is it ok to accept food from a sehajdhari dad who drinks once per week?

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa !!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!

for now i am not accepting if he is helping in making a particular dish . :huh2:

im the only Amritdhari in my family except my grandparents which do not live with us.

out of us 4 only dad drinks like once per week.

Try to have a right balance in life and in sikhi, don't make sikhi into dogma to the point- where you have to decide whether to take food from our own father and mother, if you are concerned about food from your father being unholy- do recite gurbani with full faith, full devotion and prem that should purify the food (if you don't think that will purify, thats our own shortcoming in sikhi-lack of own one's sharda and prem in gurbani) so take Sahara of Gurbani.. instead of hurting them emotionally, you may want to contact senior gurmukhs and mahapursh as well but all in all- when it comes to our father and mother do remember there is nothing unholy about them feeding you, if we think they are unholy when engaging with their own kids despite of them engaging in unholy activity such as drinking then we all need to go back when we are made biologically- how much holy and unholy was that thought which concepted us? how much holy and unholy was that sperm (biraj) and rakth(blood egg) which made us ? how much holy and unholy was the act itself which made us? how much holy and unholy was it when we are connected with our mother in our mother womb through ambical cord?.

I agree with the posters above. He is your father and we are to respect our parents. If he cooks as he is drinking then you can speak to him about that and explain to him that it interferes with your beliefs and you would prefer it if he cooked sober.

jin kae janae baddeerae thum ho thin sio jhagarath paap ||1|| rehaao ||
It is a sin to argue with the one who fathered you and raised you. ||1||Pause||

Ang 1200

I think sometimes we take Sikhi to the point where we have "holier than thou" attitude.

jin kae janae baddeerae thum ho thin sio jhagarath paap ||1|| rehaao ||

Ang 1200

I think sometimes we take Sikhi to the point where we have "holier than thou" attitude.

Correct me if im wrong, was it not Bhagat Prahlaad Maharaj who argued with his father, when his father told him to study?

Reading the whole Shabad it becomes clear, Satguru is talking to a son, who is arguing with his father for worldly desires. But then Satguru adds in the second last tuk:

jo qumry pRB hoqy suAwmI hir iqn ky jwphu jwp ]

jo thumarae prabh hothae suaamee har thin kae jaapahu jaap ||

He is God, your Lord and Master - chant the Chant of that Lord.

Meaning he (Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj) is your father and chant his name and submit to his Hukam. A birth father can't provide a person with worldly desires, it is HIM alone who provides worldly desires and spiritual advice. So son chant his name and you will understand what is accepted in this world and the next world.

aupdysu krq nwnk jn qum kau jau sunhu qau jwie sMqwp ]2]1]7]

oupadhaes karath naanak jan thum ko jo sunahu tho jaae sa(n)thaap ||2||1||7||

Servant Nanak spreads the Teachings; if you listen to it, you shall be rid of your pain. ||2||1||7||

Forgot to add this................some might be thinking so are you saying we can argue with our father? I am not saying this at all neither is the shabad saying this. Satguru is saying recognize the true essence of life of meditating on Maharaj and then your mind will not want or desire worldly desires you will not fight with your father for them. You will be beyond worldly desires and will possess the virtues to ask for Maharaj unity. Bhagat Prahlaad Ji Maharaj did argue with is his father because Bhagat ji was being stopped from meditating on his father; Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj.

This is silly, bhaji, do you accept him as your father? If yes then dont bring up stupid things like this, because you might start off young amritdhari kids revolting against their fathers. Did you or would you complain that when you were a newborn or a child that your father was working hard to provide you with food shelter and clothing?

What about if your own kids turn around 1 day and say something to you, oh you dont do this right, we will question whether we can eat your food?

Correct me if im wrong, was it not Bhagat Prahlaad Maharaj who argued with his father, when his father told him to study?

Reading the whole Shabad it becomes clear, Satguru is talking to a son, who is arguing with his father for worldly desires. But then Satguru adds in the second last tuk:

Prehald had no problem studying, it was the material that he was asked to study that he had a problem with, so you stand corrected.

Satguru is talking in this shabd, in the context of Uthanka, to his own son, Pirthi Chand, who was argiuing with his father, Guru Ram Das, over Gurgaddi.

this is the shabd in simnple english:

Saarang, Fourth Mehla, Third House, Du-Paday:

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

O son, why do you argue with your father?

That wealth, which you are so proud of - that wealth does not belong to anyone.

In an instant, you shall have to leave behind all your corrupt pleasures; you shall be left to regret and repent. ||1||

He is God, your Lord and Master - chant the Chant of that Lord.

Servant Nanak spreads the Teachings; if you listen to it, you shall be rid of your pain. ||2||1||7||

Guru Ji has said simply it is a sin to argue with the one who fathered and brought you up. simple.

If we look at the antreev arth, it saying to the mortal, that you will go alone , taking nothing with you of your money, but just your sins, which will make you weep.

Here is a link to Gurbani where the story of Bhagat Prahlaad ji Maharaj is told. There is no altercation to satisfy the ego, just the truth that Bhagat ji stood up to his father.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/64530-narsingh-and-bhagat-prahlad-ji-maharaj-katha/

Also here is the katha to the Shabad where the english does not do justice to the Shabad on arguing with a father. Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji has wonderfully explained the shabad in the historical context and spiritual context.

Raag Saarang--Ang-1200

Some just have a personal vendetta against me, so they will take things i say out of context for the purpose of picking fights. This will be my last post on this thread as such people have showed up in the thread.

I feel quite strongly about this topic, because my father passed away 9 years ago when i first start getting into sikhi. I think any mahapursh or senior gurmukhs will tell you seva of your parents are important compare to things which inadvertently hurts your parents feeling/emotions (if they have reasonable grounds). As i said earlier if you feel so strongly not eating from your sehajdhari father who drinks- take sahara of gurbani- recite gurbani with full faith/devotion/pyaar before accepting the food- that shall make it holy..!!. No ritual(be it good or bad) is above than Gurbani power, one needs to build faith and devotion in Gurbani..!!!!!!!!!!

if your dad is an alcoholic drug addict blah blah blah and he prepares food for you with "prem" that food is automatically bleesed....that same ffod is not blessed for me or next person but from the father to the son it is blesses.....the prem and relationship between mohter/father and son/daughter is soo paviter. its past amrit if they serve each other....no ofence people but this amrit thing is getting out of hand..take amrit and do not serve your parents may leave you in a worse position then not taking amrit and perving your parents... sanagt ji take amrit and serve your parents.. its all possible...