Bhagat Jaidev ji : sudarshan chakra kirya meditation

This one is quite tricky and I will try to work at it.

The left nostril in yogic terms represents the moon(chand) and the right represents the sun.

The sun also refers to fiery and hot charachter and full of heat and ego whereas the moon refers to the calm and pure steady(sahaj) light.

As metaphors it is quite tricky but I don't think that it encouarages or favours this yoga practice as interpreted by the sikhnet lot !!

Disagree with my past comment- have learned and developed/ april 2014

We have to remember that Guru Arjan Dev ji put this bani in from Guru Nanak ji's collection of pothis from his travels.

Also, Guru Nanak ji also made it clear in siddh gosht and other places that the pingla and ida (left and right nostrils) are ALL the SAME for a gurmukh if he uses the shabad- hence he can automatically balance with help of shabad

I can't get too much out of the teekas either so I do have a few question marks on why the 16 chants in one breath ??

Is it because he was fully immersed with the divine waheguru like a droplet of water in the ocean and all his vibration was the Lord's name ??

One thing i don't understand is why we don't come in terms or face the reality as per gurbani that there are many meditation development stages as such there are many meditation techniques to meditate on Vahiguroo as the main purpose is to fills its main purpose which is to control the mind so that it stays in shabad, above gurbani tuk talks about koombak method (one of many) to control mind as gurbani also says: .jab kumbak bharpur lena tau baje anhad bena..just try it, inhale your breath, hold it- recite Vahiguroo mantra 16 times or more and listen to it at the same time with your surti - shabad surat, then exhale...not only by infusing shabad for sixteen times while holding your breath before exhale will control mind but this will also bring balance to prana and apana in the body which will further help an individual to further still the mind in shabad or gyan....i tried above method for couple of days, it helped me significantly...although i do admit its hard so i stopped doing it all time as i have asthma problem...i only do it if cannot concentrate at all.

It's known fact mind is fully connected with breath/prana and there is nothing mortifyingly hindu/yogic about it, so if i may quite bluntly- get over it, sikhs these days need to man up and get over their paranoia and start actually meditating before criticizing everything and anything within gurbani...no one is saying this will ultimately open door to bhramgyan/sachkhand, these are small meditation techniques there to help you in the stages of your meditation development..if it rocks your boat more power to you, if it does not rock your boat, well move on and try rest of techniques, read gurbani, do seva please do something, don't just sit idle and become a arm chair critic...!!

It is same like "Eka mai jugat vihayi,teen chele parwaan" of japji sahib. We should remember this. Many people play tricks.

Jor jugat na shoote sansaar in japji sahib one should stand clear.

Bhagat Kabeer ji pg 329 na mein jog dhyan chit laya.

There are two different tuks of gurbani which specifically says Jog/Yoga can increase your life and you can obtain good health but you can't find god with them, specifically I don't remember pg number, even particular word with which these tuks can be found. Pranayaam is the word used in one tuk I am not so sure.

Tuk of Rahaoo is always the theme/moral of the shabad which makes every thing clear.

As was explained before in the other yoga thread. Gurmat is very clear when it comes to yoga. Gurmat defines yoga as when we do shabad veechar by doing shabad veechar we unite with Akal Purakh. Take for examplt the word abstinence from this tuk:

jqu squ qpu pivqu srIrw hir hir mMin vswey ]
jath sath thap pavith sareeraa har har ma(n)n vasaaeae ||
Abstinence, truthfulness and self-discipline are obtained, and the body is purified; the Lord, Har, Har, comes to dwell within the mind.

ang 31

Maharaj has told Sikhs to get married, so does abstinence mean that we get married and never have kids or does abstinence take on a whole different meaning here? Ask a devoted Hindu to write down what abstinence means after reading the above tuk and ask a Gurmukh to write down what abstinence means after reading the above tuk. You will get completely two different meanings. Why? Because the devoted Hindu would refer back to Vedant scriptures and intrepret Gurbani through this frame of reference. But the Gurmukh would take abstinence and intrepret the word through Sat (truth), which is Gurmat.

In the same way, when Yogi Bhajan intrepreted the above shabad, since he got his teaching from a yogi, he intrepreted the shabad from a yogi frame of reference. Yogi Bhajan could not see that many if not all words that other scriptures and religions use have been given a different meaning when it comes to Gurbani.

