To take Amrit

Guest Christian

Guest Christian

Hi there,

I am from a Christian background and have taken deep interest into the Sikh Faith, what is the steps that one must take in order to become a baptised Sikh?

Thanks

Hey... Thats amazing your taking an interest in the Sikh faith

i think you should go to the Gurdwara... You can be apart of the sangat, do sewa, Pray.. There are lots of PDF online that are about Gurbani.. There are loads on this site... I think you should ask an elder of the Gurdwara.. They can tell you what yo need to do as well... If you don't know any gurdware then Google it and see which ones are closest to you. Good Luck Bro

Welcome To the Family :)

:waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru: :waheguru:

Hi there,

I am from a Christian background and have taken deep interest into the Sikh Faith, what is the steps that one must take in order to become a baptised Sikh?

Thanks

First of all, You must know, there are some rules and regulations, you have to follow and respect the rest of your life......

You have to keep your hair uncut on your entire body

Be one woman man, and that woman would be your wife only........no extra marital affair or relations before marriage......

No drinking, meat, clubbing

then there are deeper ones, that you'll know once you start undrestanding the teachings....

Start understanding the "Gurbani", meaning and teachings from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and the lives of the Sikh Gurus..............it'll give you deeper understanding.........the you can start practicing "Nitnem"/"meditation", and then you self-analyize yourself.....if still interested, ...you can go" take amrit".....

Start doing "sewa"

listen/read to the English translation of the teachings

"Sikhi" is all about being one with God........

Guest Christian

I am aware of these rules. I have grown my hair and already do not eat meat/fish/egg. I have started nitnem also but feel stuck in where I am going.

How much knowledge must I have before taking amrit?

well....it depends on your innerslef...it's your spiritual connection with HIM.....nobody's to tell you.......you can take amrit any time, as long as you know you can and will follow it respectfully and with love, and keep reading the teachings and lives of Gurus and Sikhs.....learning is never ending continous process.....we all learn from their lives and make our physical and spiritual life better & better over time...........

The word "Sikh" means to learn.......we learn even after we have taken amrit.......

If you are sure of your decision, your doubts are clear...you can take amrit now.........

The thing you should beleive in is" Amrit" is not a simple thing"...not everybody can have it...you'll get only when god will bless you....and nobody knows how this thing works.....only God knows......If HE wants you to have it, you'll get it no matter what.......if not, nobody can make it happen........it's not in anybody's hand....it's in Guru's hand

May God bless you

If you feel prepared and know you can live your life as an amritdhari Sikh then you should take amrit. Vaisakhi coming up soon, be the perfect time to take amrit. :D

How much knowledge must I have before taking amrit?

You can gain knowledge of Sikh history and bani after you take amrit. I'd say go for it as long as you know the rehit and can keep it.

waheguru ji

i would suggest you to wear all 5 kakars atleast a month so you can understand the difficulties and afterwards when you take amrit you will understand how to prevent

any kakar going apart of your body

kachera /kes are most important

if you accidently take kachera off your body you will have to pesh to panj payaare and do ardas

while removing kachera , have it in one leg and new one in other leg .

kachera must always be aleast in one leg , never be appart

kachera must not be changed without naked head or shoulders

head always to be covered even while sleeping

here is the damdami taksals rehat maryada http://www.gurmatveechar.com/books/Gurmat.Rehat.Maryada.(GurmatVeechar.com).pdf

Christian bro, don't worry about being prepared for amrit or not just take amrit..don't worry- taking amrit its just admission to the spiritual school- there is lot more to learn after the admission- grades, diploma, degree, masters, phd (well not literally but you get the idea yea) ..!! :p

WOW!! THAT IS SOO COOL. I SUPPORT YOU ALL THE WAY. THE TENTH MASTER: GURU GOBIND SINGH JI IS WAITING FOR YOU TO JOIN HIS FAMILY. BE A PART OF HIM. I CAN GET YOU SOME REALLLLLYY INSPIRING STORIES TO MOTIVATE YOU EVEN FURTHER BRO!!!! I WISH ALLL THE BEST FOR YOU.. YOU ARE TRULY AN ISPIRATIONAL SOUL. WHERE SIKHS SHOULD ALL BE AMRITDHARI YOU ARE TEACHING US, MAKING US FOOLS AWARE HOW AGHIRATGHAN WE ARE. WAHEGURU I PRAY FOR YOU MATE!!