The <banned word filter activated> Shaming of Sikh Sisters by their own Sikh Brothers.

GyanParbodh

I received a message from a sister who had read my previous post on trimming my beard and revealed that she had many times been the victim of similar marginalization. But let’s not call it marginalization; let’s call it for what it is: &lt;banned word filter activated&gt; shaming. That’s right; &lt;banned word filter activated&gt; Shaming. It’s where our Sikh men, mostly youth, with their omniscient knowledge of all things Sikhi, have engaged in a crusade against their own sisters. A crusade where these men dictate what is socially acceptable and what is not for women. A crusade where women are made to feel inferior for acts of their own free will. How dare a Sikh women think, speak and act for herself.

This is a crusade of unprecedented proportions, and a crusade so utterly violent in nature that it serves to further ostracize untold numbers of Sikh women into isolation: a dark, empty vacuum of existence where they are constantly trying to appease their male counter-parts and live up the ideals that these men have created.

This crusade, this inquisition of Sikh women, needs to stop. This is not how Sikhs are supposed to behave. To publicly display pictures of our own Sikh sisters who may happen to trim their eyebrows, shave their legs, show some bare skin, wear shorts, or engage in any form of public intimacy with their significant others, is unethical, un-Sikh and disturbing.

This isn’t insensitivity; this is an outright display of male patriarchy, of re-enforcing hierarchical system that places males on top and dominate. This is so much more: an extremism that is taking hold of our entitled youth, and yes, entitled they are. Now that they’ve taken Amrit, and look the part, they feel as if they can go around enforcing this physical identity on others.

I’m trying very hard to be placid here with my disgust. A group from the UK recently uploaded a picture of a young women on their facebook page and &lt;banned word filter activated&gt;-shamed her. I thought to myself: is this how our Guru’s engaged our community? By denouncing them with such violent acts of shaming, and especially their own daughters.

What happened to love and understanding? What happened to identifying with those at the margins, and in this male dominated, sexist, misogynistic life: our sisters. Instead of understanding and loving our sisters, we lash at them with whips and chains, until they are subjugated, reduced to nothing, and then we enforce our narrow minded realities on them.

Ask yourselves this question: Would Guru Gobind Singh march his own daughters around a village and denounce them as sluts and whores? The answer is that he would not. So why do these men feel as if they are locating their actions in Sikhism?

http://singhsdoingthings.com

Now here is a big problem among youth.

I'm not sure what this is about, but judgementalism isn't a part of Sikhi.

At the end of the day we have the Sikh rehit maryada and everyone knows it and if someone does something, we should uplift them and inspire them. You can't force someone to be chardikala right away.

From what I've heard if you judge someone and make their life miserable for their lack of chardi kala-actions, they will be disheartened and want to tread away.

I know it sounds wrong, but this is just what I've got from the whole situation. There is obvious Gurmat and nonGurmat and when people do something that isn't Gurmat, I think they know it already/

Fascism has no place in Sikhi. Guru Maharaj, his sons along with puratan shahids and murid sgave shaheediya so other people can practice whatever they want without any oppression, ironically we have our own sikhs go against guru maharaj sidhants...today we don't need outside aurenzeb or outside aurenzeb sharia rule to oppress people..we have our own aurenzeb sikhs shoving their aurenzeb sikhi on people's throat oppressing them, instead of doing proper parchar. I have been fighting against any kind of fascism carefully for 6-8 yrs i will continue to do so until my last breath while try to strike a right balance.

This has to be stop, you give fascist-anti social hostile element in our panth- arm they want the whole body...We need to find out the root of fascism..we need to study these fascist where they do belong, whats their ideology and get elderly either their parents, our senior gurmukhs, sri akaal takth involve isiolate them and nail them to the wall- come up statements to condemn fascism to possible strongest terms then provide further help to them re-integrate back in to Gurmat. We need some control on both left wing nut bars and right wing before these goons hijack our panth and bring shame to our Guru Maharaj Sidhant giving freedom of liberty to everyone without any oppression..!!!!!

Agreed, I think the reason why people turn to such methodology is because of lack of understanding of Sikhi and lack of intellect to get a message across to explain the reasons for a particular practice.

Frustration from not being able to communicate with others brings anger and ego into the picture and that messes everything up.

At the same time we can't be so loose that we blindly accept manmat being propagated with force into Sikhi, but to fix it there is a Gurmat way.

This idea of manmat seems a problem. Isn't the majority of things we do man mat? A Sikh in no way be dealing in such name and same tactics and trying to push their opinions on others. The original post is not referring to stuff like clubbing drinking etc amongst Sikhs but about bibiya, singhniya that may do eyebrows or remove facial hair etc.. Like Neo said this katar-vaad needs to be dealt with or you are basically going to find people moving away from Sikhi completely. Sunday Sikhs are better than No Sikhs.

I wouldn't be suprised one day if someone finds out about these name and shame goons, self righteous cactus jacks when was the last time they flew and when they took off their sri sahib, take pictures of them- taking off their sri sahib when they fly, so they can be plasetered all over the internet. and let people demonize and villify them...so that people can see see how they feel, let them feel the heat and taste of their own medicine....hopefully no one destroy their peace of mind doing that but if someone did, these self righteous cactus jacks shouldn't explain as table can turn against them anytime or any day, remember its kalyug.. !!

Hum Nahi Changee bora na koi ||

The thing is Neo that these type of people do a lot worse undercover, but try to portray themshelves as saviours of the panth. In my teen years a lot of my 'friends' were like this. Sikhi does not need a rehat police. It does not need Sikhs being exposed and vilified for personal indiscretions. People that indulge in such behaviour are devils.