What Made You Interested In Gurmat?

akjforever

I found this on another board,

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1&i=141&t=141

and

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...1&i=2924&t=2924

********************************************************************************

Author: Daas

Date: 07-16-03 10:47

Waheguru jee ka Khalsa, Waheguru jee ke Fateh !!

I was raised in a family where there was quite good awareness of Gurbani. My father studied in Akali Kaur Singh jee's Ashram and was loved very much by Akali jee. We were taught 5 Nitname Bannis by our father at a very young age. Even though our family knew about Sikhi concepts, but we were not aware of Nam.

I left my house to do my Engg. in southern part of India. I had an urge from a long time to be Amrit Dhari, hence during my first months in Engg. college, i went to Huzoor sahib for Amrit Chakh. I was very much loved by the Amrit-Dhari Singhs in our college.

Fortunately, there was a small group of AKJ Singhs in my college. One of the Chardi-Kala Singh used to do kirtan in his room during evening and in morning by himself and also told me to join him. He was a Sarab-Lohi Singh and used to cook his food in his small room by himself. He never used to talk much, but if someone ask him any questions about Sikhi, he used to have many copies of these three books: 1) Jail-chittian, 2) Ranglae-sajan and lastly 3) Sikh dharam ate maas sharab – by J.P Sangat Singh) and used to give those set of books to

read. Who ever read those books, was totally changed and within weeks were Amrit-Dhari, hence a very different way of spreading Siki concepts.

Once, i asked him something and he gave me Jail-Chittian to read. I started this book and i was so into it that i read it in one night. This Singh was a very Gupt Singh and used to always refer Bhai Veer Singh jee quotes that "maano chupae rahan dee chah" and used to tell that Bhai Veer Singh says that "if you are a farmer and are sowing seeds, then you have to hide the seed from external environment and if a farmer keep exposing the seed all the time then his seeds will die. In the same way the seed of Naam should not be exposed to external waves of Ustat & Vadayee. These things will also kill the seed of Naam".

We always used to think that he is a very lazy bum, because he used to go to sleep at 7:00 PM and when we used to get up for college at 7:00 AM he was still asleep (in our view).

Actually, once i was suspicious and wanted to know his schedule and hence planned to watch him. At 12:00 night, he used to get up and used to go to Gurdwara sahib (besides hostel) to clean all the toilets and then do Isnan (bathe) and then spend his morning doing Simran and Gurbani. While he was cleaning toilets i just followed him and then patted him at the back, looking at me he started crying and was down there into my feet requesting me not to let anyone know. I was really impressed by his way of Seva and humbleness.

As he was not allowed to do Kirtan at nights, hence he used to sneak out from Hostel and go to a "Sumshan ghar" (funeral place) at back of the Gurughar. This Singh used to do kirtan at night for many hours and i can not express the kind of Kirtan and the love this Singh had for Guru sahib jee. While, other students used to sneak out at night to watch late night movies, but this Singh used to sneak out for Kirtan.

With Guru jee Grace and Sangat of AKJ Singhs i was able to attend Samagams. Students from my town used to g

o home in holidays, but we used to attend Samagams. It was great time and I really miss that time and Sangat and love of Gurusikhs.

Hence, my Engg. College was a kind of Sikhi School for me where with Guru jee dee kirpa, i was able to understand Gursikhi. There were also other very chardi-kala singhs in our college, whom i had seen with my eyes sleeping at night and Simran continuously flowing out from their body.

When i finished my Engg. degree i came to my home town and was amazed to know that there was also a great increase in AKJ sangat.

Hence, with guru jee dee kirpa i was able to have love of sangat from long time.

Daas

Author: Daas

Date: 07-17-03 21:42

Waheguru jee ka Khalsa, Waheguru jee ke Fateh !!

Thanks for asking for more information. I am really proud that Gurusikhs still have same kind for love for Sikhi. I only have one request for Gurusikhs to do ardas for me so that i can be in Guru sahib jee dee yaad all the time.

The GUPT singh i mentioned in my text earlier, is still in India.

He was very famous in our college as Khalsa Jee. All the students and even the Principle of our college was scared of him due to his rehani-sehani (Gurusikhi life style). He was an amazing kirtani, his voice was like a Lion (BABAR SHER). He never needed speaker in front of him while doing kirtan. He was an amazing Akhand-Pathi. All his exams were passed, without him studing. Just remembed, that once we all were doing kirtan in cremation ground at night and when we were done and we opened our eyes, we saw many dogs surrounding us and sitting in a peace. It seemed that they even were thirsty for something from a long long time.

I think there are lots and lots of Guru jee dae chardi-kala singhs all around the world. We can write tons of books on their life history and Pyaar for GURU JEE. What i have seen that the only thing about all these Singhs were that they were very PAKKAE in their rehani-behanie. Khalsa jee even if had to remain

hungry for many days, he will never compromise on anything else.

They have very strict Rehat and used to read Gurubani all the time and Naam Jaap. I have seen that when these AKJ singhs from my college used to get together or visit each other, they never used to talk about worldy things. They used to sit together at once and either do Naam Jaap or keep reading Gurbani or do kirtan. I have never seen them talking about anything else. Gurbani was flowing in their blood streams and was reflected in their jeevan, full of utmost Nimrata and Payar for everyone.

Khalsa jee always used to hide in the Joora ghar (Shoe Place) at the back and used to polish sangat shoes. He never disclosed what he had, but as guru jee says that those kinds of souls automatically get known to all, due to their Jeevan. I remember he used to make Mango Lassi in his Sarab-loh Pots and used to serve us first. I can still feel the taste of that Lassi and had never tasted anything like that in my life. Even if we were not Sarab-lohi he always, used to feed others first and what ever was left used to eat himself.

I also want to mention one thing that those singhs used to do simran in a very chardi-kala mode. The way they used to do is explained in Bhai Sahib jee's "Naam-Abyas Kamie" book, in the last chapter --- where Bhai sahib jee says about "Faratae and Garate".

There is one more Singh in my home town in India. At that time he was Jathadar of AKJ in my home town. He is a very good Kirtini and most of the AKJ Singhs in my home town are Sarab-Lohi. He has a unique way of doing seva. He is well known in my home town to all the general public, even hindus and muslims. When ever anyone dies they call him and let him know that such and such person died (regardless of religion). He is a teacher and owns a van and he then calls others AKJ singhs at night to be ready to pick them up, to do kirtan in the house where someone died.

He took me many times to these programs at night. When he enters the house,

where people are crying because somone died, he and all the Singhs goes in the room where the dead body is placed and start doing kirtan and keep on doing it for many many hours, even for whole night. Through kirtan he makes deceased relatives understand that how wrong is to cry and what Guru jee says. In this way it gives them comfort through Gurubani and when he starts kirtan, pin-drop silence starts. These Kirtan programs are real thrillers and make our wondring mind realize the truth.

I think he is doing a great seeva. I saw that during BHOG of kirtan relatives pledging him to stay and do kirtan to comfort them.

I think it is enough for now and hope everyone enjoyed these little glimpses from Gurusikhs jeevan.

Daas

********************************************************************************

I was just curious at what point in your life you knew that you wanted to be a Sikh, were there any obstacles for you?

WJKK WJKF

Vaaheguroo jee kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Wow!!

That "What Made you Interested in Gurmat" Thread along with the other thread are probably 2 of the best threads on any Sikh Forum I have ever read in my life...

Let's hope the Gursikhs at Tapoban.org keep their wonderful seva going.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I don't think we should be commenting on who likes who, who doesnt like who, or why...

but i will say this.. tapoban sangat keeps very strict rehat and does a lot of naam/bani/abhyaas and many people do not want to keep strict rehat themselves and criticize those that do to make them look bad.

I think Mkhalsa touched on a good point,

But mostly, to answer SikhforLife's question,

I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the sangat from Tapoban, and the reason they appear to be "different" is because in their opinion the jatha (AKJ) was so much more than just a "Keertanee Jatha" in decades past.

It was a jatha which tried to practice and do parchaar of all forms of Gurmat. (Lareedar Saroop of SGGS, Sarbloh Bibek, Proper Maryada in regards to Langar and Degh, Strict adherence to Amrit Vela, etc.)

Tapoban Sangat has lots of respect for other AKJs and is definitely an extremely warm and loving sangat.

A lot of stereotypes and misinformations are out there about them.

Almost all of these are wrong.

Guest SikhForLife

vjkk vjkf

i am sure they are good people

i havent met any.. just heard that some famous and oldest akj singhs.. dont like the way tapoban works.. never understood it.. but i dont really care

i dont believe in jathas.. just be a good sikh.. and follow SGGS and rehat