presenter said "oh you don't need Sikhi swaroop, dil sacha hona chaiheeda hai".

Brilliant, great message that is to the youth

Let the next generation, young educated professional sikhs run the channel, until then you got Rehras at 6pm on sky 840, 847, and 822. Sangats money to play Rehras Sahib on TV all at the sime time WOW very clever. Though i can understand Sikh Channel to be run by budeh i would have thought sangat tv to be better, both channels are hosting presenters who have no knmowledge of Sikhism. Just recently Harjap Bhangal was interviewed on Sangat TV.......He and the presenter said "oh you don't need Sikhi swaroop, dil sacha hona chaiheeda hai".

How did the Sikhs let them get away with these outrageous comments?

Have we lost all sense of self respect and let these shameless beings open their

dirty traps to say what ever they want against us.

I had Sangat TV on this morning. Got home around 7.40pm today and switched on the TV and lo and behold there was a Matrimonials programme in which, on a nationwide Sikhi channel, jaath-paath of individuals was being mentioned. I was utterly disgusted and I wanted to alert the forum members about this.

Both Sikh Channel and Sangat TV have done a great deal to push forward the agenda of Sikhi in the UK. But when the pioneer of Sikh Channel is pushing jaath-paath divisions to hundreds of thousands of youngsters via Sikh Channel's "sister" station dedicated to music and Sangat TV have stooped so low so as to cave in to pressure for mentioning biraderi, something has got to be done, in terms of peaceful, polite protest against this madness.

Fair enough it is ok, in my opinion, that applicants can be mentioned as Amritdhari, Kesdhari or Sehajdhari but anything further is a disgrace. And I believe we the UK Sangat should make it clear to the two channels we will withold support to them until they eliminate all forms of normalising this cancer that exists within the community 314 years after Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj initiated the Khalsa Panth.

I think we need a massive parchaar campaign to educate parents and youngsters involved in this cancerous jaath-paath discrimination mess about what actually occurred at Vasakhi 1699. We need to make it clear to people that if they regard themselves as anything other than Sikh that they should advertise and broadcast themselves as Hindu's and Muslims. Not Sikh. If people feel superiority in being Jatt, Tharkhan, Chamar, Khatri etc, etc or wish to enforce caste apartheid at Matrimonial level them let's make it clear to them that they should advertise and parade their identity as Muslim Jatts, Hindu Tharkhans, Hindu Chamars and never dare to hyphenate their biraderi identity to which they are so loyal with the suffix "Sikh". All sections of the community fought within the Ramgarhia Misl with over 90% of the Gursikh warriors being of an ancestry different to what Bhai Lalo Ji did yet the term Ramgarhia has been falsely misappropriated and taken away from the wider Panth. Similarly, only true Sikhs are true Ravidassia's yet these Dera Ballan Congress pimps dare to try appropriate that term away from us as Sikhs. It's common knowledge that the vast 80% majority of Jatts are proud of being Muslims and Hindu's and those 80% of Jatts in Pakistan and Haryana/Delhi look at 1947 and 1984 with a sense of pride as to how they dealt with innocent Sikhs ... yet some of their brethren in East Punab who claim to be Sikh are now looking for Backward Caste status in Punjab instead of looking to tackle the root of the problem - lack of ekta and discrimination within the Panth. We also need to make it more extensively known that Mata Gujri Ji, the wife of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji Maharaj and Mother of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj, was of Gujjar descent - thereby proving that our Guru's did not marry according to the Hindu and Muslim caste rules that surrounded them, as each and every one of our Guru's flatly rejected any biraderi appelation ascribed them by the Mughals and other anti-Sikh scribes working for the Muslim Empire.

How do we tackle this in 2013? Suggestions from everyone on the forum welcome.

First and foremost let's email Sikh Channel and Sangat TV to air our concerns. Let's write to our various local Gurdwara committees promoting biraderi on their matrimonial listings. The painting of the Sahibzade being moved for health and safety reasons caused a great commotion. But the biggest (saanjha) Gurdwara in the country referencing biraderi identity in their matrimonial listings hasn't been tackled as the bigger issue of the two facing the Qaum. And day by day more of our community's youngsters are getting brainwashed into this cancerous anti-Sikh ideology of jaath-paath via Sikh Channel's secular "sister" music station.

By all means let's debate smaller ideological issues (which are important in there own right at a smaller level) with pyaar and satkaar but we need to be a solid united front for the real matters that fundamentally matter.

Very well said. It is the responsibility of all of us who have love for our religion to get together and force the Gurdwara committees to ban the use of caste based matrimonial listings at

Gurudwaras.

I think he's exceeded his remit with that little comment. It's typical of some of us who get a bit of a profile, start chatting in-front of TV cameras and they think everything that comes out of their mouths are true bachchans. :biggrin2:

I can't wait for the revised version of events to emerge regarding that day back in 1699 when Guru Gobind Singh Ji thundered to the assembled throng on the zameen of Anandpur "Sikho, dil sacha hona chaiheeda hai! Cancel the amrit sanchaar, there's no need, don't worry about it."

I think he's exceeded his remit with that little comment. It's typical of some of us who get a bit of a profile, start chatting in-front of TV cameras and they think everything that comes out of their mouths are true bachchans. :biggrin2:

I can't wait for the revised version of events to emerge regarding that day back in 1699 when Guru Gobind Singh Ji thundered to the assembled throng on the zameen of Anandpur "Sikho, dil sacha hona chaiheeda hai! Cancel the amrit sanchaar, there's no need, don't worry about it."

mate theres already a "revised" version going on my mother said when she was young they were brought up to beleive Mahraaj chopped the heads of goats in a tent

mate theres already a "revised" version going on my mother said when she was young they were brought up to beleive Mahraaj chopped the heads of goats in a tent

The first time I heard the "goats tale" is when, as a kid, we went around to the house of a relation (thankfully not by blood) who was one of those typical irreligious heavy drinkers who had nothing but disdain for Sikhi. I think he was trying to wind up my dad, but for me I was about 8 or 9, and I was stressed out in the car on the journey back home. I kept asking my mum what the heck was going on with Vaisakhi, lol. My dad told me to man up and that I was going to hear a lot of hurtful things in life from various types of people and it was up to me to make up my own mind. He was right. :biggrin2: