Punjab holiday

Guest cautiouspenji

Guest cautiouspenji

maybe going holiday to punjab soon, jalandhar phagwara area, but very worried about going as i have health problems, and not sure wat to expect once i get there, although will be staying with family but worried.

could somebody plz answer my worries and queries?

1. where can i get dried food like in uk, eg: cereals, bread etc? groceries, jalandhar phagwara area?

2. is the bottled water okay to drink there, as heard some stories even that is tampered with.

3. When going to gurdwaras i guess its okay to have langar? As i will be eating mostly at home and try not to eat from outside.

4. When going to Harmandir Sahibji any facilities for people with disabilities or reduced mobility?

5. How would i go about booking a room at Harmandir Sahib ji, how long in advance or better to book once i get there, and wat is provided with the room, eg: washing facilities? bed?

6. is the milk okay to drink or any special instructions?

7. Any further info for when travelling to Hazoor Sahib ji, not sure if going yet, but if i do will be with a sevadar from there, so accomodation may not be a problem, but any other info will be appreciated.

8. Anything else I may need to know during my stay there?

9. Anything precautions i would need to take when going there, or things i should not do to respect th places i will be visiting. dependin on time would like to go to Baba Budhaji's gurdwara and wherever Waheguru allows me to go, and depends on who will take me and time and my health, and length of journey.

10. Any Sikhi-related places worth visiting near jalandhar phagwara area that i may not know of?

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated, also going after long time so very nervous.

Thankuji Sangat ji...

There's a supermarket called Easy Day in Jalandhar somewhere. They sell everything.

Don't drink the bottled water. Boil some water in a pan and refrigerate it. Also take water purifying tablets and add those afterwards.

Langar is ok but again leave the jal and just have a parshada and some daal/sabji.

I personally stay away from dairy in India. I may have a very small amount of butter or dahi now and again but that's it.

Whenever I go to India, I do not eat out ever. Hygiene is despicable pretty much everywhere. I always eat very little and drink lots of water. Take plenty of medication with you. Good luck and enjoy.

Don't be nervous. Just have your wits about you. Bottled water is great, but I'm not sure about the tampering thing, so if you believe there's a threat of people messing with bottled water just be a bit selective about where you buy it from.

You probably know that in Gurughars in India there's a small "pool" / recessed part of the ground in which sangat wash their feet before entering, so if that's a problem you might want to think of a way of overcoming that. Possibly ask someone to carry you over, and keep some water in a bottle with you and drizzle it over your feet before you enter so that you don't feel like you've entered with dirty feet!

Be brave!

Definately have langar. I only eat at home, reshtidaars or at a gurdwara. I drank bottled water but it may have been tampered with. Try get water from shops that look trustworthy. DO NOT EAT FROM DHABAS OR BHAIYE WITH THEIR LITTLE WOODEN CARTS SELLING GOL GUPPE. These places will probably make you ill. Trust me, they made life a misery for me for a few days. Hazoor sahib is a great trip. We hired a minibus and slept/ate at gurdware on the way. Saw many gurdware and beautiful sights I would never have got the chance to see. Definately recomend it. Watch out for the machar (mosquito). Watch out for the ownerless kutte as well. Some don't like foreign people. Hopefully you have a great trip. :D

Easy Day is part owned by Walmart and you will get pretty much everything there that you buy in the West. The bottled water there is also trustworthy as are the soft drinks/ juices. Do not drink any water at restaurants or even at relatives or friends houses. Take bottled water with you and drink it there.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

One option for stay in Amritsar is

http://matakaulanjibhalaikendertrust.com/Matakaulanji/index.php/trust-activities/sangat-niwas

They can also assist in your trip & stay to Hazur Sahib.

Another option is

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/golden-temple-and-himalayan-meditation-tour

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest cautiouspenji

thankuji for all your replies.

i assume it will be ok to shower and brush teeth with the tap water? or do people normally use bottle water for teeth? gosh wat a palavaa, all this organization just for 2wks.

@kalyugi y should we not go thru the water with our feet?

few people mentioned easydays, where is that?

will take a good read before doing my check list.

to be honest dont want to go to nobody house, may have a wedding, is the food ok to eat there? guess same as advised as normal?

all i want to do is go to the gurdwaras n see these places that are relevant to Sikhi. dnt even want to go for the eating and facilities issue. i know its fussy but when one has health issues just have to organise bit more and be more cautious.

dont even want to see no extended family, no pyar left no more. just hope Waheguru takes me and i return safely. really want to benefit from going to the dharmic places this time without being ill, as last time did not know much about Sikhi. Waheguru mehr kare.

Thankuji, please keep any other advice coming.

When drinking bottled water make sure the seal is not broken.

If the seal is not broken then it should be okay to drink, if the seal is broken then do not drink, even if the shopkeeper/cafe owner says that he just opened the

bottle for you, insist on a bottle with seal intact, they sometimes just fill the plastic bottles with tap water.

VJKK VJKF

When I went to India last year, guru kirpa, I experienced no issues with my health. I always drank boiled water, even when travelling I took boiled water that had been cooled and I bottled it myself. I never used bottle water (at the house I was mainly residing, the water had been through a water filter) to brush my teeth but I made sure I didn't swallow any. I mainly ate home made food (roti and sabji), I ate langar at certain gurdwarae but I didn't have jal. Sometimes I took a packed lunch. I did have cereal and milk for breakfast (I took my own cereal and the milk was from the home farm).

Don't forget to pack Jungle insect repellent pump spray, I took a bottle of the maximum strength, take it with you when you travel, you may need to top up in the evening. You will find some regions are worse than others. You could take some antihistamine incase you get bitten/ have an allergic reaction (providing you are okay to take them or use a cream).

@kalyugi y should we not go thru the water with our feet?

I was just saying if you can't walk unaided, or some people have those special types of shoe because one leg is shorter than the other.

Also, I wouldn't be too hyper-sensitive, i.e. ensuring not one drop of foreign water is to enter your mouth or anything like that. Resident Panjabi's start taking the mick if you show too much nakhre however justified you are in taking care of yourself. If all that's going to come out of your mouth is 'nahi, nahi' it won't be much fun for you or those around you. You won't keel over by drinking a glass of water served with your langar. If you do get the runs for a few days it doesn't matter! It's all part of the experience.

Stiff upper-lip, head-high, chest out, left, right, left, right! :cool2: