Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Fateh.. With the xmas tree make sure you have the turkey lunch with a glass of red..... Dont pick an choose... You saying xmas is about the xmas tree is like saying vaisakhi is like dhol and bhangra..for all. The ppl who gonna say dont compare vaisakhi with xmas etc im not and check your living room....even if goreh take the piss out of their own dharm dont jog along ppl... Jesus was a matry and one who personally i would not hesitata to do bhagti with...goreh that have an x mas tree an get pisssed are no different to those who get pissed at nagar kirtans... And yes it does happen at nagar kirtans...

I have a thaal and deeva whenever I take out my artificial Christmas tree heehee

Seriously, this is the first I've heard of worshipping a tree lol. I do like to think of myself as a tree hugger, but never a tree poojaer

What if you just have a decorated tree without presents, does that also constitute of pooja?

I have a thaal and deeva whenever I take out my artificial Christmas tree heehee

Seriously, this is the first I've heard of worshipping a tree lol. I do like to think of myself as a tree hugger, but never a tree poojaer

What if you just have a decorated tree without presents, does that also constitute of pooja?

I can see the logic behind equating pooja of a tree with pooja of a stone idol. Both represent symbols of something bigger in the mind of the "poojee" and therefore you could argue, as OnlyFive Ji has, that we are replacing one form of idolatry with another because we seem to think the "western" idolatry (of the Christmas tree, and by extension the observance of Christmas) is a lesser crime. It's a pretty salient point if I'm being honest.

these days im not sure that a christmas tree represents anything. Probably most parents have one just to keep their kids happy. Cos kids, christian or not, like and want, or even demand presents. So when they with their friends and stuff they dont feel left out.

it a case of just going along with the tide when it comes to trees and presents. If you look at the way xmas is thrust upon society, it is all about selling goods to people who should know better.

Is it ok to not celebrate xmas but be first in line for the xmas sales?

Chatanga jee, today in India if you see Sikh celebrating Hindu holydays, they say the same thing, "I'm not sure this day really celebrates Hinduism I just do it because it's fun and the children enjoy it", if this type of thinking will not confuse one's children then what will?

Jonny Bhaji, the difference is that no-one is actually celebrating xmas ie the birth of the Lord, whereas in india they are actually celebrating the hindu festival. If Sikhs are going to church and singin hallalujah, then somnething has gone wrong. Whats happeneing is that those sikhs are (like most) just participating in the most showy-sparkly aspects of xmas, that is putting up trees, giving presents and stuff.

If you took Jesus Maharaj out of the whole equation, do you think that Xmas still wouldnt be celebrated?

I think most of us had a laugh yesterday regarding this topic, but in all seriousness I do agree with what Jonny Ji is has posted. It's swimming against the tide and popular opinion but since when has following the right path ever been easy? Yet we must ensure that our own choice to follow our particular path isn't coloured by hate and ego for those who don't perhaps wish to do so. I think we must educate and then allow Sikhs to make their choice. All this must be done without a hint of judgmentalism and superiority. It may seem like a trivial topic to get our collective kachere into a twist over something as meaningless as a tree, but these things have a habit of snowballing. This current generation of Sikhs go the whole nine-yards with their trees and baubles (and neglecting to educate their offspring when Sikhi smagams come around), the next couple of generations begin attending midnight mass with the justification that "I don't really believe in Jesus but it's a tradition". It could happen!