Inappropriate or not?

Guest concerned13

Guest concerned13

Hi there,

Have just stumbled across a little finding online. There is a new(ish?) restaurant in Nottingham which goes by the name of Singh's www.singhsnottingham.co.uk

However if you take a look at the website there appears to be a singh(or two) playing the harmonium and tabla.

Is this just a cheap show of kirtan? (if so this is very unfortunate) Whilst serving none vegetarian meals and alcohol?

Is this really appropriate?

Flick through the reviews..there is a comment along the lines of the tabla playing adding to the ambient atmosphere...

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any more information on this?

I've just had a look at the photo of the tabla playing Singhs. Having seen the foto I'm more concerned about the welfare of those tabla playing Singhs. They've been given a pathetically tight little corner barely big enough for a mouse and his family. It seems they had grand ideas of being high class but didn't have the foresight to make a stage or something for the music.

The 'high class dining' thing is clearly just an illusion as they're menu also contains such cordon bleu culinary delights as 'popcorn chicken' kfc style. :wow:

If they are singing gurbani kirtan at this kind of environment, then it pretty clear is beadhi as its bar type of restaurant have alcohol meat being served along with gurbani kirtan being reduced to as mere show...Singhs need to get together, knock some senses in these lefties politely But if they are singing normal songs indian classical songs then there is no issue- each to their own..!!..Many culture uses harmonium/tabla for singing but with that being said, sikh using harmonium and tabla could be easily assumed they are singing gurbani kirtan as it mimic quite closely as our raag kirtan singin gurbani with same instruments so even if they are not singing gurbani kirtan, they should have some sort of sign like indian classical music at the front and do their part.

Thanks WLS bro, technically they should be put sign or something so people don't take it wrong way...punjabis generally like to copy everything so last thing we want just someone making this as a trend and copying their style and sing gurbani kirtan (even if they are not) just because it looks "cool" and "unique"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest respectofsikhi?

Hi sangat ji... noticed i read something about this a week or so back...

Ok fresh news just in, it IS infact kirtan which is being played both on the restaurant floor AND live performances during the weekend. Is anyone actually up for sorting this issue out?

"So what is Sikhism then in 2013? I can give you a small idea what it means to some... I see a brand new restaurant from a distance, what caught my eye was the name of this place, “Singhs”... Not bad, the owner might be a proud Sikh or maybe wants to fill in a gap in the market etc. The “Singh” name was put forward/recognized by our Sikh Gurus as a purpose of identification and to avoid segregation. The meaning of it is simple - `heart of a lion.’ Naming your restaurant Singhs is kind of comprehensible, however when the word `bar’ is slapped on the same board, then I think the owner is either mentally ill or totally ill-advised. With regret I walked inside with a friend and ordered a starter, as the order was in process, what happened next was completely scandalous and immoral. The sound of kirtan (singing of the Sacred Hymns from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji accompanied by music) was playing out loud in the same area where alcohol and meat is being stored and distributed. Without causing too much of a fuss, we asked the owner to bag our food and left immediately. That level of dishonour to this beautiful and unique religion is inconceivable. I personally felt ashamed of myself walking out that place and giving them business. That guy has clearly lost his mind and has brought the name Singhs down to the ground and dragged the integrity of honest Sikhs through the mud! I’m just as bad for giving them my business and I feel guilt but never again! That’s my message to whoever has seen it in Nottingham or even if you’re an outsider, pass the message on, don’t give them your business! I wish good upon everyone, were all equal, but there is always a misguided apple in the bunch which needs to be set straight!" - from a student in nottingham.

"... we got our food and Got out of there..You wont need to record, the name above the door is more than enough! Im telling you, they were playing kirtan.. If you was to close your eyes and walk in, youde think your in a gurdwara but no! Shameful"

"They had the vaja and tabla there too, he even told us they played it live on the weekend.. He must be mentally disturbed i think"

Guest saddened

Sounds like a dodgy place. Aren't nottingham sikhs acting on this? Seems the owners see it as a selling tool if anything. What a cheap way to display gurbani!

Waheguru!
Its absurd. If there is sangat near this place, they should stop this. Some who call themselves "Sikhs" do have ignorance because the lack of true Panthic education among them, but how far is this going now? Guru Sahib Kirpa karan and bless us with more parchaar, it is every Sikh's duty to do parchaar and also to stand up if bedbi of our own father, Guru Gobind Singh ji's name is happening! Sangat near this place do stand up!