After you listen to katha done by Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Khalsa on this shabad, you will understand that Gurmat does not promote this kind of stuff for uniting with Akal Purakh. Also there are two other shabads on this topic of left nostril and right nostril. First one is on ang 991 and again it is hard to understand it. But on ang 907 Maharaj has very clearly put down what is the true yoga. Here is one tuk out of the whole shabad and I'll place Sant ji's katha below it......forward the katha to 21 minutes of you just want to listen to the main part

गुरमुखि जोग सबदि आतमु चीनै हिरदै एकु मुरारी ॥१७॥
Gurmukẖ jog sabaḏ āṯam cẖīnai hirḏai ek murārī. ||17||
This is the Yoga of the Gurmukh: Through the Shabad, he understands his own soul, and he enshrines within his heart the One Lord. ||17||
मनूआ असथिरु सबदे राता एहा करणी सारी ॥१८॥
Manū▫ā asthir sabḏe rāṯā ehā karṇī sārī. ||18||
Imbued with the Shabad, his mind becomes steady and stable; this is the most excellent action. ||18||

Raag Ramkali--Ang-907 forward to 21 minutes.

The shabad the OP's posted katha

Raag Maaru--Ang-1106 (Bhagat Bani)

ਨਾ ਮੈ ਜੋਗ ਧਿਆਨ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥

ਬਿਨੁ ਬੈਰਾਗ ਨ ਛੂਟਸਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

ਕੈਸੇ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥

ਜਬ ਨ ਹੋਇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਅਧਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਖੋਜਉ ਅਸਮਾਨ ॥

ਰਾਮ ਸਮਾਨ ਨ ਦੇਖਉ ਆਨ ॥੨॥੩੪॥

Bhagat Kabeer ji page 329

Kabeer ji saying I have not used Yoga techniques to meditate.

pg1375 A gursikh way of meditating

ਕਬੀਰ ਚਾਵਲ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਤੁਖ ਕਉ ਮੁਹਲੀ ਲਾਇ ॥

Kabeer, the rice is beaten with a mallet to get rid of the husk.

ਸੰਗਿ ਕੁਸੰਗੀ ਬੈਸਤੇ ਤਬ ਪੂਛੈ ਧਰਮ ਰਾਇ ॥੨੧੧॥

When people sit in evil company, the Righteous Judge of Dharma calls them to account. ||211||

ਨਾਮਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਕਹੈ ਤਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਮੀਤ ॥

Trilochan says, O Naam Dayv, Maya has enticed you, my friend.

ਕਾਹੇ ਛੀਪਹੁ ਛਾਇਲੈ ਰਾਮ ਨ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਚੀਤੁ ॥੨੧੨॥

Why are you printing designs on these sheets, and not focusing your consciousness on the Lord? ||212||

ਨਾਮਾ ਕਹੈ ਤਿਲੋਚਨਾ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਰਾਮੁ ਸੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲਿ ॥

Naam Dayv answers, O Trilochan, chant the Lord's Name with your mouth.

ਹਾਥ ਪਾਉ ਕਰਿ ਕਾਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਚੀਤੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੨੧੩॥

With your hands and feet, do all your work, but let your consciousness remain with the Immaculate Lord. ||213||

it is extremely hard to understand the meaning of his shabad according to Gurmat.

From my knowledge I know that Gurmat does not support YOG SADHNA and this shabad by Bhagat Jaidev ji is being taken as supporting some sodarshan chakra kriya of meditation by our SIKHNET brothers. (I could be wrong).

anyone wants to shed more light on it?

Bhagat ji Himself answers this question. pg 526

ਪਰਮਾਦਿ ਪੁਰਖਮਨੋਪਿਮੰ ਸਤਿ ਆਦਿ ਭਾਵ ਰਤੰ ॥

Paramaadh Purakhamanopiman Sath Aadh Bhaav Rathan ||

In the very beginning, was the Primal Lord, unrivalled, the Lover of Truth and other virtues.

ਪਰਮਦਭੁਤੰ ਪਰਕ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਪਰੰ ਜਦਿਚਿੰਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੧॥

Paramadhabhuthan Parakirath Paran Jadhichinth Sarab Gathan ||1||

He is absolutely wonderful, transcending creation; remembering Him, all are emancipated. ||1||

ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਮਨੋਰਮੰ ॥

Kaeval Raam Naam Manoraman ||

Dwell only upon the beauteous Name of the Lord,

ਬਦਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਤਤ ਮਇਅੰ ॥

Badh Anmrith Thath Maeian ||

The embodiment of ambrosial nectar and reality.

ਨ ਦਨੋਤਿ ਜ ਸਮਰਣੇਨ ਜਨਮ ਜਰਾਧਿ ਮਰਣ ਭਇਅੰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

N Dhanoth Jasamaranaen Janam Jaraadhh Maran Bhaeian ||1|| Rehaao ||

Remembering Him in meditation, the fear of birth, old age and death will not trouble you. ||1||Pause||

ਇਛਸਿ ਜਮਾਦਿ ਪਰਾਭਯੰ ਜਸੁ ਸ੍ਵਸਤਿ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਕ੍ਰਿਤੰ ॥

Eishhas Jamaadh Paraabhayan Jas Svasath Sukirath Kirathan ||

If you desire to escape the fear of the Messenger of Death, then praise the Lord joyfully, and do good deeds.

ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਭਾਵ ਸਮਬ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਅੰ ਪਰਮੰ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨਮਿਦੰ ॥੨॥

Bhav Bhooth Bhaav Samabiyaan Paraman Prasannamidhan ||2||

In the past, present and future, He is always the same; He is the embodiment of supreme bliss. ||2||

ਲੋਭਾਦਿ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਪਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੰ ਜਦਿਬਿਧਿ ਆਚਰਣੰ ॥

Lobhaadh Dhrisatt Par Grihan Jadhibidhh Aacharanan ||

If you seek the path of good conduct, forsake greed, and do not look upon other men's property and women.

ਤਜਿ ਸਕਲ ਦੁਹਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੁਰਮਤੀ ਭਜੁ ਚਕ੍ਰਧਰ ਸਰਣੰ ॥੩॥

Thaj Sakal Dhuhakirath Dhuramathee Bhaj Chakradhhar Saranan ||3||

Renounce all evil actions and evil inclinations, and hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord. ||3||

ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤ ਨਿਜ ਨਿਹਕੇਵਲਾ ਰਿਦ ਕਰਮਣਾ ਬਚਸਾ ॥

Har Bhagath Nij Nihakaevalaa Ridh Karamanaa Bachasaa ||

Worship the immaculate Lord, in thought, word and deed.

ਜੋਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਜਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਦਾਨੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਤਪਸਾ ॥੪॥

Jogaen Kin Jagaen Kin Dhaanaen Kin Thapasaa ||4||

What is the good of practicing Yoga, giving feasts and charity, and practicing penance? ||4||

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੇਤਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਰ ਸਕਲ ਸਿਧਿ ਪਦੰ ॥

Gobindh Gobindhaeth Jap Nar Sakal Sidhh Padhan ||

Meditate on the Lord of the Universe, the Lord of the Universe, O man; He is the source of all the spiritual powers of the Siddhas.

ਜੈਦੇਵ ਆਇਉ ਤਸ ਸਫੁਟੰ ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੫॥੧॥

Jaidhaev Aaeio Thas Safuttan Bhav Bhooth Sarab Gathan ||5||1||

Jai Dayv has openly come to Him; He is the salvation of all, in the past, present and future. ||5||1||

Answer is clear from Bhagat ji himself.

And followers of Yogi Harbhajan need to look more to gurbani to justify there manmat prachar.

Its disclaimer of Sant Kabeer ji, if anybody translates any of his shabads according to yoga practise.

ਨਾ ਮੈ ਜੋਗ ਧਿਆਨ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥

I have not used yoga techniques to control my mind.

ਬਿਨੁ ਬੈਰਾਗ ਨ ਛੂਟਸਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

ਕੈਸੇ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥

ਜਬ ਨ ਹੋਇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਅਧਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਖੋਜਉ ਅਸਮਾਨ ॥

ਰਾਮ ਸਮਾਨ ਨ ਦੇਖਉ ਆਨ ॥੨॥੩੪॥

Bhagat Kabeer ji page 329

ਜੋਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਜਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਦਾਨੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਤਪਸਾ ॥੪॥

Jogaen Kin Jagaen Kin Dhaanaen Kin Thapasaa ||4||

What is the good of practicing Yoga, giving feasts and charity, and practicing penance? ||4

Now charity for sake of liberation(mukti) is condemned here, its hindu ritual to donate cow for liberation. There are many ways of Tapasaya(ਤਪਸਾ) used by people for liberation i.e. one makes a circle of fire and sit in between for meditation,these type of practise are condemned throught out gurbani.

Now, sikhi practise Vand chak is Sewa not Daan and an obligation towards society not for liberation(mukti). People run hospitals, schools and do many things to help the society.

You have your view, I have mine, my view, always have a big way to look at things. Yoga techniques are good for health,they can increase your life span is real picutre and it does not help in spirituality. Yoga as term is always used because of indian tradition, there are many other exercises but yoga being the oldest tradition many things falls into yoga.

Sikhs yoga is done on "Tapti tavi(hot iron plates), charkhadian(wheels), aare(saw),boiling water" and done by giving head, getting cut part by part,getting split in between.

In Japji Guru Nanak ji clears " jor jugat na choote sansaar" yoga practises are jukti to control one's mind it can't help you in liberation, but Guru Nanak Sahib Says " Hukam razai chalna nanak likhya naal" one who surrender to his hukam only that person can control his mind and can be liberated.